Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sticking Pannier  (Read 1044 times)

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
Sticking Pannier
« on: September 26, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
The first time I tried to remove the N/S pannier to clean the bike I couldn't get it off. It would slide back but not finally release. The O/S was stiff but came off with a tap.

All locking mechanisms, rail etc had been lubed up by dealer.

I didn't want to force it so mentioned it to dealer at first service. They told me they swapped out the mounting rail. That pannier is now "loose" and rattles on bumpy stuff.

Looking at the rail and pannier it looks exactly the same as the O/S one which doesn't rattle.

How loose should they be? Should I expect them to rattle.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: Sticking Pannier
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 01:39:45 AM »
My panniers rattle a bit when empty or nearly empty. I believe it comes from the slider/attach points.

It was slightly bothersome at first, now I don't mind it; it lets me know the things are still there. 

It's a nice audible crumby pavement detector. :039:

My cases were also sticky and hard to mount and dismount at first but they have broken in and no more problems. I think it took me a while to learn how to apply the force to work them.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 01:42:37 AM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline divide wee

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 15 Burnt Orange
  • City / Town: Divide, CO USA
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:57:08 AM »
Also, when they are new and stiff, make sure they are all the way forward before you engage the lock or they can come off as you are riding. Don't ask how I know this. :11:
Mike

On the road for a couple of years

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 06:06:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by divide wee [+]
Also, when they are new and stiff, make sure they are all the way forward before you engage the lock or they can come off as you are riding. Don't ask how I know this. :11:

How can this happen? You can't remove the key if the locking system is in the pen/unlock position. At least on my 2015 version.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 07:02:58 AM »
I applied a small smear of Vaseline to the location posts, my panniers are a tight fit but very secure, I find that a light push with the palm of my hand helps to locate the panniers once they are correctly lined up

The advice to make sure they are fully located before trying to lock/engage the catches is good
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »
My panniers rattled a lot. It was very annoying.
Some times ago I checked that the panniers and the mounting rails were properly installed. Then I went to the dealer and I tried moving the panniers of different Versys. Most of them did not rattle, one did. :027:
This issue has already been discussed. Searching the forum you'll find some homemade solutions, but if you are under warranty I'd suggest a warranty claim.

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Yes my Left Pannier moves around a bit …..as well I believe Kawasaki has a little tape foam sticker kit that you can apply to the track to tighten them up  ..
Or you could apply some yourself , one side sticky foam tape comes in various thickness and width

( insulating tape for weatherproofing doors /windows  etc )
https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,16900.msg195347.html#msg195347

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:43:23 PM by Keener »

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »
The cases come with some strips of tape which can be put down inside the sliding channels on the grab bars. I don't think they were fitted on my bike.

I carry some bungees and other small items in one case, which rattle around anyway going over a bumpy surface. So... I'm never going to get complete silence back there.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 04:58:15 PM »
My kit came without tape strips. Maybe that's why sometimes I felt like I was followed by the shelf of a hardware store.

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 09:59:48 PM »
I did mention it to the Salesman and he mentioned there were some sticky foam inserts if I needed them. I initially thought perhaps these had just been removed from the one side to free it off. When I had chance to look properly I realised they weren't on either side.

Would have thought sticky foam would be pulled off byvtgecsliding/locking motion.

Will take him up on the offer when I get the delayed painted detail strips put on.

Recent Topics