Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Cleaner  (Read 1670 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Fuel Cleaner
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 12:53:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by TallyRex [+]
Neither I nor any of my riding buddies have ever had a problem with 10% ethanol

and you more than likely never will.

Like I said earlier, in my state, ethanol blend  is the only fuel available, and has been the only fuel available for at least the last 15 years.... and no one I know has ever had a problem....and if thats not enough, I work in a dealership that services probably 80-100  vehicles a day, and I can not recall one single instance of an ethanol related problem .

for small equipment, buy a quality stabilizer if your storing your fuel...otherwise, ride more and worry less .

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 01:13:17 PM »
I have used ethanol in my carbd 03ZRX for 15 years and have not had any problems.  Other's experience may differ

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:18 PM »
in India I don't even know what they put into their fuel.  Luckily in Thailand I can get pure fuel. 

It is not about having 'problems' with ethanol fuel mix, it is about the fact that it is generally not good for the engine, and if you do not ride for a period of time, this will cause rapid fuel deterioration and create pockets of water in the tank. 

The problems ethanol causes are more of a subtle nature, so no one identifies them.  how could they identify them?? unless in extreme situation when the system is clogged or they cannot start the bike due to having water in the system.

Of course, the modern bikes can handle it, because they are designed 'not to run on it' as some falsely assume, but to 'cope with it';  still just an inferior fuel. 

i personally prefer to take ethanol internally, mostly by drinking beer :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:25:34 PM by kris »

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
I agree with your above statement Kris and would prefer non ethanol.  I ride the ZRX at least 20 miles a week to keep things running smooth.

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »
Here is my 2 cents.. I do know that its preferably not to put ethanol in your bike. Therefore I only buy North American 91 octane fuel (equivalent to 98 octane Europe I think) that states that it does not contain ethanol. There is a map somewhere online that lists all the gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel. In my area I have many gas stations that sell 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

If I travel to US and there is no ethanol free fuel I don't panic - just buy what's available. Same with trips to North Quebec...

I have a biking buddy who refuses to put anything but 87 octane in his bike and has never had problems in the past many many years.

To summarise, I do buy Japanese bikes for their reliability and I never had any issues with them so far. Like NONE!
Do I need to loose my sleep over ethanol - I don't think so...

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 07:50:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr.ford [+]
There is a map somewhere online that lists all the gas stations that sell ethanol free fuel. In my area I have many gas stations that sell 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

This site is probably what your referring to

https://www.pure-gas.org/

they also have an app for your apple or Android device.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2019, 01:43:56 AM »
especially, during winter storage, or if the bike is not used for more than one month, it is worthy to fill the tank with pure gasoline, or else the petrol deteriorates.  i also add fuel stabiliser.

Offline kris

• Versys Pro
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
and what about the fuel cleaners?  do they really work?  i add occasionally Techron fuel injector cleaner, just in case. 

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
Techron is good  stuff.  Better than Sea Foam as it leaves no residue.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
I put 1 fluid oz. of acetone in every tank. That maintains near sterile cleanliness in the fuel system and engine, and the exhaust pipe passes the while glove test... no carbon, no white dusty crap makes it that far. Combustion is complete, every BTU of energy is consumed.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Recent Topics