Author Topic: Misfire  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
Re: Misfire
Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 01:43:04 PM
ill give it a try dave, thanks.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 02:38:12 PM
Keep us posted ..... it's a bit of a  :notsure:     
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 03:18:27 PM
Suggest if have the service manual to try the troubleshooting guide under the appendix section.

On the fault code find, worth a check under sect 3-38 fuel system (DFI) self-diagnosis. Mind mine the MK1 but MK2 should not be far off. Good luck... :028:

This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2008 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 08:38:10 PM

+1 to Seafoam or other fuel line de icer. I had a similar problem on my V 650 and a shot of methyl hydrate cleared it up immediately. Water in the fuel getting sucked up to the filter as demand increased with more throttle. The problem never recurred.

Rob.

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 09:19:32 PM
*Originally Posted by stlee29 [+]
Suggest if have the service manual to try the troubleshooting guide under the appendix section.

On the fault code find, worth a check under sect 3-38 fuel system (DFI) self-diagnosis. Mind mine the MK1 but MK2 should not be far off. Good luck... :028:

thank you sir, I've just been out and tried the diagnostic , but because there's no warning lights showing when the engine is running it thinks there's nothing wrong so wont go into diagnostic mode. still have a misfire when starting and ticking over. might have a ride out on it tomorrow while the new plugs arrive, then i'll lift the tank and check the connectors and fit the plugs. i'll also get some seafome or similar, all I've got is redex, might give that a try, It will at least clean the injectors.

Offline stlee29

• Versys God
  • Good rides.....
  • Bike: V1K 2013
  • City / Town: Penang
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 12:48:42 AM
Most welcome, sir  :002:

Very likely it is some water condensed in the tank. Water finding paste will have a change of color if water is present. (http://www.kolorkut.co.uk/). Water being denser will settle at the bottom of the tank.

Agree your action plan is worth a shot :028:
This is a bloody great Bike....!

My V1K Blog: https://www.versys1000.com/index.php/topic,12733.0.html

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #16 on: April 27, 2019, 04:25:44 PM
Just spent 2 hrs in my workshop from start to finish,
Fitted new sparkplugs, everything looked ok , all connectors were clean and dry,

Took 5 mins to get the tank into this position, no need to remove the fairing, just the side panel/fairing part on each side of the tank.

Gave the k & n filter a clean and oil

Stick coils were a pig to get out, just stuck on the rubbers, did them one at a time and blew the holes out before removing the plug, no dirt or water came out.
 Usual staining but nothing I've not seen before

Number 1 was a pig to get out because the wiring harness runs across the top of the coil. Out of interest, what's the spare connection in the harness for, just above my finger

All plugs looked ok

All back together, started it up and it ran instantly on 4 cylinders, before it fired on maybe 3 for a second or 2 then onto 4, this happened each time I started it.
Its like winter here at the moment so I'm not going out on it but it feels ok again. Hopefully it's a better day tomorrow and I can make sure it's running as good as it always has.
Happy days.

Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:05:13 PM by Floydsz1

Offline Floydsz1

• Versys Master
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 04:26:34 PM
managed to get out on the bike today, done about 50 miles and the misfire has gone, all I can put it down to was a spark plug deciding to throw the towel in, Id have expected them to last more than 9,500 miles so maybe just a duff one. Anyhow its all back to its lovely smooth throttle etc etc. Happy days.

Online TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 04:31:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
managed to get out on the bike today, done about 50 miles and the misfire has gone, all I can put it down to was a spark plug deciding to throw the towel in, Id have expected them to last more than 9,500 miles so maybe just a duff one. Anyhow its all back to its lovely smooth throttle etc etc. Happy days.

You're right of course.. 9,500 miles for a plug isn't realistic today.... but, every so often a duff plug will show up

Good to hear that your bike is now back to its best  :169:     
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)