Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenance  (Read 907 times)

Offline CuddyBuddy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Brighton
Chain Maintenance
« on: October 23, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Been riding for many years, but it's been a long time since I had a chain.  Can I ask you guys your recommendations for chain lubing and chain cleaning?  So far I've been cleaning and lubing about every 1,000 kms (620 miles).  I picked 1,000 kms 'cause it's easy to remember.

Do you clean and lube every time you do chain maintenance?  Do you use a grunge brush when cleaning?  Anything else you'd suggest?

Thanks!
Paul
2012 Versys 1000
2004 Gold Wing 1800

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Chain Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
Every 1000 miles or so I clean my chain using a chain brush with paraffin as a cleanser, I also clean around the rear sprocket at the same time. I haven't cleaned the front sprocket area since owning this bike .... I have now covered over 5000 miles so the front sprocket is due to be cleaned, it's not difficult as I have done it before on my Mk1 Versys 1000........... Weljo has posted a good tutorial for this procedure which is invaluable

I use Wurth non fling chain lubricant from and aerosol and it works very well

I also keep an eye on the chain alignment and tension....  I check the alignment with a Proficat laser measuring guide... others are available
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline uralrob

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2008 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »

I lube every 600 - 800 km and am very lax about cleaning. A few spins through a WD40 soaked rag every once in a while or after a very wet ride is about all mine get.

Rob.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »
I clean and lube about every 500 miles...WD 40 as a cleaner and whatever chain lube is on sale when I buy it.... Ive used just about all of them :001:

lately Ive been using 75/90 gear oil...its a bit messier than actual chain lube but stays on better in the rain.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Its a Scottoiler for me, I know some don't/can't get on with them but they work really well IMHO and are far easier to live with than lubing every few hundred miles. Other oilers are available  :002:
Also do a chain clean with paraffin once or twice a year.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »
600 miles for me. Pull the chain through a T shirt soaked in mineral spirits til it's clean, another pull through some dry T shirt, clean the rear sprocket, Silkolene Pro Chain sprayed and rubbed in with a nitrile gloved hand, a ride to throw off what's going to throw off, then clean up the spatter with the same mineral spirits T shirt.

Everybody does it differently, but I reckon the main thing is, don't let it rust and don't let it load up with black sticky grit.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
I lube my chain about every 500 miles. I clean the chain at about 3500 miles along with the front sprocket & cover.......https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,16555.0.html
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline USN420

• Versys Member
  • Bike: '15 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Southern Illinois
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:16:24 PM »
Every 400-500 miles I quickly spray lube the chain with either Dupont ChainSaver or Maxima Chain Wax.  (Takes about 3 minutes.)

Every 1,000 miles (As indicated by the bike's "Trip B" odometer.) I clean the chain with a Grunge Brush & kerosene spray bottle, then use a kerosene soaked rag to fully clean the chain and rear sprocket, finally using a clean dry rag to fully wipe the chain before reapplying lube & wax.  At this interval, I also measure chain slack and adjust as necessary. (Takes me about 20-45 minutes depending on if chain needs adjustment or not.) 

Every 2,000 miles I remove the front sprocket cover and clean both the cover and the front sprocket.  (Takes about 30 minutes.) 

Truthfully, this may be a bit of overkill.  The Versys is the first chain driven motorcycle I've owned since my late teens and I'm a senior middle-aged guy these days.  I'm thinking about stretching the cleaning intervals a bit as I don't ride in the rain or in dusty environments.
No...  User name is not a reference to weed!  USN420 = US Navy 4 20-years

2015 Versys 1000 LT (Black):  Givi D4113ST Windshield - Corbin Seat - Kaoko Throttle Lock - Grip Puppies - SW-Motech Kickstand Foot 

2007 Honda Sabre 1100

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
Let's face it: half of this is good disciplined maintenance, and the other half is, we just like to hang out in the garage and futz with the bikes.  :039: :008:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Komboloi

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »
I don't have a fixed schedule.  More like when I feel like it, haven't done it in a while, chain starts "singing".

I lay down some puppy pads and spray the crap out of it with WD-40 while spinning the wheel.  I mean I really soak it.  Overkill.  I let it drip its grimy mess all over the puppy pads and walk away.  I come back after a while.  If it's stopped dripping, I wipe the excess off the chain with disposable shop rags, old t-shirt, old pair of shorts, whatever is handy and disposable.  Then I walk away again to let it dry.  Spray on some lube (currently Dupont ChainSaver) and that's it.  Oh, and I wipe off the rear sprocket before lubing the chain.  I don't get too particular about that.  It's mostly clean after the WD-40 soaking and just needs to be wiped off.

My theory in really soaking the chain in WD-40 whilst spinning the rear wheel is that the front sprocket is getting cleaned that way too.  Sometimes I use kerosene with a stiff brush before using WD-40 if I really want to go at it.  Why both?  Because I have a container of kerosene in my garage, and what else am I going to use it for now that we have electricity in my city?

These sealed modern O-ring chains don't really require much for longevity.  It's more the sprockets I worry about.
 The exterior of the chain needs to be free of rust, and gunk is an abrasive on the sprockets, so cleaning is good.  And a clean well-lubed chain makes me happy, so there's that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:55:17 PM by Komboloi »
1995 BMW K75
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2018 SYM Fiddle III 200i

Recent Topics

waggish