Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Raise front forks?  (Read 556 times)

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 02' FZ1 and 18' V1
  • City / Town: Mechanicsville
Raise front forks?
« on: February 02, 2019, 06:18:41 PM »
Hello all,
I've done a search. But could not find a lot on this. I do see where some have raised their forks in the triple clamps. But I want to know what kind of results this has yielded, and are most happy with it.
 I have a new 2018...only have about 650 miles so far. It's been cold and wet here.
I'm thinking of raising the forks 10mm in the triples. I did this on my first gen FZ1 back when new, to quicken steering(6mm).
On the V1, I'm not looking for quicker steering really. But more front end "feel". The front feels a bit vague to me.
Or, could this be more an issue with the OEM tires(T30's)? Should I wait until I burn through the OEM tires, and try a different model tire before deciding to raise the forks?
 BTW, I do have the sag set for my geared up weight, etc.

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
Re: Raise front forks?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
  wow, no one.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 12:44:15 PM »
I had initially raised mine 15mm and was very happy..later on when I had my forks done  they just shortened  them internally  by 15mm so its the same result in the end...for me the bike steers very well, but I prefer a bike that borders on nervous...as far as the tires go, again, I hated them and took them off when the bike had about 200 miles on it.....other people seem to get along fine with them, but I would bet money that if your a rider that pushes the bike , they wont work at all for you

TLDR: if you just want more feel, ditch those tires

Offline TNGW1500SE

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Oliver Springs, TN
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:28:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Iceman63 [+]
.....On the V1, I'm not looking for quicker steering really. But more front end "feel". The front feels a bit vague to me.

Play with your tire pressure. Pump it up a couple of pounds.
"The feeling of the wind in your face will lift your heart." Phil Collins / On My Way

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 05:45:41 PM »
I dropped my yokes a few mm with no negative issues, the only tricky bit is getting to the top clamp bolts....especially with a torque wrench.

Offline Iceman63

• Versys Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, the forks on my FZ1 are raised 6mm. But I wanted quicker steering. I don't know that 6mm made that much of a difference. But on that bike, not as much room to play with. Still a very stable. slower steering(than the V1) bike.
 For the V1, just looking for more feel up front. Not quicker steering. Im running my tire pressures close to recommended; 36 front, and around 39 to 40 in back. I'll probably wait to see what a different set of tires will do. The V1 with it's longer travel suspension, taller handlebar risers, maybe it's just the nature of this bike.
 I'm definitely use to being a little more over the front tire on previous bikes.

Offline Bart

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: West Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
Many of us were/are not very impressed with the stock tyres, the "normal" T30's are better but there are many many options for our bike....threads on tyres, screens and oil are endless..   

Recent Topics