Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 3272 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bhoppy [+]
I will offer my thoughts on this topic. I own a hearing clinic and fit many custom ear plugs, hearing aids, monitors etc. I personally ONLY wear the foam plugs. I have tried custom plugs and after awhile riding the ear will get slightly sore. The foam plugs are softer easy to insert correctly and will not cause any pain after a long ride with the helmet against your ear. There are many types available and can be sourced from any safety supply store. Most will offer enough attenuation for motorcycle riding as long as they are inserted correctly. They are also much cheaper than a custom pair and if you loose one or both who cares since they are cheap and disposable just put in a new pair. I have had a few motorcycle enthusiasts come in for custom plugs and although it isn't good for sales I tend to direct them to the nearest safety supply store for disposable foam plugs inless they really feel they want custom plugs.

Great information from an expert.... I have heard similar observations before, and maybe that is why I haven't invested in some custom made plugs..... maybe I won't now

Thanks for the info Bhoppy  :2:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline JohnRS

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Hebburn
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
That's an interesting insight from (I assume) an audiologist. I could never get foam's to stay in, with either plugs or IEM tips which was the reason i went custom.
I've used mine for several hours and within 20 minutes forget they're in so never experienced fatigue, a bit of hearing aid lube helps.

Flare audio sell foam tipped plugs but they're pricey. They do look pretty slick though. https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/isolate
Their IEM's are top notch so if these are anything to go by the plugs should be decent.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 11:11:21 PM »
My tips are

1 If you have different size ear canals (I have) use different sized foam plugs got each ear.

2 A little lubrication also helps the plugs go in much easier. Either a few drops of olive oil or a smear of antiseptic cream around the ear before each ride. I keep a very small tube of antiseptic cream on the bike.

Ride magazine has a test on ear plugs now.

Recent Topics