Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: removing front fender  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
  • Bike: FZ1 and 18' V1
  • City / Town: Mechanicsville
removing front fender
« on: November 20, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
I did a search and didn't find anything guys.
 I pulled the front fender last night to install a fender extender. I got the brake lines out of the clips with no real problem. However; the clips really get in the way when pulling the fender out from between the forks. I had to do some squeezing and finally got it out. But I'm afraid I'll break the fender if I keep doing it that way.

Any tricks to this?

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Re: removing front fender
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Iceman63 [+]
I did a search and didn't find anything guys.
 I pulled the front fender last night to install a fender extender. I got the brake lines out of the clips with no real problem. However; the clips really get in the way when pulling the fender out from between the forks. I had to do some squeezing and finally got it out. But I'm afraid I'll break the fender if I keep doing it that way.

Any tricks to this?
IM

Apart from taking the front wheel off which is a PITA, then no there is not  :151:

I have got to fit a front fender to keep my pipes clean, as 100MA (the previous owner) will be a little upset and give me hell or a right  :088: at the next NVM,  if they are dirty  :033:

So I am thinking of drilling the 4 rivets heads off on the metal brake line holders and replacing them with a small SS Flange Socket Button Screw and a SS dome headed nut on the inside  :028:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 04:23:42 PM by TowerMan »
                  Details HERE  :123A:
And the on the V650 forum - www.versys.co.uk

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
I installed my fender extender with the fender still on the bike...Its not that difficult

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 05:55:31 PM »
I already have the extender installed. Just for future fender removal I was looking for a better way. The "drill the rivets out/replace with small screw and nut" may be the best way.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »
:f
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
I installed my fender extender with the fender still on the bike...Its not that difficult

Me too, obviously care must be taken to mark accurately before drilling  (measure 3 times drill once)

Place a suitable piece of wood between the tyre and the fender and then drill, I placed some masking tape on the fender prior to marking, this restricted any movement of the drill bit whilst drilling.

I used 3 X S/S bolts and small nuts to further secure the extender in addition to a smear of clear silicone. ..... it wont fall off and it looks excellent IMHO

It really wasnt difficult 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Bully

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: versys 1000 gt
  • City / Town: Salisbury uk
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
I drilled mine out and fitted new rivets , I have an old cheap riveter that has saved the day many times .

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 10:04:19 PM »
When i put a fender extender on my V-650 i just cleaned and scuffed the area that the extender would attach to. Then i used Gorilla Glue Epoxy on the area on the extender making contact with the fender and used a couple of clamps to hold together overnight and never had an issue in over 4 years....No need to take the fender off.... If i put one on the V-1000 i will do it the same way....

IMG_0123 by weljo2001, on Flickr

024 by weljo2001, on Flickr
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 10:11:46 PM »
Dealer did mine for me :759:

Pyramid in UK supply ultra grab sticky pads and plastic rivets with theirs. If you don't get the extender spot on first time with stickies you are stuffed they won't let go DAMHIK.

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 12:02:28 AM »
Similar to Weljo, I fitted my fender extender without taking the fender off the bike and just used automotive 'Tiger Sealant' without any screws. Solid as a rock  :152:

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 01:05:45 AM »
I attached the fender extender(Pyramid) with 3M double sided sticky tape. I used it on the fender extender on my FZ1 and it's been holding strong for 16 plus years. The issue was getting the fender off/out from between the forks because of the brake line holders  riveted to either side of the fender. I didn't want to take the front wheel off(besides, I still have to obtain a 22mm hex attachment). May do as mention earlier, and drill the rivets out and replace with ss screws/nuts.

Recent Topics

waggish