Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The 176 Mile Versys MK3 Test Ride  (Read 7702 times)

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Re: The 176 Mile Versys MK3 Test Ride
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Himself [+]
Every day is a school day  :763:

Thanks Man, excellent review!!! It flows like a cold beer on a hot summer day. :)

Now it gets even more exciting waiting for my bike to arrive mid March.

You have mentioned radiator guard. Do you find it a must have? My dealer tried to convince me that I don’t need it.  :027:

Offline Himself

• Versys Pro
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: Ex 2017 GT Owner
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 03:36:54 PM »
Susan (my MK2) has a radiator guard. To me, it just seems sensible. The cost of a replacement if a stone gets flicked up, let alone the aggravation of waiting about for the breakdown van, and you know this is going to happen in the most remote location and just when you need to be somewhere else.

The best unnecessary purchase ever :008: Except perhaps for the puncture repair kit (and yes, I have one in my top box)
I was seduced by a 1000SX and gave into temptation

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Himself [+]
Susan (my MK2) has a radiator guard. To me, it just seems sensible. The cost of a replacement if a stone gets flicked up, let alone the aggravation of waiting about for the breakdown van, and you know this is going to happen in the most remote location and just when you need to be somewhere else.

The best unnecessary purchase ever :008: Except perhaps for the puncture repair kit (and yes, I have one in my top box)

Thanks bro! Decided I am going to add it to the deal!
The total list of accessories just gets bigger and bigger.  :lostit:

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K LT,SE
  • City / Town: Aurora, Colorado.
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 05:55:37 PM »
Wondering if the 2019 Standard model will hit the US shores. As on now only the SE model is being advertised on Kawi's US web site.
Chuck Henderson, Aurora, Colorado
RIDE a little FASTER, RIDE a little FURTHER
https://www.facebook.com/chuck.henderson.980
14 FJR1300A (Ruby FeeJeR) 17 VX300 (Little Gray Bike)
19 Versys 1000 LT SE (Flying Nun)

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by chucksklrst [+]
Wondering if the 2019 Standard model will hit the US shores. As on now only the SE model is being advertised on Kawi's US web site.
It is available here in Canada. Normally we get leftovers from US...  :027:

Dealer told me that bikes have been shipped to Kawasaki Canada few weeks ago and expected delivery date is late February.

I have another question - does quickshifter allows to downshift all the way down to first gear or I have to use clutch from second gear to first?

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
As I understand it, on the BMW's quick shift one needs to use the clutch to Down shift in to  first and to shift up to second. Not sure what the new Kaw will do.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:44:38 PM by chucksklrst »

Offline Himself

• Versys Pro
  • Adventure Before Dementia
  • Bike: Ex 2017 GT Owner
  • City / Town: Newark, Notts
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2018, 08:27:17 PM »
I used the Kawasaki quick shifter from 1st to 2nd ... that is what caught me out the first time, so I know that way works.

2nd to 1st ... I'd need to double check. Typically I'm stopping in 2nd and then looking for neutral or already in 1st when coming to a halt. Either way, as I'm stopping I'd be using the clutch.

I think the quick shifter worked 2nd-to-1st, but I would want to put money on it without checking.
I was seduced by a 1000SX and gave into temptation

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 01:14:28 PM »
Thanks for update. Wow, this is whole different level of quick shifting. Almost like an automatic transmission...  :37:

I am in Florida right now. Planning to stop by a local Kawa dealer to see if they have one on a show room... will keep you posted.

Offline chucksklrst

• Versys Pro
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr.ford [+]
Thanks for update. Wow, this is whole different level of quick shifting. Almost like an automatic transmission...  :37:

I am in Florida right now. Planning to stop by a local Kawa dealer to see if they have one on a show room... will keep you posted.

I think they are going to be scarce as hens teeth in the US. From talking with the dealers around the Denver area. They are saying that most will not order one in unless a customer wants one. In the past the Big Versys was not a big seller. Not to mention the insurance cost is expensive as the bike is classified as a Sport Bike.  They have all told me that if any of them get one in, it won't be until the latter part of Feb, early March

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
Himself said: I never thought I’d need cruise control on a motorcycle. I’m on a motorcycle because I want to ride it, so if you want to take over any part of riding the bike, then I'm going to object. Yet, with the button just under my left thumb, I knew I was going to press it, to see what happened. And press it I did,...

I know the feeling, and had the same skepticism when I got an Xmax 300 scooter with belt driven CVT. I soon found it did not take away from the riding experience, just reallocated my attention to other things, in an enjoyable way. Which is not to say I consider management of clutch and shifter to be s**t work at all -- I enjoy it --, just that when it's gone you can focus more attention on the kinetics of handling and braking, which is neat.  :039:

I'd love to have electronic cruise, but wouldn't want to pay to back engineer it onto my Mk2.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics