Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stuck oil filter  (Read 1038 times)

Offline weljo2001

• Versys God
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000LT
  • City / Town: Norwalk,CA
Re: Stuck oil filter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 06:33:24 PM »
Yep, I had to take a screw driver to the filter that came on my V-1K.....

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr

I've been using this PCS-1 Re-Usable Filter since 2010 on my last 3 bikes. The nut on it make it super easy to get on and off....

First Oil Change 600 miles by weljo2001, on Flickr
I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sir Rupert [+]
Be careful with the screwdriver method: some bikes used to have (still have?) a tube cast as part of the crankcase which projects quite some distance inside the filter.  :760:

As I recall, the oil filter pipe protrudes a short distance past the gasket face, only enough to engage an O-ring on the perforated central tube in the filter. If the screwdriver isn't put through right up against the bottom inch of the filter it won't hit it. Examining the service manual, the filter pipe is a separate part on the V1K, not cast into the crankcase. That's a smart feature.  :028:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 06:49:50 PM by Sonny »
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline hobzinho

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1k '16
  • City / Town: N. CA
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sir Rupert [+]
Glad you got it sorted  :152:

Be careful with the screwdriver method: some bikes used to have (still have?) a tube cast as part of the crankcase which projects quite some distance inside the filter. Several folks have found themselves with a VERY expensive repair bill after they accidentally smashed this tube off when removing the filter with a screwdriver :760:

I don't know whether this applies to the Versys  :027: Can't tell from the parts diagram. Can you tell us Hobzinho?

No tube on the Versys, but I can now say that the screwdriver method should be an absolute last resort. It created a mess, didn't work anyway, and just made it harder to get the  :172: thing off.

Offline Ray01

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2017 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Sidney
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »
I always make sure to put oil on the oil filter gasket before installing it.. This way it doesn't stick to the engine on removal.

Online Kawafour

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Jacksonville Florida
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
Take a new filter to an auto parts store. Buy an oil filter removal cap tool by testing for fit. Mine cost $5 at Advance Auto Parts. Torque the filter with the O ring lubricated using the cap tool with a torque wrench to the factory spec. of 17 N-m or 13 ft-lb. Using the cap tool, removal is quick and easy with a 3/8 ratchet. 

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 12:20:49 AM »

Cup type oil filter remover

Using same oil filter as Joseph (Weljo). Clean it every 5K km during oil change.
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Recent Topics

waggish