Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: nc 500  (Read 443 times)

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000
  • City / Town: mansfield
nc 500
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:09:52 PM »
hi has anyone done the north coast 500 route.were intending to do it beginning start of September.were setting off from fort William instead of inverness although the route from inverness ive done a few times to top of applecross pass. any info would be great if anyone has done it but ill make a full report on it when im back.a friend of mine has done it in car and recommended it and if weather takes a turn for worse I may do it in car myself.apologies if ive posted it in wrong place

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Re: nc 500
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »
The last guy to do that ride never came back to report. His dried skeleton was later found, completely consumed by midges, which were found by the millions on the ground around him, themselves killed by alcohol poisoning when they bit him.  :5: :015:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Yox

• Versys God
  • Bike: V 1000
  • City / Town: Heathfield
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:11:49 PM »
I have done it and it's a good ride, very scenic. However it's success has drawn up a few issues that I noted 1) being it's a good idea to book your stopovers whether that be camping or hotels/B&B's as they were all full when I went (I'd booked) as there isn't enough beds for the demand. 2) Some of the route is single track with passing places and you can get stuck behind camper vans for a long time unless they are nice and let you pass.
Other than that, do it, you won't regret it whether it's rain or shine, take pics,stop and enjoy it  :028:
Those that live by the sword get shot by those that don't.

Offline powerfulpete

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 versys 1000
  • City / Town: mansfield
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 09:28:19 PM »
all the stopovers are already booked yox as ive already read it get busy and wife needs a gallon of midge repellent they don't bother me or if they do I think they die

Offline Yox

• Versys God
  • Bike: V 1000
  • City / Town: Heathfield
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 03:50:50 PM »
it was raining too much for the midges when we went. Still a good ride  :028: look forward to a trip report with piccies  :002:
Those that live by the sword get shot by those that don't.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
There are videos of folks running the NC500. Here's one of a couple of lads valiantly trying not to get lost.  :002:

G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
This one is fun -- nice camera work.

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 V1K black
  • City / Town: Tilburg
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 07:43:03 PM »
I did it last September (and added a trip to the Isle of Skye to it) and it's an absolute blast! We didn't have many midges in the five days we were there, except for one stop. There they were all over us, but you just keep your helmet on until inside  :152:.

We didn't book any sleeping place in advance by the way, but then again: we camped in the wild and the wild is never full. We did check out places to sleep beforehand using Google Earth though, and that way we found some terrific spots.

Since you're going in September also, don't worry about the camper vans. You won't encounter many of them that time of year.

DO make sure you fill your bike up more often than you're used to! Petrol stations are few and working petrol stations even fewer. And working petrol stations that also accept your credit card, are the fewest  :124:.

Enjoy!

Offline big mike

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys1000
  • City / Town: Macduff
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
Done it quiet a few times (live relatively close)
Very very expensive now with alla reas taking the piss,
Roads west coast are breathtaking, east nice but not quiet so nice,
Don't go all the way to Inverness, cut off at Invergarry and head towards Skye, take the road over to Lochcarron ( basically the bottom of the road to applecross) and visit Plockton ( palm trees in Scotland is raaaare)
But in all honesty it is a great trip

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »
I’ve done it anti clockwise in May and never saw a midge or any rain. Stunning scenery and hardly any any cars at that time of year. Drivers were generally bike conscious and let you past. Some good distillerys to sample. There are also some fine roads through Northumberland on the way rather than use the motorway.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:16:37 AM by Ditchburn12 »

Recent Topics