Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: pros and cons  (Read 1376 times)

Offline slowmotion

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: Belfast
pros and cons
« on: December 10, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Hi there, I was considering buying a new Versys standard version and was wondering if some of you z owners would be able to help me in simply letting me know what it is that you like about your current machine and I don't think that the latest model will really be much different that the earlier ones. For example, what is the screen like, mpg, power delivering a low speeds as I am not really worried about top end speed, handeling, comfort, service costs etc. I think that they are fantastic looking machine and had a test ride on a v 1000 2 years ago and can still remember how light it felt and easy to throw into the corners. I have just noticed that I had a similar post back in 2015 but any additional information would be a help. At that time I had bought the xs and now have a multi 950 which is a great bike but it is time for a change
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 09:28:10 AM by slowmotion »
ye must be born again

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
Hello there, I have no doubt that you will receive responses to your various questions

I'm going to suggest that you first use the search button on the top bar..... now don't get me wrong here, I'm not being a smart arse, but there are so many questions around these subjects that you might be swamped with replies as these types of question can be subjective...... screens, mpg, comfort, tyres, servicing etc all being very popular well documented topics

I can confirm though that the latest model Versys 1000 is very different from its predecessors   :169:  if you look at the threads under Versys 1000 General Chat you will find page after page detailing this very topic

I hope that this helps  :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Dinodog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
  :185:
I can only suggest that a test drive with both 2018 and the new 2019 models at your local dealer would answer a few questions and costs, I have the 2019 model and find it very  rideable, cant say I take much notice of MPG I fill up when I need to, I had mine lowered as it was to high for me, depending on what you actually need from a bike and the equipment list you can always get a cheap one and add to it with what ever kit you need.
good luck
Green Versys 1000 GT 2018

Smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast.

Offline Vern

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Black Versys GT
  • City / Town: Widnes
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
Hi Slowmotion,

I use a Mk2 Versys 1000 for leisure and it almost always carries both myself and wife. We are not lightweights and so the bike is 'running heavy'. Now at 10000 miles (Had a Mk1 to 20000m)
It pulls very very well from low rpm, then when the tacho reaches 4k rpm it wakes up, and from 7k rpm it wears a different hat and we love it. Not scary acceleration, but pure fun as the front wheel dances; it will easily lift the front off the tarmac in 2nd gear.
When I have ridden solo I have found the front suspension choppy on some surfaces (lots of suspension adjustment has never resolved this), but when two-up the front suspension is just right; but then two-up can overwork the rear shock rebound.
Economy is fine for me and always above 50 mpg,
The seat can be uncomfortable as it has slight forward slope, but I solved this by fitting handlebar risers, and for some reason this made the seat comfort fine for me - bizare!
I found the standard screen awful (6'02") and fitted a taller screen with a 'spoiler', greatest improvement I found for my riding pleasure.
I cannot comment on servicing costs as I complete my own servicing, but my dealer did the first service for free.
Model difference is a matter of interpretation and you do not mention your mechanical/ engineering knowledge.
My observation between the Mk2 and Mk3. New bodywork sits on the same chassis, wheels, swingarm, and engine (extra cat to meet regs) and remains chain driven. Different front brake calipers, and an ABS system that adjusts assistance to suit your leaning/ braking input, new switch gear with cruise control. Fresh front lights feature LED lighting and work together rather separately. Different screen mounting, and seat. Same panniers and top box.

These observations are made against the Mk2 and entry level Mk3 Versys 1000 that you are considering.

Enjoy your search, Vern

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dinodog [+]
  :185:
I can only suggest that a test drive with both 2018 and the new 2019 models at your local dealer would answer a few questions and costs, I have the 2019 model and find it very  rideable, cant say I take much notice of MPG I fill up when I need to, I had mine lowered as it was to high for me, depending on what you actually need from a bike and the equipment list you can always get a cheap one and add to it with what ever kit you need.
good luck

WOW, that as quick, when did you get it... tell us more  :002:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Dinodog

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
[/quote

:157: oh yer me dreaming :lostit: 2018 model
Green Versys 1000 GT 2018

Smoke me a kipper ill be back for breakfast.

Offline Justa_Poser

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Missouri, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
I had a green Versys 1000 and then I sold it and then I missed it and then I bought another Versys 1000.
A 2017 model here.

We own several motorcycles - mostly large cruisers and touring bikes.  This Versys is much lighter and fun to ride.  Fuel mileage for an old guy like me is near 50 miles to the gallon.

Haven't had it on a trip longer than 1,200 miles - but it does well (with a larger windscreen, handlebar risers, and aftermarket seat).

The center stand is nice, as are the quick-detach side bags.

Shaft drive would be an improvement, but I can live with chain drive.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dinodog [+]
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
[/quote

:157: oh yer me dreaming :lostit: 2018 model

Ya had me going there  :008:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
I am a new prospective owner here as well. Hi,

I decided to go with top model for one reason only - electronic suspension! The reviews of this suspension are incredible. Bike can automatically adjust front fork in a split of a second to the point were bike softens it before you feel a bump you just hit... Similar to the KTM Adventure suspension.

Heated Grips, quick shifter and other small perks are also a plus since I don't need to worry about installing them by myself.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:22:39 PM »
All the additions to the SE model, coming on top of a well proven all-round great bike, will almost have to be fantastic. If you can afford the price of admission, then break out the spendy stuff.  :celebrate:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics