Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trailer Finished  (Read 2748 times)

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
Re: Trailer Finished
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 02:04:11 PM »
Does not look safe. Why were so many parts used to make "hitch"? It looks like it's no less than twelve parts. Also needed vertical support.
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline justjeff

• Versys Newbie
  • the older i get the faster i was
  • Bike: 2017 versys 1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
hi all!  probably another unneeded opinion but what the heck. i somewhat agree with tngw's thought about the coupler. i think the pin coming out of the trailer tongue should be eliminated simply because it is unnecessary. welding the horizontal pivot bracket onto the tongue would be a cleaner, stronger installation. the pin is probably strong enough, it just does not need to be there. second, weld the bracket to the yoke instead of using bolts, again no reason other than a cleaner install. that being said, i'm sure the owner has his reasons for it his way. one thing i think is going to be a problem is the size of the box. it just seems way bigger than it needs to be. there is always the thought process of " there's plenty of room,just toss it in there" & soon you have 150 lbs of stuff in there. that & that box is a barn door aerodynamically. there is also a lot of rolling resistance from some pretty big tires. i would like to here how it tows though.  we tow a gen 2 moto-mule because we do a long camping trip every fall. we used to strap bags on top of the boxes, had stuff strapped everywhere. looked like the beverly hillbillies. the bike [08 wee] was just a pain being so top heavy & it was very difficult to get on & off the bike. with the moto-mule & a 160 liter bag, the only thing we put on the bike is our clothes & rain gear. luxuries like camp chairs & fly fishing gear go in the trailer. made new brackets for the versys & it's good to go. we now have about 20,000 miles on the trailer, never going back. yes. it's a long un needed ramble,but it probably won't be the last time!
justjeff

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 03:47:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by dancingweasel [+]
What about the downward force on the tow bar caused by the nose weight of the trailer? Are you just relying on the friction of the wheel spindle or is there a support bar up to the bike's frame that's not shown?

That was my only concern with the design: attached to the rear axle, the tongue load is all unsprung weight. This may affect handling and ride, though I can see the difficulty of finding a place to attach the hitch to the bike's frame.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by justjeff [+]
hi all!  probably another unneeded opinion but what the heck. i somewhat agree with tngw's thought about the coupler. i think the pin coming out of the trailer tongue should be eliminated simply because it is unnecessary. welding the horizontal pivot bracket onto the tongue would be a cleaner, stronger installation. the pin is probably strong enough, it just does not need to be there. second, weld the bracket to the yoke instead of using bolts, again no reason other than a cleaner install. that being said, i'm sure the owner has his reasons for it his way. one thing i think is going to be a problem is the size of the box. it just seems way bigger than it needs to be. there is always the thought process of " there's plenty of room,just toss it in there" & soon you have 150 lbs of stuff in there. that & that box is a barn door aerodynamically. there is also a lot of rolling resistance from some pretty big tires. i would like to here how it tows though.  we tow a gen 2 moto-mule because we do a long camping trip every fall. we used to strap bags on top of the boxes, had stuff strapped everywhere. looked like the beverly hillbillies. the bike [08 wee] was just a pain being so top heavy & it was very difficult to get on & off the bike. with the moto-mule & a 160 liter bag, the only thing we put on the bike is our clothes & rain gear. luxuries like camp chairs & fly fishing gear go in the trailer. made new brackets for the versys & it's good to go. we now have about 20,000 miles on the trailer, never going back. yes. it's a long un needed ramble,but it probably won't be the last time!

JustJeff

Yes it does need to be there, as when the bike leans into a corner, the two wheeled trailer needs to stay upright  :028:

If the trailer was a single / mono wheeled unit, then it would not be needed as the trailer would lean into a corner as well, as this setup from these people do - www.mono-trail.co.uk

Richard  :001:
Richard    :001:           

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
That was my only concern with the design: attached to the rear axle, the tongue load is all unsprung weight. This may affect handling and ride, though I can see the difficulty of finding a place to attach the hitch to the bike's frame.
Sonny

Have a look at this website mentioned above on the pros and cons of hooking up to the rear Hollow rear Spindle  :123A:

Offline dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
I wasn't actually thinking about the effect on handing - although there may be one. I was thinking of the downward force of the weight on the tow hitch rotating the axle mount and forcing it to the ground.  In the pic posted by TowerMan, you can see a support bar going up towards the rear light.

Offline justjeff

• Versys Newbie
  • the older i get the faster i was
  • Bike: 2017 versys 1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
sorry towerman, i missed that it's a pivot pin.  :11: with the yoke pivoting thru the axle there shouldn't be much stress on the pin, correct?  Jeff
justjeff

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 07:34:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by dancingweasel [+]
I wasn't actually thinking about the effect on handing - although there may be one. I was thinking of the downward force of the weight on the tow hitch rotating the axle mount and forcing it to the ground.  In the pic posted by TowerMan, you can see a support bar going up towards the rear light.
DW

That is the electrical hook-up connection for the rear trailer lights  :028:

Yes the un-sprung weight is more on the rear axial, but from an engineering point of view, that is better than having to jack the rear suspension up and increase the rear sub frame strength, to take the weight of the trailer as well as rider and passenger.

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 01:20:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by TowerMan [+]
DW

That is the electrical hook-up connection for the rear trailer lights  :028:

I'm guessing but does that hitch goes over a bolt that goes through the rear axle bolt?

I see it's slotted. How does that work? What keeps it attached?

Is there any bearings or bushings?
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
I know I am not the only one thinking this ...motorcycles shouldn't  pull trailers  :007: We should be able to pack any bike well enough for any purpose one or two up .
It is in my mind part and parcel of owning and riding a motorcycle .
Learning to pack a bike well eliminates the need for a trailer , and a trailer just adds to the extra crap/weight  that you bring ...but do not need .

Sorry but I had  to say this ...Flame away  :002:
Keener

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:46:36 PM by Keener »

Recent Topics