Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New member, thought I'd say hello. Great forum.  (Read 1048 times)

Online SMacIsaac

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000LT; Wing; BMW
  • City / Town: Florida
New member, thought I'd say hello. Great forum.
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:13:55 PM »
Just registered, also just got a 1133 miles 17 Versys 1000LT from a local bike shop that took it in trade.  Just what I was looking for: I'm 64, hernia recovering, my Wing at 880 pounds curb weight was killing me.

Love the bike.  On the hard bags, they are a hassle to remove; apparently original owner never took them off.  "Light" taps on the back did the trick, open palm and a little wiggle.

Used armor all instead of WD 40, works fine.  Putting them back on is an exercise in lining up the three attachment points, took a few tries but now smooth.  They are, for sure, not coming off (having had a Givi top box exit my KLR a few years ago (my fault)) I welcome a system that makes you darn sure they're attached. 

My son, 20, is urging me to "put on any d@@@ slip on, or get an Akrapovic (sp?) and get the bike right...."
I think he's wrong.  You have to spend $400-$600 to lose nine pounds, and if it changes the throttle response or 'noise' at freeway speeds, I'm not going for it.  Any views?

Thanks, look forward to your forum!

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Re: New member, thought I'd say hello. Great forum.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:43:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by SMacIsaac [+]
Just registered, also just got a 1133 miles 17 Versys 1000LT from a local bike shop that took it in trade.  Just what I was looking for: I'm 64, hernia recovering, my Wing at 880 pounds curb weight was killing me.

Love the bike.  On the hard bags, they are a hassle to remove; apparently original owner never took them off.  "Light" taps on the back did the trick, open palm and a little wiggle.

Used armor all instead of WD 40, works fine.  Putting them back on is an exercise in lining up the three attachment points, took a few tries but now smooth.  They are, for sure, not coming off (having had a Givi top box exit my KLR a few years ago (my fault)) I welcome a system that makes you darn sure they're attached. 

My son, 20, is urging me to "put on any d@@@ slip on, or get an Akrapovic (sp?) and get the bike right...."
I think he's wrong.  You have to spend $400-$600 to lose nine pounds, and if it changes the throttle response or 'noise' at freeway speeds, I'm not going for it.  Any views?

Thanks, look forward to your forum!
Hey man, I am also new here. I wounder why ppl trade in bikes with 1,000 miles on them... ? Whats wrong with Versys 1000 that makes them do that?

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 11:32:54 PM »
No bike is right for everybody, nor is riding for everybody even though they might buy a bike and ride a while before seeing that it is just not for them. Another possibility is, buying a good bike, getting a  scare, parking it for a long stretch and then selling out of the bike and the sport.

Then there are some people who go through life blowing money on things they will never sustain an interest in, just because they can. The world is full of low-time airplanes, sports cars, expensive cameras, stereo gear bought by such folks.

A warm welcome to the list, MacIsaac.  :031:

The panniers get easier to R&R as you get used to the motions and the mounts wear in. A bit of lube is good. I was annoyed if not pissed mounting and dismounting them at first, but now it's easy. Beware there is a locking pin that can fall out leaving the locking mechanism able to open and close without turning the key. That caused me to lose a case, thankfully at low speed when it was empty, so only slight cosmetic damage. Repair is effected by going into the mechanism from inside the case.

It is not necessary to spend $5 or $600 on an exhaust can. I mounted a Dan Moto carbon fiber can that's light as a feather and like new after a couple of years. I am still delighted with it. Review below:

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18554.msg214085.html#msg214085
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:57:27 PM »
 :185:...........https://delkevic.com/complete-systems/kawasaki/2017-models/versys-1000-lt-2015-2018/   Complete systems or you can get a the can alone...
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:58:01 PM »
Welcome aboard   :031:

Your son is correct, the stock can is hideous.  Do a search, lots of info.  I got a Delkevic, excellent quality and excellent price

As far as the reason for a trade-in, perhaps the V was too tall for the owner, or maybe his wife found out he bought a bike and made him sell it
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:59:48 PM by TallyRex »

Online Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 02:37:05 AM »
 :169: ... or, how about: the rider buys a very nice bike and finances the purchase, then within a month or two he has run up thousands of dollars in speeding tickets and can't make the monthly payment. I'm sure it happens; I'm sure a professional dealer tries to ferret this guy out before selling him the bike. But some will slip through...  :015:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online SMacIsaac

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000LT; Wing; BMW
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 05:15:37 AM »

Thanks so much for the kind/prompt responses.  Will look into the aftermarket exhaust recommended.
In response to the poster who wondered why a guy would sell a bike with so few miles/whether there's something wrong with the Versys 1000, I wondered the same thing.  The guy who bought it in 6/18 traded it in for a BMW 1200 GS at a local high-end dealership (Euro Cycles, FL--great shop), said he wanted the GS in the first place, and so did it.
I bought it because the engine is bulletproof, the ergo are perfect for me (the dealership let me take a long test ride, how rare is that), and I can't push the Wing's 880 pounds around anymore.  And don't want to: I'm 64, and, let me tell you, it's a pleasure to pull in anywhere on the 1000LT and do a u-turn--always a hassle with the wing.
And, hey, to be honest: I never loaded the Wing to near capacity.  My "tours" are a couple of days, at most, and I'd rather carry a credit card than all kinds of gear. 

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Morecambe
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »
 :185:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 10:05:24 AM »
Welcome to this excellent forum MacIsaac, there is so much friendly and sound information on here and all you have to do is ask.

I'm sure you will grow to love your big Versys and maybe wonder how you ever managed without it   :mfr_lol:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2019, 03:15:28 PM »
 :185:  This is a good place to be ….its a Great motorcycle you have chosen , and probably better all around than some much more $$$$$$ bikes out there. 

Recent Topics