Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Communication system & GPS  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Communication system & GPS
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Claude [+]
Oh, one more question.
Are there some GPS or communication system that can manage MP3 files?
Would be easier that way than using a dedicated MP3 player.
Yes, I know a smart phone can do this but... :002:

Claude, I  may have just what you need.... I had this for sale last year but got no interest..I still have it...need to find it..it's in the house somewhere:)

It comes with the cradle and about 12" of wire...you will need to make the harness a bit longer if you want to run the wires back to the under seat area of the bike.( I can include more wire if needed) .I had it wired up front...hence the short harness... 

It has an 8Gb memory card already in it that can be loaded with music ..

Make an offer and it could be yours...

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,18562.msg214180.html#msg214180
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:05:22 PM by Crosshairs »

Online TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
Oh, one more question.
Are there some GPS or communication system that can manage MP3 files?
Would be easier that way than using a dedicated MP3 player.
Yes, I know a smart phone can do this but... :002:
Claude

My Garmin Zumo 346LMT-S can play MP3 files loaded onto the SD card in the GPS unit, or play MP3 files on my Bluetooth connected Moto G6 smart phone and then the GPS re-broadcast via 2nd Bluetooth channel the music to my helmet headset.  :123A:
This also applies to Spotify premium files stored in your phone when used off line or when live streaming via the smart phone.  :031:

This is all handled by the Garmin Smartphone Link App you install on your phone which also can do a lot more
See details HERE  :001:

Richard  :001:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:09:17 PM by TowerMan »
                  Details HERE  :123A:
And the on the V650 forum - www.versys.co.uk

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
I have a Garmin Zumo 660 connected to a Scala Rider G9 intercom. My phone links through the GPS and I use the second Bluetooth channel to play music or podcasts from my iPad when Ruthís not with me.

The G9 has been superseded but it still works very well at six years old so Iím not looking to change it. Although the Garmin works fine I have started to use Google Maps on my phone in the car because it can divert you if thereís a build up of traffic ahead. The GPS canít receive traffic info so youíre stuck with the route you started with.

The phone can be fitted into a pocket on my Givi ST601 tank bag but I havenít found the touch screen works well through the plastic, although itís supposed to.

I talked to a chap on the Cardo (Scala) stand at the Birmingham bike show and their latest offering claims to seamlessly link to other brands of intercom, such as the Sena. On YouTube the FortNine channel did a comparative review of the latest units from these two manufacturers that you might find useful.
Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rockdoc [+]
I have started to use Google Maps on my phone in the car because it can divert you if thereís a build up of traffic ahead. The GPS canít receive traffic info so youíre stuck with the route you started with.

On My Garmin 595, Google Maps  work seamlessly  VIA Garmins Smart link software. I can run GM on the phone and
It will change your route based on your preferences if there is a delay ahead

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/111441

Offline Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »
Iím currently hesitating between a Garmin Zumo 660LM and a Zumo 395LM.

As for the intercom, Iím heavily thinking at a Sena 20S.

What I want is:
- using the GPS and hearing the voice through the intercom speakers
- discuting with my pillion
- listening to MP3 music stored in the GPS

Does the apparels above will do that?

Opinions for those in the knowing please...

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 04:26:05 AM »
Garmin or TomTom will be a great choice. Personally I use a several-year-old Garmin Nuvi with no complaints. I don't ride voluntarily in bad weather, but do get caught in it on long trips. I slip a baggie over the GPS and it's waterproof! The dedicated M/C units are great if money is not a consideration.

I'd buy a used Nuvi (rather than a dedicated M/C GPS) and use the savings towards a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet!

I have a Sena SMH10 and a Sena 20S. The 10 is a bomb-proof workhorse but the 20 has more features, longer range, better sound, better volume, etc. Hands down the 20 is a nicer unit.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 08:12:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
Garmin or TomTom will be a great choice. Personally I use a several-year-old Garmin Nuvi with no complaints. I don't ride voluntarily in bad weather, but do get caught in it on long trips. I slip a baggie over the GPS and it's waterproof! The dedicated M/C units are great if money is not a consideration.

I'd buy a used Nuvi (rather than a dedicated M/C GPS) and use the savings towards a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet!

I have a Sena SMH10 and a Sena 20S. The 10 is a bomb-proof workhorse but the 20 has more features, longer range, better sound, better volume, etc. Hands down the 20 is a nicer unit.

:762:   We have used a SENA SMH10 DUAL for a good few years now, during which time I have had to replace a headset/speaker and also an intercom/battery due to it falling off the helmet mounting .... it was an expensive part to replace, but its loss was entirely due to it becoming loose on its attachment.

There is a new SMH 30K which is the latest generation featuring Mesh intercom connectivity (for group functionality), apparently it is outstanding but for me too expensive at £420.00 GBP  :5: 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 08:19:41 AM by TYKE »
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Yox

• Versys God
  • Bike: V 1000
  • City / Town: Heathfield
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »
Iím currently hesitating between a Garmin Zumo 660LM and a Zumo 395LM.

As for the intercom, Iím heavily thinking at a Sena 20S.

What I want is:
- using the GPS and hearing the voice through the intercom speakers
- discuting with my pillion
- listening to MP3 music stored in the GPS

Does the apparels above will do that?

Opinions for those in the knowing please...

I would go for the 395LM as the 660 is an older model. I used to have a 660 and now have a 590 which has a clearer screen and is easier to read in sunlight. I strongly suspect the 395 will be the same.
The headsets will allow you to converse and have the GPS. The GPS will take priority and interrupt your conversation or music.
I find the quality of music via the garmin isn't as good as streaming from the phone direct so I have the GPS on channel 1 and my phone connected on channel 2. I can control all the music functions via the headset (skip track, repeat, play and pause).
Those that live by the sword get shot by those that don't.

Offline sprocket

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 16 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Winter Haven FL.
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 05:00:10 AM »
The 395LM  does not have the MP3 player the 660 and 595 do and the last time I checked for a GPS replacement the Tom Tom did not have MP3 player. I am using the 660 with Sena 20s and like them both and use GPS MP3 player. I have been in rains for all day many times with no problems. I will upgrade to the 595LM when I can find one at a good price the 660 is getting old and once fell off the bike onto the road at 35 mph but still working.   

Offline Rockdoc

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2018 V1k GT
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
On My Garmin 595, Google Maps  work seamlessly  VIA Garmins Smart link software. I can run GM on the phone and
It will change your route based on your preferences if there is a delay ahead

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/111441
When new you could buy a receiver to plug into the cabling powering it from the bike but it wasn't a cheap option and required an annual subscription. At the time I wasn't convinced of the need. Even now that I know it can be useful I'd struggle to justify the expense for the mileage I do now that I'm retired.

Keith
2018 Candy Fire Red/Metallic Flat Spark Black GT.
Where do they get the names for these colours?

Recent Topics