Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any luck with traffic signal mods?  (Read 522 times)

Offline Lucky7

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
Any luck with traffic signal mods?
« on: January 04, 2019, 05:13:25 AM »
Traffic signals in the area where I live and work do not respond to my V1000.  I have spent a couple hundred dollars now on various magnets in many configurations attempting to be "seen" by traffic lights to no benefit.

I have read consistently that magnets have worked for others and so continued adding magnets.  Finally bought 4 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTXGPMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and installed them.  Tested today with still no lights in my area finding me.  What gives?

Have others found similar problems, or can recommend a solution?

Online Bayonet

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: North Essex
Re: Any luck with traffic signal mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:54:53 AM »
I used to lay temporary loops on the road to count traffic. We used a 1 metre square pattern and the most sensitive part of the loop to pick up a vehicle is the corners (2 lengths of cable for your money on a corner). When I have to get out of car parks that are a bit hit and miss picking up bikes I aim for the corners of the loop cut in to the road surface.
2015 Versys 1000- 81,000 miles, 1 frayed starter circuit wire, 10 shims (over two checks), 6 rear tyres, 8 front tyres, 10 oil changes, 2 sets of plugs, 2 air filter, 10 fork seals,  1 set of head race bearings, 2 chain and sprocket sets, 4 screens, 4 pairs of front brake pads, 2 pair of rear pads (old ones wouldn't' wear out) 9 washes and counting.

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 05:29:31 PM »
This is a huge pet peeve for me !  Bayonet is certainly correct about straddling as many wires as possible, but I'm also convinced the sensitivity of the sensors is inconsistent, so they'll pick up my bike at some intersections and not others.  Here in Oregon, it's legal to go on your way after a signals have gone through a complete cycle of lights without recognizing your presence, so I just do that.  Kind of confuses folks if they don't realize the scenario, but it is legal.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Online Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:58:00 PM »
Are you sure there are even coils in the ground anymore where you are ?
Around here they have long been replaced with cameras  ..and if your the only one waiting for a light, your gonna be there a while since most of the time  they dont even see bikes ...I will wait for 3 or 4 minutes then I just proceed through  since its legal here also....but proceed cautiously of course.

Offline Huckleberry

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 08:11:30 PM »
Yeah, they're definitely there.  Just not very reliable in some locations.
I've rarely gotten in hot water over something I didn't say.

Dave

Online Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Huckleberry [+]
Yeah, they're definitely there.  Just not very reliable in some locations.

There are almost none left by me  , we are using cameras instead

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »
We have wires here and there are 2 intersections where the light won't trip for a bike. If there isn't a car there first, I just run the light when there is no traffic or LEOs

Offline Lucky7

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Spring
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 03:05:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bayonet [+]
I used to lay temporary loops on the road to count traffic. We used a 1 metre square pattern and the most sensitive part of the loop to pick up a vehicle is the corners (2 lengths of cable for your money on a corner). When I have to get out of car parks that are a bit hit and miss picking up bikes I aim for the corners of the loop cut in to the road surface.

There are three lights that I find will respond to my bike when coming to a stop immediately above the corner.  Thank you for the tip!  There are also several that are unresponsive even in this position.

Recent Topics