Author Topic: Cleaning the bike with S100: what's aluminium?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: STOLEN '17 V1K black
  • City / Town: Tilburg
Re: Cleaning the bike with S100: what's aluminium?
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 07:52:12 PM
*Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
Just an FYI, I have been cleaning my 2016 Versys with S100 for 2 years and there is not a single spot or mark anywhere on the bike.
I've also used it on other bikes for over 6 years with the same results..... spray it on, scrub the really dirty spots with a soft brush and hose it off.... but  this is my experience, yours may differ....

Hey thanks Crosshairs, in that case: let's spray it on!  :763:

Offline stillsteamn

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys1K, Kymco S250
  • City / Town: Bloomington, MN
Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 03:52:25 PM
I've also been using S100 for years on my Victory with no ill effect on any types of surfaces, as far as I've noticed.  I suspect it would only be a problem on raw aluminum if you did not rinse it off well after cleaning.  IMHO S100 works very well, I like it and I plan to use it on the V1000.  I also used the S100 Engine Brightener to restore the blackness to the black power-coated engine parts that started to gray out on the Victory, and that stuff works.
Corbin seat, Puig windshield, windshield gps bracket, Tak-Lok throttle lock, Grip Puppies, Puig fender extender, Kawi 12V socket

Offline Kawafour

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Jacksonville Florida
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 10:25:56 AM
I am surprised nobody mentioned that S100 has been reported for decades to damage the paint on BMW engines . A quick google search found items like this:

" BMW says not to use S100 on their bikes?
I have just taken ownership of a 1991 K75s which needs some serious cleaning, especially under the tank. But....The Clymer manual has this to say: (page 31)

" BMW has determined that the use of S100 Total Cycle Cleaner may damage or even remove the electrolyte-dip matte black from components of the bike. The includes both engine and frame components. If your bike is still under warranty BMW will not cover any damage caused by using this cleaner. ""

I have never used S100, but I have read in magazines (in the days before the internet), of numerous accounts of BMW paint damage from use of the product.   

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 11:44:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Kawafour [+]
I am surprised nobody mentioned that S100 has been reported for decades to damage the paint on BMW engines . A quick google search found items like this:

" BMW says not to use S100 on their bikes?
I have just taken ownership of a 1991 K75s which needs some serious cleaning, especially under the tank. But....The Clymer manual has this to say: (page 31)

" BMW has determined that the use of S100 Total Cycle Cleaner may damage or even remove the electrolyte-dip matte black from components of the bike. The includes both engine and frame components. If your bike is still under warranty BMW will not cover any damage caused by using this cleaner. ""

I have never used S100, but I have read in magazines (in the days before the internet), of numerous accounts of BMW paint damage from use of the product.

That sounds like  BMW problem , and not an S100 problem... I've used it for years on Kawasakis, Triumphs Harleys and Suzukis....and Im still using it today on all my bikes cars,lawnmowers and anything else I want to get clean.... never once has it caused even the slightest bit of damage to any surface.

EDIT: I left out Honda.....cleaned my Honda dirt bike for 3 years with it...yep you guessed it...no damage...
Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:45:45 AM by Crosshairs

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:48:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

I prefer a short ride after a wash in order to steam off any water or soap inadvertently gotten down the exhaust pipe.  :31:

I stop any water going down there by putting bungs in the exhaust pipes before I wash the bike. I find that a stopper from a port bottle works well in the upper, small hole whilst for the larger one, a champagne cork.

The vital thing to remember Sonny (other than removing them once you've finished, of course) is that it is very bad luck indeed to use the same corks twice, which can only mean one thing ..... :1:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • RIP
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 10:26:44 PM
Yes, I'll have to ask a priest to save me his communion wine corks.  :008:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

waggish