Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New Versys Rider -- want opinionated opinions about Puig/Givi  (Read 1341 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: New Versys Rider -- want opinionated opinions about Puig/Givi
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
 :762:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline SMacIsaac

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000LT; Wing; BMW
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 08:55:17 PM »
This is such a great forum.  I'm still not decided, but have a lot more data.   Thanks so much for info on madstad and Puig. 

The madstad appeals to me because it's basically a fairing, but it is not, what's the word? aesthetic.  The puig has great reviews (the majority of which tout its 'just put it on' and 'much better than stock' features, without claiming it will stop all rain, give you a tailwind on demand, make your girlfriend happy and book a Hampton Inn for you depending on the humidity.  Basically they say:  "it is what it is..much better than stock").  One advantage of the Puig is that the good folks at Cycle Gear (where I've bought a lot of their private label stuff are 100% rock solid:  "you don't like it, bring it back, it's our job to make it right with something else or you get your money back.")  I bought a Torrent (sp?) 40L duffel from them for like 70 dollars or something, came in two days, free shipping.  Was at the local BMW/Duke/Aprilia/Moto Guzzi/MV shop this AM for some parts and  tuff and saw THE SAME, EXACTLY THE SAME duffel (you can't mistake it for anything else, it's tarp material, heat welded) for $265!!!!!!!  By my count each BMW roundel added about 70 dollars to the price.  I love BMWs.  I have a '71 airhead, owned two R90s, and a 100RS (shook too much for the marginal increase over the 90's fun factor.  Love 'em, but I'm not making $300K a year anymore, and never will :002: :002

Back to reality.  I'm still going to swing by Madstad, see what the guys there say, look at their facility.  But now maybe the Puig is pulling ahead.  It has several inches up and a few over on stock, and doesn't look lousy. 
That being said, the UGLIEST aspect on the Versys is the backside of the fairing mount bracket, which you have to stare at all day, wondering why they didn't do a plastic dzus snap on vanity cover for it in matte black. 

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 10:03:48 PM »
Sir, you have yet to realize the amazing features of the Givi Airflow screen...  :007:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 05:58:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
Sir, you have yet to realize the amazing features of the Givi Airflow screen...  :007:

This is true  :169:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 02:19:19 AM »
I've been using the Puig for about a year on my  '17 model and have no complaints. Realistically, I have never held this sport/touring windshield to Gold Wing standards, so it did not disappoint me, and it's much better than the stock unit.

Maybe Madstad is better...I've never had one.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline SMacIsaac

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 1000LT; Wing; BMW
  • City / Town: Florida
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:57 AM »
I think you are right, and I've been over thinking it.  Puig it is, through cycle gear.  I'll still toot out to Madstad to see their facility, they are very nice over the phone.  Years ago, after I bought my first Deltran battery tender I stopped by their facility in Deland, Fl., saw their shop, said I wanted to get another small one for a new bike, the engineer doing the tour gave me a "second" or "return" unit, which I'm still using. 

Offline Oldplodder

• Versys God
  • Knows bugger all
  • Bike: V1K Mk1-GL1800 '13
  • City / Town: Buckley
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
My vote goes to the Givi Airflow. Had one since I bought thisw bike and seen no reason to change it.

Not so barn door as my Goldwing screen but much better than most screens I've had on other bikes.

Dave T
Lord, Please make me into the person my dog thinks I am.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 12:40:12 PM »
The Givi Airflow is considered ugly by some, it isn't the prettiest but IMHO it looks OK on the generation 2 Versys 1000, It is a very efficient and effective screen with adjustment options on each of the two part screens.... this picture might help you decide

Roger (Rog)

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »
Form follows function, If it works, it's beautiful. 

Tyke, That GIVI Airflow actually resembles a Madstad setup at 1st glance, one of their original universal shields maybe... I can see why people would like that one too.   

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by SMacIsaac [+]
I think you are right, and I've been over thinking it.  Puig it is, through cycle gear.  I'll still toot out to Madstad to see their facility, they are very nice over the phone.  Years ago, after I bought my first Deltran battery tender I stopped by their facility in Deland, Fl., saw their shop, said I wanted to get another small one for a new bike, the engineer doing the tour gave me a "second" or "return" unit, which I'm still using.

FWIW, Madstad also has a 30 day return policy,,,   and 4 different heights to choose from.

Recent Topics

waggish