Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain Maintenance  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: Chain Maintenance
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
Hundreds of forum members have sacrificed themselves on the rhetorical battlefield over whether WD40 penetrates the O-rings and leaches the internal lube or not, and whether kerosene or mineral spirits isn't the better cleaner. The latter two are definitely cheaper, and they make a rag soaked in them do a great job wicking up the grit and sludge and holding it in the rag. But it's not a matter I am going to hold any extreme opinion on.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Let's face it: half of this is good disciplined maintenance, and the other half is, we just like to hang out in the garage and futz with the bikes.  :039: :008:

Ssshhhhh, don't give the game away Sonny    :008:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
First chain in a long time.

Have been using the Wurth dry lube as suggested by a few on other chain posts. Seems to do it's job and doesn't appear to pick up much grunge.

Lube around 500 miles. Also wipe off rear sprocket beforehand.

Chain, rear sprocket still pretty clean at 2K. Has been ridden in some grim weather and small country lanes. Not ridden to extreme and roll on/off throttle mainly.

Think I may get an experienced hand to double check when I think it is adjustment time.

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 09:16:31 PM »
Why is it we can't get the dupont/teflon motorbike chain lubes in UK?  Seem to be several pedal cycle derivatives.

Do they run under different brand names?

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by dizzy [+]
Why is it we can't get the dupont/teflon motorbike chain lubes in UK?  Seem to be several pedal cycle derivatives.

Do they run under different brand names?

They changed the formula of the Dupont Blue Can Chain Lube and you now have the Yellow Cans which are good but not as good as the Blue....I used my last can of the blue stuff and found this. From what I've read its seems to be the old formula Dupont Blue....https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tirox-synthetic-chain-wax

Review....https://www.webbikeworld.com/tirox-chain-wax-review/

:biker1: :biker1: :biker1:
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Komboloi

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 10:33:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by weljo2001 [+]
They changed the formula of the Dupont Blue Can Chain Lube and you now have the Yellow Cans which are good but not as good as the Blue....I used my last can of the blue stuff and found this. From what I've read its seems to be the old formula Dupont Blue....https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tirox-synthetic-chain-wax

Do you have shake the Tirox as much before applying as you do the Dupont Yellow Can stuff?  In my ongoing quest for the perfect chain lube, the Dupont stuff is the best I've tried yet.  But it sure does love to solidify in the bottom of the can between uses.  That reminds me:  I'll need to lube my chain in the spring.  I should probably start shaking the can of Dupont ChainSaver tomorrow.
1995 BMW K75
2015 Versys 1000 LT
2018 SYM Fiddle III 200i

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Komboloi [+]
Do you have shake the Tirox as much before applying as you do the Dupont Yellow Can stuff?  In my ongoing quest for the perfect chain lube, the Dupont stuff is the best I've tried yet.  But it sure does love to solidify in the bottom of the can between uses.  That reminds me:  I'll need to lube my chain in the spring.  I should probably start shaking the can of Dupont ChainSaver tomorrow.

Don't have to shake it much. The oldest boy was buying all types of chain lube for his GSXR-750. I let him use my Tirox and now thats all he uses. Had to buy a few more cans because he seems to think you have to bathe the chain in the stuff... :138: :138: :138:
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Recent Topics

waggish