TYKE TYKE
2 Posts
Floydsz1 Floydsz1
1 Posts
JohnRS JohnRS
1 Posts
pinkaardvark
1 Posts

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another what tires are you running and how are they holding up.  (Read 3512 times)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Re: Another what tires are you running and how are they holding up.
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 04:02:34 AM »
Replaced the OEM rear tire with a Pirelli Angel GT at about 7k miles. The annoying and present-since-new over-reaction to road defects such as paralleling ridges instantly disappeared. THAT was a welcome surprise, as I'd always blamed the front tire for the problem. I'll replace the front tire at the beginning of the riding season this year.

The Angel GT has a great reputation and I have confidence the tire will live up to it.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 04:09:28 PM »
PR4 GT works very well for me ...long life ,great feed back as to cornering , and in general for two up touring with full load I have no issues .
On the other hand some here would be better off with another brand because they would use the bike differently .

Tire threads are pretty subjective and what works well for some do not for others .
My PR4 GT  are well worn and in the spring I will need  another set if they are not available, I will be in the market for something else ..maybe the 5 ...not sure as of yet …
plus I have to consider this year I will be touring alone moreover.. less weight,  faster cornering speeds, and probably shorter distance so a different tire may be best ..we shall see .
Price comes into play as well ….eh

lots of great tires out there to choose from as well

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 04:11:01 PM by Keener »

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
A subjective thing indeed. It's as if each rider has to wear through several brands before settling on a general preference, and then it's seldom the preference of the next guy. We ride in different ways, in different environments, with different expectations.  :188: :002:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 02:23:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hades [+]
Hi Bro. Cheapest PR5 for the rear is RM 750 from Chan Bikers in Shah Alam. In case you are eager to try. :)

Hi Hades. Thanks, Bro.  :028:

Good thing our V comes 17 inch standard, many good tires to choose from.
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Online fishforpike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: KLZ VERSYS 1000
  • City / Town: Galway
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
Just Changed from bridgestones T30''s got 10,000 miles front and rear to the michelin pilot 4, they have a better rep for driving in the wet which is the main stay in Galway Ireland. We'll have to see. :celebrate:

Offline Smaug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys SE LT+
  • City / Town: Chicago suburbs
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 06:07:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
A subjective thing indeed. It's as if each rider has to wear through several brands before settling on a general preference, and then it's seldom the preference of the next guy. We ride in different ways, in different environments, with different expectations.  :188: :002:

This is a good point. Also, by the time each one of us (on our own) gets the experience of several different tires, the one we like the best may not be in production any more, or there might be a newer, better one out.

I think it is important to list some basic information when giving our subjective feedback, to make it a bit more useful to others:

• Rider weight
  • Percentage of miles that carried passenger?
  • Typical luggage weight carried?
  • How heavy on the throttle were you?
-Jeremy

Offline duardito

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Barcelona
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 07:36:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Throttled [+]
Metzeller Roadtec Z8, which came with the bike when I bought it second hand over 2 years ago and still going strong. I have done about 4000 miles on them.

metzeler z8 my next tires, excellent in all situations.

Offline DrGonzo615

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Sacramento
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 05:47:34 PM »
Pirelli Angel GT II's

They are great sticky tires but are already rounding off the leading edge on the rear with a little over 1000 miles on them. Super disappointed in this as these were not cheap tires.

I've quickened the rebound adjustment to try to counter act this but its still too early to tell if its corrected anything.

Before, anybody posts about tire PSI. They are checked and adjusted before every ride 36 front and 42 rear.

Offline Smaug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys SE LT+
  • City / Town: Chicago suburbs
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by DrGonzo615 [+]
Pirelli Angel GT II's

They are great sticky tires but are already rounding off the leading edge on the rear with a little over 1000 miles on them. Super disappointed in this as these were not cheap tires.

I've quickened the rebound adjustment to try to counter act this but its still too early to tell if its corrected anything.

Before, anybody posts about tire PSI. They are checked and adjusted before every ride 36 front and 42 rear.

Sounds like you're accelerating hard. But this rounding off of the leading edge of the tread should not affect performance at all.
-Jeremy

Offline Bigpadg

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: Cottageville
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 03:26:33 AM »
Dunlop Roadsmart II because their price right now is unbelievable and because the pair I just bought were manufactured in Feb. of this year. Right at 3K miles and the rear still looks 70% remaining.

Recent Topics

waggish