Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin 346  (Read 620 times)

Online dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
Garmin 346
« on: October 05, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
Hummed and aahed whether or not to.

As the new bike came with a mount decided to treat myself, for Chrimbo, to a Garmin 346 which Sportbikeshop are selling at £240  against 299 most elsewhere.

It recommends adding an 8GB SD card to overcome any problems loading updates. Happened to have an old one I put in and then it took around 2hrs to load "updates". When you are buying something for £300ish why do they skimp on £2.00 of memory  :023:Why do they take 2 hours to update, seems like a total data download??

I have mounted lots of Garmins to date and the mount that holds them have always always been vertically aligned, gripping the narrow width. That goes for the 345 too. So I mounted this mount the same. It was only later that I noticed the 346 mount needs to be horizontal grrr. My fault I know for reading the destructions but aaagh!

All that said it is nice and slim and has a clean design. At least with the mount horizontal it is hidden from view on the longest axis. It does update on wifi without needing to attach to a pc, includes routes too.

Offline Andy B

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Tattenhall
Re: Garmin 346
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
Did exactly the same, took three attempts to update when I first took it out off the box, kept crashing. Didnít like the mount that came on the headstock so brought the genuine Kawasaki one that fits in the screen mounts, much better now itís in line of sight & adjustable as well.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
I can't comment on your device mount, but I would say that Garmin does/can seem to take ages to download updates, my 590 LM typically takes over an hour to update  :169:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I can't comment on your device mount, but I would say that Garmin does/can seem to take ages to download updates, my 590 LM typically takes over an hour to update  :169:   
Tyke

The best / quickest way to update your device with "Garmin Express", is to download and install the map update to the computer only option, and you can leave this to download the ~3Gb map update for Europe, over night

Then when off line, use the "MapInstall" option is to update the map areas you only currently need on your GPS.  :002:
Your GP will then run / startup quicker as well.  :028:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:54:48 AM by TowerMan »
                  Details HERE  :123A:
And the on the V650 forum - www.versys.co.uk

Offline Ali-bear

• Versys Member
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »
Having the memory card is useful when sharing routes.

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »
Dizzy, if it's any consolation, my TomTom Rider sat nav is no different. It takes forever and a day to update the software if you haven't done it in a while...................Grrrrr :125:

Recent Topics

waggish