Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Communication system & GPS  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
Communication system & GPS
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:04:33 AM »
I’m thinking at getting some electronics to help the summer trips but I have zero knowledge about those products.
I would like a GPS or a device acting like my car’s navigation and a communication system that would allows:
- Listening to the GPS
- Talk with my passenger
- Possibly listening music (both pillion and I)

Any link that would provide basic knowledge about this?
What are the popular choices for those apparels!

Note: not interested in using my cell phone for those duties
Thanks!

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Communication system & GPS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 07:05:29 AM »
GPS options basically boil down to either Tom Tom or Garmin, I think the latest Tom Tom model is the rider 400, however I use Garmin so am not sure about Tom Tom models/specifications, I'm sure others will be along to advise.

Garmin have an extensive range of Motorcycle GPS devices, MAKE SURE YOU CHOOSE A MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC DEVICE, as they are water resistant. Prices for Garmin units vary and you will need to shop around for the best deal, if choosing a Garmin select an LM model, this means Lifetime Maps which inludes free updates on maps which works out much cheaper.

As you haven't used GPS before you will need to initially familiarise yourself with their functionality and I would suggest utilising youtube where you will find good tutorials.

Rider comms is another area that offers so much choice, personally I favour Sena SMH10 dual which although not the cheapest is very good, and is, of course, Blueooth connectable, which means no cables between rider and bike and pillion and bike, these comms systems will enable your GPS  to transmit audible instructions from your GPS device to your helmet mounted speakers as well as providing an audio link between you and your pillion. Most of these systems offer the option of linking/pairing your mobile phone, although you don't have to do this if you don't want to.

It is a somewhat baffling market at first but IMHO worth the effort

I know others will be along to help and advise.

Good luck, and keep us posted.     :002:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 08:02:26 AM »
I would start from the helmet communication system, then you can decide what to connect.

*Originally Posted by Claude [+]
Note: not interested in using my cell phone for those duties
Thanks!
Your choice, but why?
A good navi app costs $25 against $500-600 of a gps device.
Moreover, the phone is a single source for everything: music, navi instructions and phone calls.

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Vstrom 650
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:16:49 PM »
I agree with Vespista1960. Nothing like Garmin or TomTom will never get even close to a large screen SmartPhone loaded with Nav Apps. Latest phones are all waterproofed and even more, there are tons of extra waterproofed cases available out there.

I personally use Iphone plus and got caught in rain many times. Sometimes for hours in heavy rain. Never had any issues.

At the same time I always get latest real time map data. Police update ( :763: Waze) and so on. If I want to use trails, there is map for that. If I want to record my route and share it with my friends - easy! If I go to the area that does not have phone signal - easy, I use Offline may. All smartphones have GPS antenna.

Motorcycle GPS units are expensive and not user friendly. Smartphones are expensive too..  :11:, but at least I can use them for everything and since I already have one...  :756:

p.s. I also have a Garmin heavy duty portable survival GPS that I use for winter hiking/phishing or as a back up.

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Vstrom 650
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
Sorry, forgot to mention about communication device. Since all my friends use SENA, I also purchased one for ease of pairing. I watched many reviews and ended up buying SENA 20S EVO. So far, no issues for 15,000 kms... The only thing, it does not like rain. They say it is waterproofed, but in reality once it gets wet, some buttons stop working until it dries up.

Speaking of functionality of S20 unit - flawless. It can support multiple inputs at the same time, like I can talk to my friend and listen to GPS command at the same time. It will lower my friend's voice when GPS wakes up... Same with music and phone calls, although I am not a big fan of last two while riding... :)

Online Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr.ford [+]
...Smartphones are expensive too, but at least I can use them for everything and since I already have one...
That's the point. We all have a phone anyway.
No need to add other devices that do (often worse) the same thing a phone can do. I frequently ride with friends who have the BMW GPS. The app I use is definitely more friendly and easy to use.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: Vivamus inter Versys
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
My Garmin GPS  is user friendly, accurate and intuitive,  personally I prefer to use a specific GPS than my smartphone, but that's only my opinion
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
My Garmin GPS  is user friendly, accurate and intuitive,  personally I prefer to use a specific GPS than my smartphone, but that's only my opinion

Agreed..I have a Garmin 595 and love it..sure, I could use my phone, but I much prefer the GPS . To each their own though... :031:

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 09:22:48 PM »
Well, using a smart phone is a great setup for some but I do have some concerns.
Mine is relatively old (± 22 months) and I don't want to expose it to the weather/rain. I prefer to keep it (and its charged battery) for calls, SMS and emergency purpose and to use a GPS for a dedicated use. But, of course, I totally respect and like to read anyone's opinion.

I'll try to find a used GPS as I have many other expenses coming quite together (GPS bracket, communication system, 2x heated vets and gloves, rear suspension, etc.)

I'll try to make some reading about both communication and GPS.

Thanks again for every input!

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 09:25:12 PM »
Oh, one more question.
Are there some GPS or communication system that can manage MP3 files?
Would be easier that way than using a dedicated MP3 player.
Yes, I know a smart phone can do this but... :002:

Recent Topics