Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Trailer Finished  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Trailer Finished
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:20:44 AM »
I've never seen such a convoluted method of adding pics to a forum post.
Rant Over. :125:

Some time ago I said I wanted to build a mono-wheeled aluminum trailer to pull behind the V1k.
Finally got around to it and somehow it came out a two-wheeled trailer of steel construction! Not sure how that happened.

I projected a 250 lb gross weight. The trailer weighs 125 and that leaves 125 for cargo. When it comes to camping gear, etc. 125 lbs is adequate.
The bike handles the 250 lb load remarkably well with no negative handling effects. None. Even sudden stops (on dry pavement) are impressive.
The trailing swing arm / coil over shock suspension I designed  seems to be near perfect...hard to believe since I'm the builder!
I don't know If I'll actually ever use this trailer, but I've wanted to build one for several years, beginning back when I owned the Goldwing.
All lighting is LED.
The pic is of the trailer before it was finished, but looks much the same as now.
The axle mount receiver and swivel hitch I built work nicely together and all bolts, etc. are grade 8.

I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Le ptit Quebec

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Paris
Re: Trailer Finished
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:32:47 AM »
Impressive!

What will you stick on the side? Wells Fargo or Hummer  :007: I'm sure it's stong enough to do Baja 1000 :123A:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:54:43 AM »
Impressive work  :759:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
Nice work quality build ..... although I have never been a fan of a trailer for any motorcycle even Gold Wings ..I just don't understand the attraction or the need , but that is just me i would guess  :notsure:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 08:58:18 PM by Keener »

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
Nice work quality build ..... although I have never been a fan of a trailer for any motorcycle even Gold Wings ..I just don't understand the attraction or the need , but that is just me i would guess  :notsure:

I can't argue with you.

Not the BEST of ideas...but lots of folks do it. I do understand the need some may have like long x-country camping trips. Or long trips with the wife aboard. I know of one guy whose dad began manufacturing something several years ago and the son got on his mc with a trailer and toured the US talking to dealers and passing out pamphlets, which accounted largely for the company's robust success right out of the gate.

Not defending the perils of a bike/trailer combo...but I can see where it has its place. Oddly I am enjoying the initial novelty of people asking questions about the trailer at gas stations, etc.

And thanks all for the kind comments!
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 05:39:05 AM »
You could put a great lot of brewskis in there, making you the Most Important Bike in the Convoy.  :mfr_lol:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 ninja 1000
  • City / Town: slc, ut
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
It makes me angry, sometimes.  I live in a neighborhood and I suspect many of us do.   With that in mind, Dannyboy could have moved into the house next to mine. Its possible, right?.....but no way. I get the guy who collects stamps.

The trailer is cool as can be. So well though out and the design is incredible.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »
A great power and potential comes with being able to do competent metal fabrication. The same with welding. Your world changes when you get those capabilities in hand.  :028:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline rcannon409

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2012 ninja 1000
  • City / Town: slc, ut
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
I can weld, and do decent mechanical work.  I lack that artistic ability to create something like this trailer. I have Zero of whatever that is.

One of my co-workers has that artist skill and makes custom furniture from old packing crates.  I thought it was a joke until I saw his finished work. Its beautiful, and the trailer has THAT.

Offline dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 02:51:25 PM »
What about the downward force on the tow bar caused by the nose weight of the trailer? Are you just relying on the friction of the wheel spindle or is there a support bar up to the bike's frame that's not shown?

Recent Topics

waggish