Author Topic: Flush Mount Front Indicator unit  (Read 1175 times)

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Flush Mount Front Indicator unit
on: April 06, 2019, 11:10:19 AM
The front faring on the Mk3 V650 and Mk2 V1k I have always thought to be a bit vulnerable in a slow-mo tip over especially after reading that the indicator will crack the fairing rather than breaking itself, necessitating an expensive fairing replacement rather than a cheap indicator.  :006:

Also styling wise, the indicators do look a bit of a letdown  :023:

So has anyone replaced their front indicators with a flush mount alternative  :027:
Picture please  :028:

Richard  :001:

Richard    :001:

Offline Deso_70

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 GT
  • City / Town: Grimsby
Re: Flush Mount Front Indicator unit
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 03:30:37 PM
I bought a CBR600F back in 2006 and it came with flush mounted indicators. I had all sorts of problems with drivers not seeing my signal. The amount of times people would move out into my partly on roundabouts when I was indicating right was ridiculous. It took me a while to work out that they couldn't see the indicator flashing if I was at a certain angle to them. I changed to stick indicators and it solved the issue.
Hence, for safety reasons I don't like flush mounted indicators.

Each to their own and I understand why you want to change, but just a word of warning if you do.
What if the whole world farted at once?

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 09:39:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Deso_70 [+]
I bought a CBR600F back in 2006 and it came with flush mounted indicators. I had all sorts of problems with drivers not seeing my signal. The amount of times people would move out into my partly on roundabouts when I was indicating right was ridiculous. It took me a while to work out that they couldn't see the indicator flashing if I was at a certain angle to them. I changed to stick indicators and it solved the issue.
Hence, for safety reasons I don't like flush mounted indicators.

Each to their own and I understand why you want to change, but just a word of warning if you do.
I appreciate you words  :028:

Just don't want this to happen  :013:

Offline maine_man

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1000 LT
  • City / Town: Saco, ME
Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 02:21:34 AM
Yeah, itís costing me about $160 to replace that section of fairing. I know there are some shorter turn signal stalks out there, maybe that would be a better option than the OEM turn signals or flush mounted.
OEM fog lights, top box, gear indicator, power outlet, radiator guard; Givi Airflow windscreen, Motowerks mirror extenders and highway peg mounts, Rivco highway pegs, T-Rex frame sliders and luggage guards, Pyramid fender extender, Denali Soundbomb Mini horn, BikeMaster LED turn signals, Quad Lock phone mount, Blackbeard EZPass mount, keyless gas cap

Offline maine_man

• Versys Pro
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 02:30:48 AM
I just ordered the R&G Racing AeroLED turn signals for the front of my Versys:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rg-racing-aero-led-turn-signals

Also ordered the Puig Adapter Plates and the Bike Master turn signal adapters:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-turn-signal-adapter-plates-kawasaki

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bike-master-turn-signal-adapters

Since I have to replace that one section of fairing, I figured Iíd go for shorter turn signals at the same time so hopefully Iíll never have this problem again. Reportedly these are short enough that they wonít hit the ground in a drop, keeping that fairing safe.  Iím keeping the OEM turn signals on the back for now since they arenít in danger and are a bit larger for better visibility.  Iíll report back once all the parts are here and installed.
OEM fog lights, top box, gear indicator, power outlet, radiator guard; Givi Airflow windscreen, Motowerks mirror extenders and highway peg mounts, Rivco highway pegs, T-Rex frame sliders and luggage guards, Pyramid fender extender, Denali Soundbomb Mini horn, BikeMaster LED turn signals, Quad Lock phone mount, Blackbeard EZPass mount, keyless gas cap

Offline maine_man

• Versys Pro
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 05:00:14 PM
I am not impressed with the R&G AeroLED turn signals.  They are smaller than the OEM signals, and look nice, but they are not very bright.  I had LED bulbs in the OEM signals and they were significantly brighter than these R&G signals.  Also one of the R&Gs has collected a bunch of moisture in it so they clearly are not sealed very well.  For the price, I am pretty disappointed.

At some point soon Iím going to give these a try:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-eyeshot-led-turn-signal-indicators-mercury

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 11:17:54 PM
UPDATE

Tonight I have just fitted a pair of Oxford Mini Indicators - Arrow

They are bright and also look good :028:

Before  :151:

After  :028:

Offline M28JMGVersys100

• Versys Newbie
  • Keep 'er lit !!
  • Bike: 2018 Versys 1000 GT
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 04:50:12 PM
Did you need adapters to fit the Oxfords or just a straight swap?

Offline maine_man

• Versys Pro
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 04:54:46 PM
I used these adapters and they worked perfectly. There are four in the package, and I used two for each turn signal, one on the inside of the fairing and one on the outside.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-turn-signal-adapter-plates-kawasaki

Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:59:51 PM by maine_man

Offline Scarecrow

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Prudhoe NE England
Reply #9 on: July 14, 2019, 01:21:17 PM
TowerMan, Did you need adapter plates if so which ones did you use please
Cheers

waggish