Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford Heated Grips  (Read 878 times)

Offline fishforpike

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: KLZ VERSYS 1000
  • City / Town: Galway
Oxford Heated Grips
« on: November 20, 2018, 11:31:18 AM »
Hi had oxford heated grips on the bike when i bought it back in the summer, anyway its winter now and I've started using the heated grips.
the only problem is if the settings is 50% or above the adhesive used to stick the grips to the bars melts and the rubber grips rotate!!! Anyone else have this issue, the only easy quick fix is to only use the 25% option. Once the adhesive cools down the grips are stuck in place.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 12:22:14 PM by fishforpike »

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
Re: Oxford Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »
I've had 3 sets on different bikes and always had to buy a new set when I sold the bike. This time on my V, I decided not to glue them on. The left grip rotates a little but the throttle side doesn't. Hasn't been a issue for me. 
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline PhillH

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 GT
  • City / Town: Chester
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
I put a couple of black cable ties around mine - rock solid.

Offline Dinodog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
Yep!  the right ones ok but the left one turns, naughty grips  :192:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by fishforpike [+]
Hi had oxford heated grips on the bike when i bought it back in the summer, anyway its winter now and I've started using the heated grips.
the only problem is if the settings is 50% or above the adhesive used to stick the grips to the bars melts and the rubber grips rotate!!! Anyone else have this issue, the only easy quick fix is to only use the 25% option. Once the adhesive cools down the grips are stuck in place.

YES, this has happened on my Oxford heated grips (Left side only) however when I noticed I was about to stop anyway and by the time I returned they had cooled and were firmly stuck again

I think that PhilHs idea might be the answer, that is if a stronger adhesive isn't available, alternatively some lockwire , as used on racing bike grips would work as long as it isn't over tightened   :169: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline fishforpike

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by PhillH [+]
I put a couple of black cable ties around mine - rock solid.
Another great use for cable ties

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:42:53 PM »
Pike, you've had your V for a few months now. How is it working out for you? Has she found a place in your heart?  :031:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline fishforpike

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:58:29 PM »
Its a great bike, still riding to and from work eventhough i could take the car. I'm not too impressed by the headlight, i think it would be better as two headlights dipped or full beam. Still averaging 360 Kms per tank which I'm happy with.
So mod wise I'm thinking crash bars and spot lights. the new 2019 model looks great with some nice extras,cruise control,electric adjustable hydraulic suspension and LED lights, but I'm happy with my 2015 bad boy!

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:13:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by fishforpike [+]
... but I'm happy with my 2015 bad boy!

And I with mine -- it was a very good year!  :2:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
I might start a new thread for this but I figured I would piggy back here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these I just want to make sure I have my info correct. So there is a lead on the stock wire harness to connect heated grips so you dont have to run it back to the battery, correct? From what Ive read, you need to swap the electrical connector on the Oxfords to a sumitomo 2-prong connector for it to work. Do I have this right?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:36:46 PM by DrGonzo615 »

Recent Topics

waggish