Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 MY insurance  (Read 621 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
2019 MY insurance
« on: January 02, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
My new bike isn't due till Feb/Mch, but I thought O would contact my insurers and ask if they were able to provide a quote

They couldn't because their system doesn't yet recognise the existence of the latest Versys 1000 (2019 GT SE).

I have contacted Kawasaki UK to ask if they can confirm when UK insurers will be brought up to date with the latest models and relevant costs ..... I await a reply.

OOI, the guy at my insurers said they had experienced similar issues with the latest GS 1250. but I think that is now resolved .....so should I buy a 1250 GS instead, or maybe that 1260 S Ducati that is doing its best to seduce me   :1:   :008:   :whistle:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline doc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: bike less
  • City / Town: Huddersfield
Re: 2019 MY insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
Well I'm going to say buy a GS  :152: Move to Slawit and we can go off on rides  :mfr_lol:

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Vstrom 650
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 03:10:48 PM »
Same here in Canada. I was quoted based on 2018 model and was told that final price may vary...

Out of the curiosity, how much do you guys pay for a liter bike insurance in England? Here in Canada, in the province of Ontario I was quoted for $1,500 CAD...

Ontario is very expensive for motorcycle insurance. Some other provinces, like Alberta, pay a lot less...

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by doc [+]
Well I'm going to say buy a GS  :152: Move to Slawit and we can go off on rides  :mfr_lol:

We would have to avoid Crimble Bank  :008:  ( sorry to others as that is an 'private' joke between me and doc  ) 

*Originally Posted by mr.ford [+]
Same here in Canada. I was quoted based on 2018 model and was told that final price may vary...

Out of the curiosity, how much do you guys pay for a liter bike insurance in England? Here in Canada, in the province of Ontario I was quoted for $1,500 CAD...

Ontario is very expensive for motorcycle insurance. Some other provinces, like Alberta, pay a lot less...

Price can vary massively with consideration of riders age, experience, mileage, and importantly area and storage/security arrangements
I paid £137.67 for 12 months which is a good deal less than others, but I'm older with lots of riding experience
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 04:41:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Price can vary massively with consideration of riders age, experience, mileage, and importantly area and storage/security arrangements
I paid £137.67 for 12 months which is a good deal less than others, but I'm older with lots of riding experience

Same here, it varies massively depending on your age and experience. £137 - sounds cheaper than coffee... Stay safe!

By varies, I mean it can be easily over $4,000 a year for a 17yo on a 250cc bike..

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys Master
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr.ford [+]
Same here, it varies massively depending on your age and experience. £137 - sounds cheaper than coffee... Stay safe!
By varies, I mean it can be easily over $4,000 a year for a 17yo on a 250cc bike..

£137 is q cheap quote - I pay a bit more for mine!!
Over $4000 for a 17yo is robbery - that's the only way to describe it.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline 100milesaway

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 650 MK3
  • City / Town: Leyburn. N Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:00 PM »
I think, that with the price of the top of the range new bikes climbing steadily,  you may just find that your next premium will be quite a hike from last years figure Rog.  :761:
If man evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 10:57:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by 100milesaway [+]
I think, that with the price of the top of the range new bikes climbing steadily,  you may just find that your next premium will be quite a hike from last years figure Rog.  :761:
I am not an expert, but I don't think the value of the bike is the main factor affecting insurance price. Its the liability that is the most expensive part of insurance. In Canada, minimum liability by law is $1,000,000 in the case of catastrophic injury. As a result, safer bikes have lower insurance rates... For example, a very old and rusty sport bike that worth few hundred bucks will have higher insurance price than a brand new, fully loaded BMW 1250 GS...

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 12:09:21 AM »
Most UK policies will replace a new bike for 12/24 months which adds to the risk/cost. There are of course many other factors, age, experience, claims, occupation, post code, garaged annual mileage etc.

I was paying £90 on old bike paying £180 fully comprehensive 100 xs on this one which I didn't think was too bad with a 12K mile  p.a "limit".

Offline BikerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2018 V1K GT SE
  • City / Town: SE London
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 01:09:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by dizzy [+]
Most UK policies will replace a new bike for 12/24 months which adds to the risk/cost. There are of course many other factors, age, experience, claims, occupation, post code, garaged annual mileage etc.

I was paying £90 on old bike paying £180 fully comprehensive 100 xs on this one which I didn't think was too bad with a 12K mile  p.a "limit".

Dizzy, I appreciate that age, experience, occupation, location, etc., etc., is a contributory factor, but in my opinion, that is still very cheap for fully comprehensive cover on a 2018 V1K. If you don't mind me asking, what insurance company is that with as my insurance is up for renewal at the beginning of March on a very similar bike.
Many thanks.

Recent Topics