Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Versys 1000 v Vstrom 1000  (Read 2995 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Versys 1000 v Vstrom 1000
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
Ooooops  no offence meant   :138: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline doebag

• Versys Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Did anyone own a KLV1000, Kawasaki's repackaging of the big Vstrom? I can't figure out how the licensing worked on that deal, or where the tooling for Kawasaki to make the bike came from. Maybe Suzuki made the underlying bike and Kaw then added its small set of features...?

I had a first year [2002] Vstrom 1000 from new. I looked at the KLV a couple of years later as I liked the colour and it had the later adjustable screen. Suzuki made the KLV, the only differences were the unique  body colour not available on the Vstrom, and the stick on fairing badges and screen badge were changed to Kawasaki and not Suzuki. It was otherwise an identical bike. The model I saw at the NEC had a Suzuki build plate disguised by heavy application of black marker pen.
The return part of the deal was that Suzuki sold a Kawasaki cruiser [VN800/900 possibly] with Suzuki badges on.

Offline doebag

• Versys Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
YES, I  did Sonny back in 2006, the bike was Orange and a couple of years old, and bloody aweful, I swapped it for a new 2007, Triumph Tiger 1050 which was painted Burnt Orange and was very nice but had a crap gearbox....I must have been going through an Orange phase... :008:
'Orses for courses Rog. I loved my Vstrom, did over 90,000 miles on it, commuted,toured etc.
The finish was  bit suspect, but I rode all year round, and a hosing off was about as much cleaning as I would do. However apart from the odd wheel bearing and suspension link bearing, it never really let me down.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by doebag [+]
'Orses for courses Rog. I loved my Vstrom, did over 90,000 miles on it, commuted,toured etc.
The finish was  bit suspect, but I rode all year round, and a hosing off was about as much cleaning as I would do. However apart from the odd wheel bearing and suspension link bearing, it never really let me down.

I should qualify my comments by saying that I'm not really a fan of twins, although I have owned a few  :028: 

Roger (Rog)

Offline Woodro

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 17VersysLT1000
  • City / Town: St. Johnís
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
I traded my 2015 DL1000 V Strom for a 2017 Versys 1000 LT. As much as I loved the V Strom, I prefer the Versys. I do mostly touring, and both bikes are very comfortable for long hours in the saddle. I am 6'1" and 210 lbs, and both bikes fit me well and I don't feel cramped. I prefer the smooth power delivery of Kawasaki's inline 4 and the road handling is superior with the smaller 17" front wheel. I put 42,000 kms on the V-Strom and didn't get off the pavement very often, so the off-road advantages were lost on my riding experience. I bought the Kawasaki in September 2018, and didn't add many kms to the clock before it got too cold (about 3500 kms). I had no issues with the V Strom and it ran like a clock. I expect that both bikes will go the distance and deliver long term reliability with routine maintenance.

Offline Tank

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: West Mecca, OH
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »
I have owned two Vstroms.  Put 85,000 miles on one and 120,000 miles on the second one.

It is not really fair to compare the Vstrom to the Versys because it is a apples to oranges comparison.  The Vstrom is a adventure touring bike and the Kawasaki is a sport touring bike.  The only thing they really have in common is they are both well suited to tall riders.

I can't speak for the current version of the Vstrom, but the ones I owned were vastly superior to my Versys on gravel roads.  The Kawasaki is vastly superior to the Suzuki on paved roads.

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tank [+]
I have owned two Vstroms.  Put 85,000 miles on one and 120,000 miles on the second one.

It is not really fair to compare the Vstrom to the Versys because it is a apples to oranges comparison.  The Vstrom is a adventure touring bike and the Kawasaki is a sport touring bike.  The only thing they really have in common is they are both well suited to tall riders.

I can't speak for the current version of the Vstrom, but the ones I owned were vastly superior to my Versys on gravel roads.  The Kawasaki is vastly superior to the Suzuki on paved roads.

Makes perfect sense to me Ö  the Vstrom 1000 has been a great bike  for a friend of mind 90,000km and counting (no issues )

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Did anyone own a KLV1000, Kawasaki's repackaging of the big Vstrom? I can't figure out how the licensing worked on that deal, or where the tooling for Kawasaki to make the bike came from. Maybe Suzuki made the underlying bike and Kaw then added its small set of features...?

I still own a KLV1000, itís been a great bike. I bought it in 2007 and iíve done 65000 miles on it, much of which touring two up around Europe. Other than a dealer checking the shims Iíve done all the servicing and itís simple to work on. Itís never let me down apart from a puncture at the top of the Alps, which I plugged at the roadside, a flat battery in Pisa and a throttle body that popped out when I hit a speed bump in Malaga and just pushed back in.
This is the story of the KLV...
Itís actually a K5 V Strom. It says Suzuki Motor Co on the VIN plate. Back in 2004 and 2005 as a development cost cutting exercise Kawasaki and Suzuki sold each otherís bikes, just re-badged. Most of the models involved were dirt bikes or ATVs but on the road Kawasaki sold the big V Strom as the KLV and Suzuki sold the Kawasaki 1600 Meanstreak cruiser as the Suzuki Boulevard. The agreement ended after 2005.
The good thing is I can buy Suzuki or Kawasaki parts for the KLV, whichever is cheapest. Now I have the Versys the KLV can go into retirement for shorter uk trips. The sharing of development ideas seemed to work as I feel the seat and riding position on the Versys show a stong V Strom influence.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
 :762:  and nice MV  :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
It is a fascinating story, still full of questions to me, as far as what was gained by two rival companies doing this, how did the economics work as far as bookkeeping for the manufacturing cost, and so forth.

I assume they didn't duplicate assembly lines; Suzuki must have built the V twin and put on the Kaw body work, and vice versa with the 1600 Boulevard.

When Boeing bought McDonald Douglas, they continued to build the MD80 airliner, but that was a case of one company gobbling the other up. The Kaw / Suz arrangement was nothing like that.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics