Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 4079 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bhoppy [+]
I will offer my thoughts on this topic. I own a hearing clinic and fit many custom ear plugs, hearing aids, monitors etc. I personally ONLY wear the foam plugs. I have tried custom plugs and after awhile riding the ear will get slightly sore. The foam plugs are softer easy to insert correctly and will not cause any pain after a long ride with the helmet against your ear. There are many types available and can be sourced from any safety supply store. Most will offer enough attenuation for motorcycle riding as long as they are inserted correctly. They are also much cheaper than a custom pair and if you loose one or both who cares since they are cheap and disposable just put in a new pair. I have had a few motorcycle enthusiasts come in for custom plugs and although it isn't good for sales I tend to direct them to the nearest safety supply store for disposable foam plugs inless they really feel they want custom plugs.

Great information from an expert.... I have heard similar observations before, and maybe that is why I haven't invested in some custom made plugs..... maybe I won't now

Thanks for the info Bhoppy  :2:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline JohnRS

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Hebburn
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
That's an interesting insight from (I assume) an audiologist. I could never get foam's to stay in, with either plugs or IEM tips which was the reason i went custom.
I've used mine for several hours and within 20 minutes forget they're in so never experienced fatigue, a bit of hearing aid lube helps.

Flare audio sell foam tipped plugs but they're pricey. They do look pretty slick though. https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/isolate
Their IEM's are top notch so if these are anything to go by the plugs should be decent.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
My tips are

1 If you have different size ear canals (I have) use different sized foam plugs got each ear.

2 A little lubrication also helps the plugs go in much easier. Either a few drops of olive oil or a smear of antiseptic cream around the ear before each ride. I keep a very small tube of antiseptic cream on the bike.

Ride magazine has a test on ear plugs now.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »
Following the good advice from Bhoppy, I have been using foam plugs for the last couple of weeks, and so have set aside my Peltor corded plugs which TBH were hurting my ear

The foam plugs are easy to insert they provide good attenuation and are cheap to purchase................  result  :028:   

Roger (Rog)

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 11:19:45 AM »
Been using 33db foamies for many years.  I buy them in a 100 pair jar at a chain drug store and I won't ride the bike w/o them. The key is inserting them fully

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 04:45:21 PM »
I've not used ear plugs before mainly because I assumed i wouldn't be able to hear the intercom speakers, is that an issue? I've got a Senna Smh 5 intercom

Offline doboy

• Versys Pro
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 05:32:51 PM »
I use earplugs & have a senna connected to my GPS on holidays .. I have the sound set at highest volume & can hear it with no problems.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 06:37:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ditchburn12 [+]
I've not used ear plugs before mainly because I assumed i wouldn't be able to hear the intercom speakers, is that an issue? I've got a Senna Smh 5 intercom

Like doboy says, you should be able to hear the commands from your GPS without any problem    :169:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »
In my experience (MC riding, flying airplanes, playing loud music, mowing, firing guns -- I guess I have done everything possible to cause hearing damage :015: --), ear plugs, even fully inserted foam plugs, do not reduce the ability to hear traffic sounds and their direction. Why? Because harmful background noise and the sounds that you want to hear are reduced equally. Unless it is a mouse fart, if you can hear it without plugs you can still hear most of it with plugs. Everything is just at a lower level with high frequencies reduced the most. Plugs do, however, create a lower threshold below which you can't hear anything.

With or without plugs, I am convinced that listening to music while riding, driving a car or simply walking, does mask a lot of sounds you need to hear for safety. So I don't do it.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Online TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

With or without plugs, I am convinced that listening to music while riding, driving a car or simply walking, does mask a lot of sounds you need to hear for safety. So I don't do it.

It also reduces your focus on the road and traffic.

Recent Topics