Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: some help please  (Read 791 times)

Offline beertown

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Milwaukee
some help please
« on: November 12, 2018, 03:23:09 PM »
Took the bike in for service (7000 miles) first time the dealer has touched it. I currently have 8634 miles and picked the bike up at night it was about 37 degrees so I did not hang around the dealer, had 15 mile ride to put the bike away. When I got to the garage and put the bike on the side stand and came back to it after opening the door I find a puddle of oil under the bike about 7" wide near the oil drain plug.  :125: I checked the drain plug it was clean and moved the bike place it on center stand to check for oil. Oil was to the high level in site glass and now a another puddle formed about 3" wide in same area. Did the dealer miss some thing? Bike did sound noise after I pulled ear plugs. Dealer is coming to pick bike up this Saturday but I am concerned about engine damage / wear. Thanks for any help you give.

Online stuf

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Re: some help please
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
Hi,
Just a thought run your finger under the oil filter see if its not quite nipped up.
Stu

Offline beertown

• Versys Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 03:38:11 PM »
Will try that see if this is the problem. At 9 PM and 14 hours of work not always thinking clearly to look at the simple things. :763:

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
Your dealer should have changed your engine oil and checked and/or replaced the Engine oil filter at this mileage, so it seems that something has not been replaced correctly

As stuf suggests run your finger around the oil filter to see if there is any sign of a leak, do the same for the engine drain plug

It may be that your dealer has over filled the engine oil, as you say the oil level in the sight glass is still showing high .... I am presuming you have checked the oil level whilst the bike is upright and the engine has been run, left for 10 minutes to cool and for the oil to settle  :question:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline beertown

• Versys Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 04:14:27 PM »
15 mile run and maybe 3-5 minutes before checking oil level in site glass. I did run my finger on drain plug and came up clean all while on the center stand.  Bike was loud (knocking noise that my wife first noticed) and this was the first thing when the oil was spotted. Is there a oil pressure or overflow hose in this area?

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys Master
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
if the oil is at the high level, there should not be a problem from low oil pressure....just find the leak and fix it....its possible they spilled oil in the plastics and its just  running out ..but its more likely the filter is leaking from either a double gasket ,  not being tight enough or from being over tightened

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
if the oil is at the high level, there should not be a problem from low oil pressure....just find the leak and fix it....its possible they spilled oil in the plastics and its just  running out ..but its more likely the filter is leaking from either a double gasket ,  not being tight enough or from being over tightened

what crosshairs said    :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline stlee29

• Versys Master
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 01:27:55 AM »
Would be better the dealer to see the problem.

Normally see the oil mark on the center stand between the top and bottom line at the sight glass. Over excess oil would go to the airbox which does have an overfill drain pipe which is beside the petrol overfill pipe near the side stand.

If I could, would:
1. Put the bike on the center stand
2. remove the belly pan
3. give it a good bottom wash and dry
4. Keep a fan running at the front to prevent engine overheating
5. Check the oil level b4 start
6. Start bike up and run for 10 minutes
7. Stop engine, cool down and check for any apparent wet leaks
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 ninja 1000
  • City / Town: slc, ut
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
If your centerstand is anything like the one on my concours 14..and what a dumb thing to say....Its a centerstand.  How else could it work?

Anyway, with that being said.  Im guessing the front tire is on the ground, and the rear tire is not.  Its probably a few inches off the ground. This means the bike is really sitting at an angle. This makes the oil level appear higher than it really is.  When I do an oil change, I fill the oil level right to the minimum mark. When I roll the bike off the stand, the level ends up right in the middle.

I had one big oil leak. It was right after I did my first oil change.  My factory filter was so tight I thought about going to a diesel truck shop and using their air gun to loosen it. It was THAT tight.  Anyway, during all the fun, I missed seeing the stock o ring, from the filter, had stuck on my bike.  I ended up with two rings as the new filter had one built in. Go figure, but it stopped leaking when I removed the stuck o ring.

Offline beertown

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2018, 06:01:48 PM »
Well finished the 13  hour days and they came to pick up the bike. The guy picking it up saw oil on the paper towel my wife placed under it and a oil filter leak :lostit:. I showed the spot were the bike first sat and he said "that is more than a drip maybe defective gasket or material left behind" :11:. They plan on checking the noise and will let me know if they find anything. Said there would not have been a problem to the motor. :763: :763: for everyone's help new bike that I want to keep going for a long time.

Recent Topics