Author Topic: Misfire  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Misfire
on: April 21, 2019, 09:48:56 AM
First proper run out yesterday since last year. Filled tank up then after about 5 miles i opened it up and it started misfiring, felt like a couple of plugs went down, but once over 2,500 revs it was fine, didn't do it all the time but most of the time, occasionally around 5,000 rpm when opening the throttle it would do it again, did 130 miles yesterday so it goes as it should apart from the misfire.
If it was carburettor I'd say it was a blocked pilot jet (very similar symptoms).
When starting the engine for the first couple of seconds it doesn't run on all 4 but as it's only a few seconds I can't tell which.
Possibly bad fuel, so I've just drained it all out and will go get some more from another petrol station ,
Or maybe a plug, (2015 model , 9,500 miles original plugs).
Just wondered if anyone else had similar trouble.
I'll sort it out ok but obviously checking the easy things first, ( fuel)
Then probably put new plugs in it.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Misfire
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:13:25 AM
Just a thought Peter, I don't suppose the tank cap vent  is blocked or trapped pipe  :question:   
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:31 AM
thought that rog but I've never had the tank off, just had it running on my workbench with the cap open and it still misfires on start up.
when riding it , it goes as it should ( 100mph etc)  , its just that initial opening of the throttle.
and no I didn't put diesel in it when I fuelled up.

Offline Vern

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Black Versys GT
  • City / Town: Widnes
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 10:17:51 AM
Hi Floyd,

Could it be that some dampness has crept into the HT side and causing electrical tracking until the rev's pick-up, then clears as component warm; only to return once the bike cools?

The 'winter' storage problem my bike suffered was moisture that turned to rust on the oil pressure switch connection underneath bike.
On my first ride out everything was fine until I was waiting in traffic with the bile idling. I looked at the dash when the red alert light came on along with the small oil can symbol. Cleared as the rpm was lifted to 1500.
Thankfully as mentioned it was moisture behind the rubber boot that covered the connection to the oil switch, which has turned to rust that caused a minor short circuit.

Could the same have happened to the spark plug HT connections?

Regards Vern

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 10:27:45 AM
it does sound like those symptoms vern, its kept in a nice dry and warmish workshop along with my other bikes so I wouldn't expect it to be damp, i'll check the ht connections anyhow, suppose when I've lifted the tank I might as well put new plugs in it,

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 10:47:53 AM
I don't suppose there is any chance of a small rodent making a home in the exhaust

Seems as if it's related to the bike standing unused for some time 

Roger (Rog)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 11:17:15 AM
id thought of that as well rog but I used it a couple of weeks ago when I went round to my mates to build his gt750 motor, was about 10 mile round trip, and all was fine and I do start it up during the winter from time to time.
just back with some new fuel so once I've had my bacon butty ill give it a try.

it just seamed a coincidence as it was just after id refuelled,
but it does feel electrical.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 12:26:50 PM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
id thought of that as well rog but I used it a couple of weeks ago when I went round to my mates to build his gt750 motor, was about 10 mile round trip, and all was fine and I do start it up during the winter from time to time.
just back with some new fuel so once I've had my bacon butty ill give it a try.

it just seamed a coincidence as it was just after id refuelled,
but it does feel electrical.

silly question maybe.... but was the fuel you used to initially refill clean  :question:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 12:40:02 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
silly question maybe.... but was the fuel you used to initially refill clean  :question:
fuel looked ok, it was from the local eurogarage down the road.
anyhow, just put a fresh gallon in from another fuel station and its just the same on tick over, I've not been out on it yet but I've not cured it.
cant tell which cylinders not running correctly because they all warm up to quick but it is running on all 4.
think its going to be a tank off job and check all the connections etc. don't suppose there's any way of getting any fault codes up on the dash is there, there's nothing flashing on the dash so it wont show any fault codes because I presume it thinks everything is ok.
Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 01:01:12 PM by Floydsz1

Offline Tiggadave

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Arborfield
Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:22 PM
Maybe you have got some water in the tank? Try some Seafoam or similar fuel condiditioner in the fuel. I had a Tiger that was running rough, and running Seafoam in the fuel improved matters.

Cheers,

Dave