Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: A time for reflection  (Read 243 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
A time for reflection
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
This years Armistice day will mark 100 years since the end of the Great War

We should all remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice

'Lest we forget'   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
Re: A time for reflection
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
This years Armistice day will mark 100 years since the end of the Great War

We should all remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice

'Lest we forget'

+1   

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bart [+]
+1

PLUS 2
and for all of the wars fought and the extreme sacrifices made for our freedom  ……….here in Canada it is

November the 11th ...the 11th hour the 11th day and the 11th month ..

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
May all the war dead rest in peace, and may the 21st Century not be the river of blood the 20th was.  :019:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »
This year, our President changes some rules about 11th Nov celebration. He has now many people against him. He doesn't want to give too much importance to the presence of the regular Army in the different parades because "the soldiers were only civilians that were dressed with uniforms"!!!

Many celebration are canceled in order to not displease to the German chancelor.

But I will be in front of the village monument on Sunday. Every village in France has his or more as you can see here. http://www.transenprovence.info/archives/2014/03/04/29354491.html#comments

One in the main street, one in the cemetary and one in the church with the battle's name.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 05:31:56 PM by francis83 »
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by francis83 [+]
This year, our President changes some rules about 11th Nov celebration. He has now many people against him. He doesn't want to give too much importance to the presence of the regular Army in the different parades because "the soldiers were only civilians that were dressed with uniforms"!!!

Many celebration are canceled in order to not displease to the German chancelor.

But I will be in front of the village monument on Sunday. Every village in France has his or more as you can see here. http://www.transenprovence.info/archives/2014/03/04/29354491.html#comments

One in the main street, one in the cemetary and one in the church with the battle's name.

The behaviour of some of todays politicians is beyond belief...... maybe they should study history and then visit some of the battle sites of the Somme and if that doesn't soften their attitude then they are surely made from stone  :exclamation: 

Anyway the German chancellor Angela Merkel has announced her imminent retirement so I wouldn't be too worried about upsetting her.
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline PhilDHY

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2013
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 07:55:37 PM »
Near me there is a memorial to the men and aircraft that left the airfield (Clifton) Lysander and Mustang were the aircraft. At 6am on the 11th, a lone piper will play Battles O'we, a 2 minute lament. Later that day there is a procession to a beacon where a bugler will play the last post, and the beacon will be lit.
I'm very glad we honour and remember past and present, long may it continue.

Online Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »
President Macron’s actions alook even stranger to me since I saw a very strong French presence at various WW1 commemorations in Greek Macedonia in September this year, when I was over there with the Salonika Campaign Society for a battlefield-walking holiday over the border in FYROM. The head of the delegation was a junior minister, putting the British presence deeply in the shade, but one cynic reckoned it was a French attempt to sweeten the Greeks.

In case anyone is wondering, the Bulgarian surrender took place at the end of September 1918, which brought fighting to an end on that front, so they commemorate earlier than we do in Western Europe.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Recent Topics

waggish