Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New to the site  (Read 231 times)

Offline BikerBud12

• Versys Newbie
  • Bike: 2012 Versys 650
  • City / Town: Lower Burrell
Re: New to the site
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:03:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oldplodder [+]
Hi,
I have had both bikes and traded from the little one to the big one. The big one obviously has a more powerful engine but the main difference is the smoothness of the 1000.
The 650 does feel a bit nimbler than the 1000 but don't think the 1000 cannot be hustled along. It goes very well indeed, just not quite as nimble at the 650 when you are really pushing on, especially in really twisty bits. Having said that I never seem to get anywhere near to it's limits anyway.
The 1000 is a lot roomier than the 650 for the rider and more so for any passenger. (One of the strong points of the V1000 over many similar other makes.)
The V1000 engine has been around for a long time and it is not known as being a weak and troublesome engine at all - With regular maintenance it should be able to do some stellar mileages.

I would suggest a test-ride if you can get one, but do remember to take your wallet with you!
(I speak from experience of the test-ride!)

I don't tend to have many good twistys around me, well at least not many I currently know of.  I tend to run a lot of highways. Why should I be expecting for like gas mileage, tire life, and if I see no cops top speed?  I may have got the 650 to 128mph. As for the room I never had much issue on the 650 unless the girlfriend was with me.  With how small the backseat was she would keep moving up then my nuggets were smashed up on the tank.  Thank god I never hit a big bump like that.  Anything you could think of to make the passenger feel safer on it?  She doesn't tend to like me going over 40 and she has a hard time being on it for over 30min at a time.  Looking into the trunk with backrest for when I do get the bike. I like to test ride bikes so I have all the info the dealer needs every time I go out  :002:
Who needs a map, gps, or knowledge of the roads?  Getting lost is more fun

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:02 PM »
I usually get in excess of 50 miles to the UK gallon but I am not a super fast rider. I tend to stick close to the  speed limits.
Tyre life is very dependent on the rider's style. I'm heavy on tyres and don't manage the mileage of others on the forum, but I am happy with my mileage which is about 6-7000 miles per rear and slightly less for a front.
I cannot comment on top speed as I have not had a chance to find out - I live in North Wales which is not known for its speeding friendly police.
I cannot comment on the passenger seating position on the Versys 1000 as my Mrs does not pillion on the Versys at all. She is passenger on my other bike and will not ride on anything else (A Honda Goldwing). I would offer though that the pillion seat on the V650 was not a comfortable place for any but the smallest of pillions, whereas the big V has a great big comfy seat for the pillion, and this may make a great difference for you as she is more likely to be comfortable enough to last a lot longer.
I would also recommend a top-box with a large pad for the pillion to lean against  - my Mrs says that is one of the main reasons she will only go on the Goldwing as she knows she cannot fall off if I accelerate hard, which I don't do when she is with me anyway.

Dave T

Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline BikerBud12

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
I usually get in excess of 50 miles to the UK gallon but I am not a super fast rider. I tend to stick close to the  speed limits.
Tyre life is very dependent on the rider's style. I'm heavy on tyres and don't manage the mileage of others on the forum, but I am happy with my mileage which is about 6-7000 miles per rear and slightly less for a front.
I cannot comment on top speed as I have not had a chance to find out - I live in North Wales which is not known for its speeding friendly police.
I cannot comment on the passenger seating position on the Versys 1000 as my Mrs does not pillion on the Versys at all. She is passenger on my other bike and will not ride on anything else (A Honda Goldwing). I would offer though that the pillion seat on the V650 was not a comfortable place for any but the smallest of pillions, whereas the big V has a great big comfy seat for the pillion, and this may make a great difference for you as she is more likely to be comfortable enough to last a lot longer.
I would also recommend a top-box with a large pad for the pillion to lean against  - my Mrs says that is one of the main reasons she will only go on the Goldwing as she knows she cannot fall off if I accelerate hard, which I don't do when she is with me anyway.

After looking you a little conversion of 50 UK gallons is about the equivalent to 60 US gallons.  That's surprising to me being my 650 gets around 45mpg so around 37 UK.  I can't say I was expecting a jump especially that much.   As for the tires that about what I have been averaging for the 650.  Our cops don't like people speeding also, but if I get a chance when no one is around me I like to open the bike up.

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 11:14:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by BikerBud12 [+]
After looking you a little conversion of 50 UK gallons is about the equivalent to 60 US gallons.  That's surprising to me being my 650 gets around 45mpg so around 37 UK.  I can't say I was expecting a jump especially that much.   As for the tires that about what I have been averaging for the 650.  Our cops don't like people speeding also, but if I get a chance when no one is around me I like to open the bike up.

There is the difference in riding style - I used to get high 50s on my 650.

Your cops have a very large area to police and your can get a chance to try higher speeds out without a police officer being in sight.
In this area, we have very active policing due to the high number of motorcyclists involved in fatal collisions , in many cases due to excessive speed, as we do have some lovely roads.

I dare not chance a ticket around here as it would be very embarrassing for me and my family if I were caught.

Dave T

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: GREEN, 2017 GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 11:30:49 AM »
Roger,

Well spotted - despite reading thrice I still missed my typo - now corrected

Dave T

Blame the predictive text Dave................  That's what I do  :008:   

Sonny......  to nibble a bike may just be an offence for which you could be in trouble  :008:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 06:04:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by BikerBud12 [+]

I have read this twice and I think that you have mistaken the Imperial Gallon as being smaller than the US gallon. It is actually the other way around. The  US Gallon is equal to just over 0.83 Imperial Gallons so your 45 MPG is much better when you are talking about imperial gallons

45 /0.832 = 54 MPG with Imperial Gallons

Dave T

Offline BikerBud12

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 08:03:10 PM »
I have read this twice and I think that you have mistaken the Imperial Gallon as being smaller than the US gallon. It is actually the other way around. The  US Gallon is equal to just over 0.83 Imperial Gallons so your 45 MPG is much better when you are talking about imperial gallons

45 /0.832 = 54 MPG with Imperial Gallons

After doing a quick google search 1 Imperial Gallon = 1.20095 US Liquid Gallon.  That's what I'm looking at but I also know not everything on the internet is correct. And if you have seen that before that might have been what that member was also looking at.

Recent Topics