Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trailer Finished  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Re: Trailer Finished
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by dancingweasel [+]
What about the downward force on the tow bar caused by the nose weight of the trailer? Are you just relying on the friction of the wheel spindle or is there a support bar up to the bike's frame that's not shown?

The tongue weight is negligible and would never be a problem, or wear point of concern. Unsure if I mentioned it before, but there is a shaft that fits inside the hollow bike axle with just a few thousand's clearance and that's what the hitch is captured by.. No need to support the bike frame as there is no force transferred to the unsprung frame and that's the reason I designed the "hitch" that way. The bike's swing arm is bullet proof and designed for far more stress than will ever be asked of it. Lateral forces on the swing arm from the trailer are also virtually non existent.

Hopefully I understood your question and answered it fully.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by justjeff [+]
old plodder, at the risk of derailing this thread it would be nice to know what you carry on your trips. are you camping or getting a room? do you sacrifice comfort? doesn't seem like you take much with you. we use the trailer because we camp for 2 plus weeks at a time & we like to be comfortable not minimalist & not having everything on the bike makes things really nice. the trailer tows so nicely it is absolutely a non issue.

Wife and I would go off for 5-8 day trips with our camping gear and some comforts but not over the top.
It was not basic camping at all (- I'm not one to make my pants last 4 days), but we didn't quite take the kitchen sink. If we were hotelling it then the trailer was not used.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »
I knew this thread would wander off into the yays and nays of pulling a trailer...and I hesitated to share on the forum because of that.

IMHO, people can theorize about a subject all they want, but you can't argue with success. This particular trailer is designed to never break, never wear out, and haul all of the weight I felt my motorcycle can safely stop. People go much heavier with trailers, but normally only on 'Wings and Harleys weighing up towards a half ton. It's all about stopping. These bikes are not all that powerful, so performance is somewhat compromised, but the V1k has an abundance of power so performance is virtually unhindered.

Most of the folks on M/C forums who are so vehemently against pulling a trailer have never done so. This is the first one I've towed with any motorcycle and I'm surprised that the high speed cornering and other handling situations are not affected in a negative way. Handling remains extremely agile and sure-footed. Dry pavement stopping is excellent...(I would hesitate to tow in wet weather, but I'll test that later).

Those who can't imagine others needing a trailer lack imagination. People have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do and just because you or I can't get our minds around them does not diminish the validity of those reasons or the judgement of those who dare to do things a bit differently.

I may (or may not) actually use this trailer. I didn't need it. I just wanted to build it. I enjoy designing and building all kinds of things. Some projects turn out well, some don't. This one did. I hope it inspires other fellow riders to design and build accessories for their bikes as well, as I've been inspired by what has been created by countless DIY'ers before me.

Recommending towing a trailer with a M/C is something I'd never do.  It's not the smartest choice...much like choosing to ride a motorcycle at all. Towing one myself though would be a personal choice made with all considerations taken to heart and proper safety precautions observed.

During my lifetime the most common cause of friends and acquaintances meeting an early demise were their decisions to get on a motorcycle that day. None of them were towing trailers. Go Figure  :003:

I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 05:54:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
I knew this thread would wander off into the yays and nays of pulling a trailer...and I hesitated to share on the forum because of that.

IMHO, people can theorize about a subject all they want, but you can't argue with success. This particular trailer is designed to never break, never wear out, and haul all of the weight I felt my motorcycle can safely stop. People go much heavier with trailers, but normally only on 'Wings and Harleys weighing up towards a half ton. It's all about stopping. These bikes are not all that powerful, so performance is somewhat compromised, but the V1k has an abundance of power so performance is virtually unhindered.

Most of the folks on M/C forums who are so vehemently against pulling a trailer have never done so. This is the first one I've towed with any motorcycle and I'm surprised that the high speed cornering and other handling situations are not affected in a negative way. Handling remains extremely agile and sure-footed. Dry pavement stopping is excellent...(I would hesitate to tow in wet weather, but I'll test that later).

Those who can't imagine others needing a trailer lack imagination. People have all kinds of reasons for doing the things they do and just because you or I can't get our minds around them does not diminish the validity of those reasons or the judgement of those who dare to do things a bit differently.

I may (or may not) actually use this trailer. I didn't need it. I just wanted to build it. I enjoy designing and building all kinds of things. Some projects turn out well, some don't. This one did. I hope it inspires other fellow riders to design and build accessories for their bikes as well, as I've been inspired by what has been created by countless DIY'ers before me.

Recommending towing a trailer with a M/C is something I'd never do.  It's not the smartest choice...much like choosing to ride a motorcycle at all. Towing one myself though would be a personal choice made with all considerations taken to heart and proper safety precautions observed.

During my lifetime the most common cause of friends and acquaintances meeting an early demise were their decisions to get on a motorcycle that day. None of them were towing trailers. Go Figure  :003:
:762: Totally agree with you.

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »
Dannyboy1949...
If one wants to pull a trailer with any motorcycle that is of course totally up to them , I understand the advantages as to this as well as what I would consider the issues . For myself I have never pulled a trailer and quite frankly would not attempt it there is no interest to do so .
I do take some offense as be labelled as lacking imagination , it takes quite a bit of imagination to pack a bike well for a long trip especially two up and leaving  some room to boot.
You say yourself recommending such is something you would never do " its not the smartest choice " well then  :138:

There is another more important reason for me not to want a trailer for a motorcycle , it comes from within a desire that motorcycles should be just that.. two wheels , and that the machine is designed as such mechanically and emotionally and adding a trailer to one is in my mind is sacrilege , a cop out so to speak .. I have to be honest here  motorcycling to me is a passion ,maybe its because I am an old git but I think its part and parcel of travelling with a motorcycle  , on the road with the essentials and with that comes the freedom that motorcycling provides .
Am I a purist ,doubtful / maybe.. but I really think that leaving most of the groceries behind is the best idea. :016:
As for your trailer build  , as I said you did a great job well done.. and if you like to use one as others do then fine , its your stick but because I feel strongly about this as I am now sure you do as well .. we have a difference in opinion as to what motorcycling should be . 
So the best thing to do is to ride on .
Keener 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 04:03:37 PM by Keener »

Recent Topics