Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: California fires  (Read 186 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
California fires
« on: November 14, 2018, 07:32:25 AM »
To all our friends across the water...................  my heart goes out to all who have been involved and suffered loss from the Californian fires......

It is a truly terrible situation  :003:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: California fires
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:36:13 AM »
Yes it is bad. A real human tragedy in those heavily populated areas. Sadly, most of the western US is being steadily deforested. Warming shifts are causing epidemics of pine borer beetles which kill the trees, then they burn in droughts. Ironically, human fire prevention efforts have led to an unnaturally thick understory in the forests. Then when it dries out it is explosive.

It is hard to get a perspective on this. For the earth it's like shaving a beard. Burning off that California scrub is nothing. 50, 100, a few hundred years and the coniferous forests can all grows back. But for us on the human time scale it is heartbreaking because we won't see it like it was again.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 08:46:22 AM »
Interesting Sonny, thanks for the explanation  :169:   

Obviously what we see here is the T.V footage which looks horrific
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:30 AM »
I live in Northern California and we have spent the last 12 days locked inside due to some of the worst air quality in the world - and we're 150 miles away from the actual fires!  It's devastating what's going on.  Sonny's right on all the factors, and the fact that forest fires are simply a normal part of the environment in the Western US.  That being said, I've lived here for over 25 years and only in the last 2 years have we had the kind of fires that devastate hundreds of thousands of acres and affect life for hundreds of miles.  This is the 3rd time in 2 years.

A few months ago I did a ride up to the giant redwoods in N. Cal (https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,19223.msg222514.html#msg222514).  I rode through the area of the Sonoma fire that happened almost 2 years ago.  There were areas that used to be populated neighborhoods but were now a matrix of cement foundations surrounded by blackened totem poles that used to be trees.  Even when insurance pays out a lot of people can't afford to rebuild their homes, and these calamities have spiked construction costs across the country. 

I guess we need to get used to a lot more of this.

Offline francis83

• Versys God
  • Bike: V1K MK1 2012
  • City / Town: Trans en provenc
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »
I hope that all the involved people will find peace and a normal life again as soon as possible. We had big flood in 2010 and we know the feeling of people bringing face to the nature's tantrum.
The main point is invisible for the eyes

Recent Topics