Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cleaning the bike with S100: what's aluminium?  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 V1K black
  • City / Town: Tilburg
Cleaning the bike with S100: what's aluminium?
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
After several reviews, I bought a bottle of S100 bike cleaner today. Ready to spray it on, I noticed a warning not to use it on unlacquered aluminium.

Now I'm not sure: which parts on our beloved Versys are made of unlacquered aluminium? The exhaust pipes maybe, or the muffler? Or... nothing (which would mean I can spray it on everything?)

Thanks!  :763:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Cleaning the bike with S100: what's aluminium?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
I would have thought quite a few parts would be un-lacquered, gear shift lever and rear brake lever for example
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
Yes, but... are they made of aluminium (or aluminum, for our other-side-of-the-pond-friends  :2:), or steel?

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 06:11:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Joeri999 [+]
Yes, but... are they made of aluminium (or aluminum, for our other-side-of-the-pond-friends  :2:), or steel?

aluminum is  munimula  spelled backwards :002:

lots of bits and pieces on your Versys are aluminum .

S100 will leave ..water like marks /stains.. on raw aluminum (unlacquered ) 

Aluminum is a non ferrous metal so to check for it ..use a magnet,  it will not stick to aluminum.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:27:54 PM by Keener »

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 09:44:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]

aluminum is  munimula  spelled backwards :002:

lots of bits and pieces on your Versys are aluminum .

S100 will leave ..water like marks /stains.. on raw aluminum (unlacquered ) 

Aluminum is a non ferrous metal so to check for it ..use a magnet,  it will not stick to aluminum.

Thanks! I'll use the magnet trick, sounds logical. It seemed S100 finally was something that was useful for cleaning the bike, but if it eats into the aluminium it seems to not be after all. Let's check for it and if indeed things like the exhaust pipes are aluminium, I'm going to return the bottle.

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Well, I just checked. The exhaust pipes are un-lacquered aluminium, so are the passenger footsteps and many other little pieces. The muffler is stainless steel.

Too much aluminium for me to spray with something that eats it, so this bottle of S100 is going straight back to the store.  :151:

Offline Keener

• Versys Master
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 10:08:13 PM »
Thanks! I'll use the magnet trick, sounds logical. It seemed S100 finally was something that was useful for cleaning the bike, but if it eats into the aluminium it seems to not be after all. Let's check for it and if indeed things like the exhaust pipes are aluminium, I'm going to return the bottle.

Your exhaust pipes are Stainless Steel   , Stainless Steel is not attracted to a magnet as well... this depends on the grade of Stainless you may feel a slight pull if the Stainless Steel has less nickel in it .there are different grades of Stainless Steel ..
S100  should be ok for cleaning SS but their are better products for that , do a search here on site  .

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »
A liquid car washing detergent with some carnauba wax in it works on everything. I use Turtle Wax brand. A dollop of it in a pail with maybe 1/2 gallon of water, a soft brush and a rag to get it into tight spaces, rinse it off, ride the bike to blow dry or use a leaf blower, done.

I prefer a short ride after a wash in order to steam off any water or soap inadvertently gotten down the exhaust pipe.  :31:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline Vespista1960

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 SE 2019
  • City / Town: Milano
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
The cranckcase is made of aluminium (or not?  :notsure:) an is unlaquered.
Many motorcycles engines are made like this so I'm suprised that a cleaner specific for bikes can be really aggressive with aluminuim.

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 12:08:06 PM »
Well, I just checked. The exhaust pipes are un-lacquered aluminium, so are the passenger footsteps and many other little pieces. The muffler is stainless steel.

Too much aluminium for me to spray with something that eats it, so this bottle of S100 is going straight back to the store.  :151:

Just an FYI, I have been cleaning my 2016 Versys with S100 for 2 years and there is not a single spot or mark anywhere on the bike.
I've also used it on other bikes for over 6 years with the same results..... spray it on, scrub the really dirty spots with a soft brush and hose it off.... but  this is my experience, yours may differ....

Recent Topics