Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: V Stream Tall Touring Windscreen impressions  (Read 2098 times)

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
V Stream Tall Touring Windscreen impressions
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:11:59 PM »
Yes....another one.

So I recently installed this windscreen looking for a bit more protection than the sport touring version of the Vstream that I have been using for the last year or so. Basically what I was looking for was more wind protection, less noise, less buffeting, etc; something more suitable for the colder months.

I've only done about 200 miles or so with this on and am still playing around with it but overall, its improved, but still not quite what I was hoping for. I am 5'9" 30" inseam

Pros:
-I can definitely feel the force of the wind being blocked from the majority of my helmet on this one depending on the height.

-Turbulence is most definitely reduced (depending on height)

-blocks a lot more bugs....more than I would have expected given the size difference

-Solid, doesnt flap around in the wind like some cheaper screens even at speeds of 80mph+

Cons:
-still fairly noisy at speed (at this point I think this is more of a helmet issue)

-Not optically correct by any stretch of the imagination. The best position Ive found for me is right at the mid point of adjustment, I look maybe two inches or so over the screen. The edges of the screen and the contour changes are disorienting though. At speed, its not much of a problem, but around town or filtering through traffic, it becomes a big issue.

-My fuel mileage seems to have suffered. This requires further investigation but my fuel gauge seems to have dropped much faster during my 100+ mile ride this last weekend than it had with the previous screen on it. I didnt do any calculations though so this could just be perception.

-raising it up to the highest position seems to get closest to the desired effect I am looking for but then I am looking directly through the screen.

So theres my impressions. I think I will eventually sell this screen as I am looking for something to block more of the elements and reduce the noise (again, this may not be the fault of the screen) but overall its definitely an improvement over the sport touring version.  Have any of you had success adding washers or spacers to the top bolts of the mounting bracket to kick the top of the screen forward? I was thinking about going this route next.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:13:57 PM by DrGonzo615 »

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: V Stream Tall Touring Windscreen impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:27 PM »
I'm sorry it doesn't tick all the boxes (I sold Gonzo this screen.)

Mostly with screens I stop at "good enough", because it's so different for everyone. At 6'3" I set that Vstream to see about 2 in. over the top myself. I never like looking through the distortion of a windscreen... even when it is not raining. When it is raining I can't see s**t.

With any screen you learn to ignore the optical distortions once you are used to them.

I thought the wind protection on the Vstream was good. The objection I had was that it was a little narrow for me. In strong crosswinds (common around here), I would get some turbulence from the upwind side. Other Vstream users don't have that issue... I am big and tall.

Well ride it for a while, maybe you will come to terms with it. Best of luck.

My next try was a Givi Airflow. It isn't perfect either but it's proven to be good enough. It wasn't a dramatic improvement over the Vstream. :7:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

Mostly with screens I stop at "good enough", because it's so different for everyone. At 6'3" I set that Vstream to see about 2 in. over the top myself. I never like looking through the distortion of a windscreen... even when it is not raining. When it is raining I can't see s**t.

With any screen you learn to ignore the optical distortions once you are used to them.

I thought the wind protection on the Vstream was good. The objection I had was that it was a little narrow for me. In strong crosswinds (common around here), I would get some turbulence from the upwind side. Other Vstream users don't have that issue... I am big and tall.

Well ride it for a while, maybe you will come to terms with it. Best of luck.

My next try was a Givi Airflow. It isn't perfect either but it's proven to be good enough. It wasn't a dramatic improvement over the Vstream. :7:

I believe his main problem is his choice of helmets. I'm 6'2" with 32-33 inseam and for me in the city the tall screen on the lowest setting works best so you don't get the optical distortion while lane splitting. Lots of freeway and all the way up works best. But i just found myself leaving it in the lowest setting are just above that....
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 08:33:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

Sonny, you have nothing to be sorry for. Its just the way of things with these windscreens and I appreciate the super fast shipping! :152:

Like I said, I do like it but I cant help but think or hope that there is something else out there that ticks all the boxes. Also, like weljo said, it could very well be my uber track oriented bucket causing some of the problems. My dad has an RF1200 that I might borrow from him just for comparisons sake. If it makes a huge difference I will update the OP.

Offline DeuceBG

• Versys Pro
  • You don't need Eyes to see, you need Vision...
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 05:09:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
Sonny, you have nothing to be sorry for. Its just the way of things with these windscreens and I appreciate the super fast shipping! :152:

Like I said, I do like it but I cant help but think or hope that there is something else out there that ticks all the boxes. Also, like weljo said, it could very well be my uber track oriented bucket causing some of the problems. My dad has an RF1200 that I might borrow from him just for comparisons sake. If it makes a huge difference I will update the OP.
If you have a Race Style Helmet with the "Duck Bill" Spoiler Design at the rear then that is likely the cause of your Buffeting Issues.
I had exactly the same problem when I tried that style of Helmet.
I tried it with the OEM Screen, the Givi Airflow and the MRA Vario and the problem would not go away until I went back to my HJC IS-17.

Offline Justa_Poser

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Missouri, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
Did I miss it?

They have the sport screen and the touring screen and then they have the tall touring screen.
Is this the tall touring screen ?

I know the title says tall, but I just gotta ask. ..... I have the touring screen and thinking about buying the tall touring screen.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Justa_Poser [+]
Did I miss it?

They have the sport screen and the touring screen and then they have the tall touring screen.
Is this the tall touring screen ?

I know the title says tall, but I just gotta ask. ..... I have the touring screen and thinking about buying the tall touring screen.

Sorry, it seems a bit misleading. As far as I know, there are 3 V Stream sizes: Sport, Sport Touring, and Touring. There is no touring-tall, just the touring.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 07:22:08 PM »
It is the 17 inch Vstream.

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline rudderpedals

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Liberty, MO
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 04:27:59 PM »
I keep mine in the middle.  I'm 6'2 as well with a 32-34 inseam.  No complaints. :2:

Recent Topics