Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gas Mileage Thoughts  (Read 1018 times)

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
Re: Gas Mileage Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 10:59:24 AM »
The only time I worry about gas mileage is when the guage starts blinking.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 06:09:52 PM »
I'm watching the TFT gauge on my 2019 bike to see if it is any more accurate than my 2017 model..... so far it's difficult to tell, after filling up I covered 120 miles and the gauge hasn't moved at all  :notsure:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
I presume you are still riding it with the cut up plastics until the new parts get in?

Your close shave reminded me of a guy who bought a new GTR1400 from my local shop a couple of years back... he had I think 60 miles on it when a wooden cargo pallet came off the back of  a flatbed truck he was following too closely on the freeway, it tore up purt near the whole front of the bike -- body work, front fender, headlamps, windscreen -- but didn't hurt the rider and he kept the bike upright and got to the side of the road, albeit in shock I am sure. The Connie was definitely not rideable afterwards.

It was different from your incident in that the guy freely admitted it was his fault; he was way too close behind the truck to take evasive action. If that heavy flying pallet had hit the driver and not the bike he would likely no longer be with us. His repair cost was in the thousands on a brand new bike. But I'll bet the experience cured him of tailgating.  :003:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 07:03:57 PM »
Yeah, it's perfectly rideable Sonny, I had planned to visit my dealers this afternoon for him to closely inspect the bike and order the required parts, but something cropped up here so I have had to re-arrange my visit for Thursday morning

I will probably just pay for the parts myself as it will work out easier than claiming, plus my insurance excess is 250.00.  (that is assuming they aren't going to be massively expensive)   :goggle:   

The other concern I have is, will the parts I need be available  :question:   as its a new bike with different bodywork to its predecessors  :notsure:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 07:14:03 PM »
Well hopefully there will be parts available, but they'll have to be ordered and it'll probably take some time. That's good that the bike is rideable in the meantime.
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

It was different from your incident in that the guy freely admitted it was his fault; he was way too close behind the truck to take evasive action. :003:

Not the rider's fault. The pallet should have been secured - however, I agree 100% about the tailgating.  You gotta constantly look for potential trouble spots and be in a position to take appropriate action

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
My attitude is, other drivers, road conditions, and blind fate create accident formations all the time. If I crash because I didn't anticipate and respond, it's my fault.

If I get struck from behind by a falling meteorite, y'all can let me off the hook. But otherwise, whatever happens is on me. That seems like the most reasonable way to approach things.  :107:

With some weird crash situations, you might as well go way back in time and admit it's your fault for deciding to ride a bike in the first place and not a cage...  :lostit:

Online Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »
Defensive riding for me is key ….I have noticed that heavy traffic for the most part usually consists of groups or knots of vehicles either speeding or locked in behind slower vehicles .

I avoid this by riding in the light traffic free zone before these knots of congestion, your speed is matched with there's but you follow at a safe distance from the crowd ahead .
I have seen from a safe distance some pretty horrific antics ahead that I could have been part of if I chose to play with the crowd.

I also find that I still make decent time and are much more relaxed when days end.

I do this on any road when possible , watch your speed and keep to yourself alone as much as possible .ride your own ride . :007:

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
Yeah. Distance and attentiveness = reaction time.  :028:

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 12:45:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Yeah, it's perfectly rideable Sonny, I had planned to visit my dealers this afternoon for him to closely inspect the bike and order the required parts, but something cropped up here so I have had to re-arrange my visit for Thursday morning

I will probably just pay for the parts myself as it will work out easier than claiming, plus my insurance excess is 250.00.  (that is assuming they aren't going to be massively expensive)   :goggle:   

The other concern I have is, will the parts I need be available  :question:   as its a new bike with different bodywork to its predecessors  :notsure:   

You would also have to declare the non fault claim for the next five years. This could work out more expensive as it will affect your insurance for the next five years.
Just have o weight it up when you find out the price for the new bits
What if the whole world farted at once?

Recent Topics