Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oxford Heated Grips  (Read 1121 times)

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
Re: Oxford Heated Grips
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 06:05:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
I might start a new thread for this but I figured I would piggy back here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these I just want to make sure I have my info correct. So there is a lead on the stock wire harness to connect heated grips so you dont have to run it back to the battery, correct? From what Ive read, you need to swap the electrical connector on the Oxfords to a sumitomo 2-prong connector for it to work. Do I have this right?

The latest Oxford Heated Grips have a “smart” controller which detects electrical noise, ie when the engine is running and producing charge, and turns the grips off when the engine is not running. This allows you to connect the grips directly to the battery should you choose.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Online Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 06:22:34 PM »
FWIW- I just installed Oxford grips the other day.  Did it as Longdog described, direct to battery.  Very easy install and controller operation is slick.

Having said that, if your heart is set on using the original loom check out this posting "Heated Grip Power Supply" from March 2016 by Pickaxe.  I think you'll likely find the info you need there.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 07:21:58 PM »
Thanks Guys. Now that I think about it, probably best just to run it to the battery, then I have a spare power lead in case i want to wire up some other stuff!  :001:

Are you guys happy with your Oxfords? did you have to file down the throttle tube to get it on? Any hang ups during installation?

Online Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »
I wasn't clear on which grip would be the correct length, so I took a chance and ordered the Adventure model, OF690Z.  Turned out I got lucky and it was the right one, no cutting or trimming required with Barkbuster Storm hand guards installed.  Have only used it a couple days, but riding home last night it was 38 F and with heaters in one of the mid selections I was quite comfortable.

No filing required during install.  Just make sure you get all the old adhesive off and you should be okay.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Offline longdog

• Versys God
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
You have 5 heat settings now with the Oxford Adventure grips, so there is a setting for everyone.

No issues with the installation either. My old ST1300 had a ridged throttle tube so I had to file that down a bit but no issues with the Versys, very straight-forward indeed.
Titty bars aren't bad if you enjoy being sexually aroused without an outlet. Oh, and they're also convenient if you're in the mood for paying double the normal price for a drink. If I'm in the mood to be treated poorly while giving up large amounts of cash, I visit a BMW dealership

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »
So I recently installed these grips and they were totally fine on the first ride (I noticed the throttle side seemed to warm up a bit faster than the clutch side but at temp, they seemed the same). Now today I rode to work and there was heavy fog, enough to collect into rain on my jacket and windscreen (not sure if this is the cause or not) and the grips were kinda all over the place. THe clutch side took longer to heat up than than it did previously, then it kinda seemed to be on and off for most of the ride to work. Once I got close to work the throttle felt like it turned off as well.

I checked all the wiring and it all seems fine, the connectors feel snug. Even though it was a bit moist outside, I have the connectors zip tied to the front fairing stay and they seemed dry. Any ideas where I should look? or should I just file a warranty claim with Oxford?

Offline Dinodog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 01:10:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
(I noticed the throttle side seemed to warm up a bit faster than the clutch side but at temp, they seemed the same)

Mines the same i checked with a temp meter and the right one is hotter slightly  :027:
Green Versys 1000 GT 2018

Smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast.

Offline Yox

• Versys God
  • Bike: V 1000
  • City / Town: Heathfield
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 02:43:10 PM »
It's because it's better insulated due to the plastic throttle tube whereas the left one is directly on the metal bar.
Those that live by the sword get shot by those that don't.

Recent Topics