Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Madstad windshield for 2018  (Read 927 times)

Offline Dave

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000
Madstad windshield for 2018
« on: November 21, 2018, 08:38:41 AM »
Looking at the 22” or 24” Madstad windshield for my 2018 bike. I’m 6’ 2” with a 32” inseam, so just thinking about how high a screen will be best since I want to look over, not through, the screen.  Anyone out there installed one, and if so, how do you like it?? Thanks.

Online dketchum

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: San Antonio
Re: Madstad windshield for 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
I am on my 3rd Madstad. Had one on GL1800  Goldwing, Versys 650 and now my Versys 1000.   Very pleased with the performance.  Have tried many different screens, but prefer the adjustability of the Madstad.  I am only 5’9 but have a 32 inch inseam(long legs, short torso) So I use and 18 inch screen to see over the top. I worked with the people at Madstad to get the setup and screen height perfect for me.  They have recommended screen heights based on your height etc.
and they have great support, email or call them,  and will swap out screens for you till you get the perfect setup. 

Offline Dave

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:32:59 PM »
Thanks for the response. Good to know your thoughts on the MadStad since you’ve had three of them.  Took your advice and gave them a call and I’ve ordered a 22”. Hopefully I have same great experience you’ve had once I get it installed.

Offline Dave

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 04:32:19 AM »
So, I received my 22” Madstad and have installed it. Easy installation - total of 40 minutes to remove the stock screen, install the Madstad brackets and mount the new screen.  The 22” Madstad is 3” taller than the stock screen when the Madstad is in the lowest position, and 5” taller than the stock screen when the Madstad is in the highest position.  Sitting on the bike I am barely looking over the top edge of the screen when it’s in the highest position. Again, I’m 6’2” and have a 32” inseam. I’m running it at around a 60 degree angle and this gives around a 4” deep gap at the bottom of the screen for lots of airflow coming up under the back of the screen. I’ve now run it for around 200 miles, including cruising at speeds of 65-75 mph.  Noticeable improvement from the stock screen AND a Kappa screen I tried prior to the purchase of the Madstad.  Very satisfied with the fit, finish and overall quality of the Madstad brackets and screen. Most importantly; it has greatly reduced the wind noise and buffeting.  Great product for the Versys!

Offline Nighthawk

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Washington State
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 06:29:21 AM »
Good choice. I have been riding with a 22" smoke colored Madstad for nearly three years and 20,000 miles. I have been very happy with it.

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:18 AM »
Good to know, Dave. My 22" Madstad should be here in a couple days. I was debating 20" or 22" with myself, opted for the 22".

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 02:53:53 AM »
Do these screens have the small airfoil, or no? If so, how much effect does adjusting it have?
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:35:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Do these screens have the small airfoil, or no? If so, how much effect does adjusting it have?

More like the shield IS the airfoil:

https://madstad.com/collections/kawasaki/products/kawasaki-versys-2015-up

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:34:43 AM »
Yes, I see. A lot of people do add a 2 - 3in. extra airfoil on the top of those shields.

One thing is apparent: the Madstad is very smoothly curved compared to most of the other 1-piece screens, which tend to have lower protrusions to clear the handguards. Those have to cause turbulence.

Then the tilt lets you further shape the air flow over the helmet.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »
After reading lots of stuff about a Von Karman vortex street I believe the Madstad setup works better due to it having the 2 layers. With 2 layers, the 1st layer no longer has a low pressure area behind it due to the air coming up between them and the 2nd layer no longer has air hitting it at right angles. Those alternating vortexes are the buffeting we feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_vortex_street

On my other bike without any kind of fairing, I had to add a couple deflectors to the engine guard to deflect what was coming in from underneath up in front of me instead of on me to help fill that low pressure area behind the shields.

Recent Topics