Author Topic: Bar risers in the UK  (Read 889 times)

Offline Blue

• Versys Member
  • City / Town: UK
Bar risers in the UK
on: December 24, 2018, 12:29:51 AM
Hi - Sorry about starting another thread on risers. After a couple of longish rides, I'm starting to get to know my 2018 V1K. I love the bike, but I'm finding my shoulders and right arm aching after an hour or so, and the seat pretty uncomfortable; so much so that I was glad to get off the bike after a couple of hours. I'm pretty sure both problems come down to the handlebars being a bit too far away for me, and did a search  on this site to find out about risers for 28mm handlebars. The Motowerk 25mm riser obviously looks like a good choice, but the shipping charges make it a little pricey, and I'd rather not have the wait as it passes through customs checks etc. The only other options I see are the SW Motech risers, but these are only 20mm and I've seen reports that the distance between the holes in the clamps may not fit the Versys. Then there's the Rox pivot style risers (and the SW Motech equivalent), but these are 1 3/4" or 2" which means that I might need to mess around with the cables - I'd rather not do this.

Can anyone confirm that the SW Motech 20mm risers fit the more recent Versys? Or are there any other UK suppliers I've missed. If all else fails, I'll take the hit on the Motowerk risers, but I'd like to get the problem sorted sooner rather than later. TIA

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Bar risers in the UK
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 10:31:07 AM
I can't comment on the SW Motech risers, but I'd be surprised if they don't fit as this company generally has quality proven products.  I have the Motowerk risers which are excellent quality and they work for me, the wait for shipment is, in my opinion, worth it

Before you try any risers.... have you tried adjusting the bars on their standard fitment  :question: ...... if you loosen the four retaining bolts the bars will then become adjustable, it may not work or improve things but it's worth trying.   :169:   

The torque setting when refitting is 18ftLbs,  or 25 Nm 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 02:26:05 PM
Thanks Tyke - SW Motech is usually my go-to brand, as I've always found the quality to be excellent (my old Tiger was full of SW Motech bits, and I've just fitted their GPS mount and tank ring to the Versys), but the risers are universal fitting, and not specified for the V1K mk2. I've seen a couple of reports stating the hole positioning doesn't work for the V1K, but its not clear if that was for the 22mm or 28mm bars. The spec states "Hole spacing: 37-46 mm", which, to be honest, I can't work out - probably me being thick, but I don't get how the space can be a range, unless the holes are oval, not round. I measure the distance to be 48mm. The SW Motech risers are only 20mm, so I'm probably better off going for the Motowerk at 25mm anyway (the SW Motech 30mm may be pushing it a little tight on the cable lengths).

Offline Vern

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Black Versys GT
  • City / Town: Widnes
Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 07:08:02 PM
Hi Blue,
I have no idea why but having fitted bar risers to my Mk2 Versys I have found that I no longer get bum ache, bizarre.
I had a gel seat on my Mk1, and no bar risers & bub ache!!

Vern

Offline Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 09:08:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Vern [+]
Hi Blue,
I have no idea why but having fitted bar risers to my Mk2 Versys I have found that I no longer get bum ache, bizarre.
I had a gel seat on my Mk1, and no bar risers & bub ache!!

Vern
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the risers will help will help with both the shoulder and bum ache. As a matter of interest, which risers are you using on the mk2? I think I'll take the safe option and order the Motowerk risers.

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:18:06 PM
The MotoWerks Bar Risers worked for me but I'm interested in these handle bars ......
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 05:00:08 PM
I ordered the Motowerk risers on the 25th, and they were delivered here today, the 31st. That's 6 days from the US to UK over the festive period. Seriously impressed by the speed of delivery and the quality of the goods - they even came wrapped in Christmas gift paper! I was hoping to fit them at the same time as the EP radiator guard, which also arrived today, but I had trouble coaxing enough play in the cables. It's going to have to be a job for another day, but full marks to Motowerk.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 05:17:02 PM
They'll fit, you just have to worry the brake line a bit in the rubber barrel protector where it goes thru the bent wire cable guide.

The MW risers are a beautifully made product that immediately helped my ergonomic quibbles. I wouldn't take them off for nothin' now.  :028:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Blue

• Versys Member
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 10:56:53 PM
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
They'll fit, you just have to worry the brake line a bit in the rubber barrel protector where it goes thru the bent wire cable guide.

The MW risers are a beautifully made product that immediately helped my ergonomic quibbles. I wouldn't take them off for nothin' now.  :028:
...now fitted - the dealers did it for an insignificant charge during the 600 mile service, and saved me the trouble. They are undoubtedly better; after a 150 mile ride today I had no shoulder/arm problems, and I didn't notice any bum ache neither. :152:

waggish