Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Side Case Question  (Read 580 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Side Case Question
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
I have matching GIVI side cases and top box on my V1, and they also match the bike.  (See pics below.)  This weekend while riding I was hit by a pickup truck.  I'm okay, but the bike isn't.  Starting the insurance process now.

I'm wondering what is done these days regarding saddlebags.  I see lots of adventure bikes sporting aluminum cases.  I can replace my side cases with what I have, or change them (if the mounting brackets match).

Thank you.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline Komboloi

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
Re: Side Case Question
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »
Paul, it's a matter of personal preference of course, but I think those black Givi bags look pretty sweet on your bike.  Trying to picture aluminum boxes, I don't see the improvement.  If you are planning on offroading (and your tires suggest it hasn't been a priority yet), I can see the aluminum cases.  Otherwise...  nah.  There is a pretension factor if your bike is obviously not set up for off-road.  If you do get aluminum cases, I suggest black ones for your bike, not silver.

My bias is that I have factory cases on both of my bikes (including the V1K), so take that FWIW.
1995 BMW K75
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2018 SYM Fiddle III 200i

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 06:31:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Komboloi [+]
Paul, it's a matter of personal preference of course, but I think those black Givi bags look pretty sweet on your bike.  Trying to picture aluminum boxes, I don't see the improvement.  If you are planning on offroading (and your tires suggest it hasn't been a priority yet), I can see the aluminum cases.  Otherwise...  nah.  There is a pretension factor if your bike is obviously not set up for off-road.  If you do get aluminum cases, I suggest black ones for your bike, not silver.

My bias is that I have factory cases on both of my bikes (including the V1K), so take that FWIW.
Thanks Komboloi.  I'm thinking exactly what you're saying.  I like the side cases I have.  And I do practically no off-road.  Gravel side roads is the closest I get to off roading.

But, since the side cases will be replaced, just testing the waters to see what's out there.

Appreciate your input.  Thanks!
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
For me it's a no brainer.... stick with the Black cases they suit your bike  :169:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000
  • City / Town: mansfield
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 07:14:34 PM »
the givi boxes you have use a different mounting bracket to the aluminium boxes you are considering,didnt know if you knew

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 07:19:42 PM »
FWIW, in my very humble opinion, the Series 1 Versys cases look MUCH better than the Series 2 cases.

I would stick with what you have if it was my bike.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Online dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 08:43:18 PM »
The ones you have/had look good.

The metal ones look daft when used on road even attached to aggressive advs. Many damage relatively easy too. Stickers may adhere better.

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by powerfulpete [+]
the givi boxes you have use a different mounting bracket to the aluminium boxes you are considering,didnt know if you knew
I was wondering about that.  Thanks!
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by CuddyBuddy [+]
I have matching GIVI side cases and top box on my V1, and they also match the bike.  (See pics below.)  This weekend while riding I was hit by a pickup truck.  I'm okay, but the bike isn't.  Starting the insurance process now.

I'm wondering what is done these days regarding saddlebags.  I see lots of adventure bikes sporting aluminum cases.  I can replace my side cases with what I have, or change them (if the mounting brackets match).

Thank you.
Thanks everybody.  I'll stick with what I have.  Appreciate your comments and suggestions.
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: bike less
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:46:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by dizzy [+]
The ones you have/had look good.

The metal ones look daft when used on road even attached to aggressive advs. Many damage relatively easy too. Stickers may adhere better.

I have givi dolomiti aluminium panniers not metal though so there definitely not daft

Recent Topics