Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trailer Finished  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Trailer Finished
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 05:48:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
I know I am not the only one thinking this ...motorcycles shouldn't  pull trailers  :007: We should be able to pack any bike well enough for any purpose one or two up .
It is in my mind part and parcel of owning and riding a motorcycle .
Learning to pack a bike well eliminates the need for a trailer , and a trailer just adds to the extra crap/weight  that you bring ...but do not need .

Sorry but I had  to say this ...Flame away  :002:
Keener

I've done several 7 day trips with a top box and tail bag...I dont even need the panniers....but this is packing for one person..Im guessing 2 people would need the panniers....but a trailer?....I cant imagine me needing one, but we are all different....

this is me loaded for a 7 day trip...

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I've done several 7 day trips with a top box and tail bag...I dont even need the panniers....but this is packing for one person..Im guessing 2 people would need the panniers....but a trailer?....I cant imagine me needing one, but we are all different....

this is me loaded for a 7 day trip...

That is what my bike looks like when I take my V1000 away by myself for a few days. I'm not keen on panniers on the V.
However, I do go touring with the management in Europe on my Goldwing, and despite having big panniers and topbox, I still need a greedy rack and a bag on top of the topbox. Even then, we have parred the clothing etc down to the minimum for us and we don't carry camping gear, just minimal spares.
When we used to camp with the Goldwing, we did use a trailer and I found it far more convenient than trying to load it all on the bike. The trailer was not noticeable on the back and the bike scooted along 'quite nicely', with occasional reminders from the pillion that I had a trailer behind. The only time I carried that camping gear on the bike it was not very stable, and felt out of balance.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline justjeff

• Versys Newbie
  • the older i get the faster i was
  • Bike: 2017 versys 1000
  • City / Town: LITTLETON
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 02:33:27 AM »
old plodder, at the risk of derailing this thread it would be nice to know what you carry on your trips. are you camping or getting a room? do you sacrifice comfort? doesn't seem like you take much with you. we use the trailer because we camp for 2 plus weeks at a time & we like to be comfortable not minimalist & not having everything on the bike makes things really nice. the trailer tows so nicely it is absolutely a non issue.
justjeff

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
Nice work quality build ..... although I have never been a fan of a trailer for any motorcycle even Gold Wings ..I just don't understand the attraction or the need , but that is just me i would guess  :notsure:

I have one trailer and the main point is : all the weight on the trailer is not on the bike. So it's easier to ride.

To Dannyboy : mine is 55 lb and the french law says 176 lb max full weight. And I think it's enough to travel. I rode one time full weight but it's very difficult to balance the trailer. Because of my hitch assembled on the frame I have to take this factor into account at each time I load the trailer. The only critical situation is a sudden braking in descent curve. Otherwise it's a real "plus" for travelling.
I think your trailer chassis is maybe too strong and you can win some lbs!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 12:16:14 PM by francis83 »
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:43:17 PM by Keener »

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 03:10:24 PM »
There are no reports about trailer's bikes accident!!
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
I had an interesting conversation this past weekend  with some riders as to trailers , I should mention that one of them used a trailer for some time with his Gold Wing …
The interesting part of the conversation was the difference in what these motorcyclists perceived as to what motorcycling was all about , I and some others think that a bike packed properly  for a trip one or two up will guarantee all you need for the trip , it requires minimising every thing you bring and only bringing what you actually need , this requires at first some compromise and some sacrifice but done well it is totally acceptable .If done well you actually have room to spare and can keep the weight down to a minimum .
When camping it is more difficult but  the same can apply with the right gear and again compromise.
I should mention that this minimisation of packing is akin to an art form and some take great pride in this and do believe that it is part and parcel of owning a motorcycle and enjoy the freedom of clutter that comes with it.

On the other hand Jay the GoldWing rider of course had a different view point , he travels alone and two up , camps and uses hotels and brings everything he needs and more especially when his wife is along , he never has need of compromise or sacrifice and is in total comfort as he sees fit ..
He did admit that performance suffers and his bike was akin to a Honda Civic when on the road but he accepts that as part of his luxury. :002:

So we have two different view points on touring both work well enough for those involved each to their own eh .

I myself have decided along with my passenger that the minimalist way is preferred and the pride we take in doing so makes motorcycling safer , free from clutter , and simple and that is one of the reasons why I love motorcycles in the first place .

Keener     

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2018, 04:04:25 PM »
I don't want to be closed minded about it. But we all place so much emphasis and effort on safety -- with wearing safety gear, condition of bike, all the roadcraft intended to insure us against getting caught out and getting banged up. Me, I don't want to be in that one-in-a-million bad moment, and getting hard on the brakes, and feeling a trailer start coming around on me. Just my take. I realize that pulling a trailer one has to stay even closer to the safe inside of the bike's performance envelope. But you can do that for years and then suddenly something unexpected happens and all that safety margin is gone. In that moment I do not want to deal with the strange physics of pulling the weight of a trailer.

I don't want it when pulling with a car or truck either, but the MC consequences are more severe than that.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
Is is true that pulling a trailer in Britain is illegal  :187:

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2018, 06:18:41 PM »

Is is true that pulling a trailer in Britain is illegal  :187:

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-motorcycle   

When touring on my bike I travel light, I choose lightweight self wicking clothing which I can was and quickly dry with Travel wash
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:20:46 PM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Recent Topics

waggish