Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Top Box Lock Lubricant  (Read 363 times)

Offline JohnRS

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Hebburn
Top Box Lock Lubricant
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
What do you use to lube your top box lock?
Mine is getting harder and harder to get the key in and a quick Google says not to use WD-40 and use a dry graphite type lube, but I was thinking it gets wet so dry graphite would turn to wet graphite and cause similar problems  :027:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Top Box Lock Lubricant
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
I use a silicon lubricant John.... any aerosol type will do, Halfords sell it

Your comments about wet and graphite powder lock lubricants is true.... you can use one or the other but not both   :028:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline JohnRS

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Hebburn
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
 :763: Thanks TYKE - I have some aerosol silicon Lube so i'll lube it up tonight. I wonder if I could use some wet chain lube I have for my push bike, it's silicon based and lasts ages on the chain.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by JohnRS [+]
:763: Thanks TYKE - I have some aerosol silicon Lube so i'll lube it up tonight. I wonder if I could use some wet chain lube I have for my push bike, it's silicon based and lasts ages on the chain.

Oooh I don't know, I'm not familiar with that product

The silicone lubricant I have used in the past is Silslide which was given to me by a guy who installed vertical blinds, he used it to lubricate the runners of the blinds, but I don't think it is any different from the Halfords product which I have also used.... BTW I use the same product on the top box and pannier hinges, and have even smeared a drop onto the rubber box/pannier seals  :028:  BTW silicone lubricate is water repellent 

I just checked the availability of Silslide and it appears that it's no longer available.....if you check for yourself be careful to spell the product name accurately as miss- spelling will result in something VERY different  :745:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
I just checked the availability of Silslide and it appears that it's no longer available....

Did not look hard enough  :138:

https://www.silmid.com/lubricants/ptfe-lubricants/arrow-a087-silslide-nsf-600ml-aerosol/

Richard  :001:
                  Details HERE  :123A:
And the on the V650 forum - www.versys.co.uk

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:27:45 PM »
FWIW, Friend who used to work for a safe company advised me to never use graphite in a lock, especially one with brass tumblers as the graphite particles are harder than the brass and maybe the steel in less expensive locks. 

Figured I'd use some DriSlide. Works fine on my Tools.

https://www.drislide.com/

Recent Topics