Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Riding question: Use the clutch to coast?  (Read 899 times)

Online dancingweasel

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Exeter
Re: Riding question: Use the clutch to coast?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
+1 

6th gear anywhere under 3000rpm is lugging and putting unwanted strain on the engine unless you accelerate verrrrry slowly.

The V1K's throttle asks for fine control. If that is hard to do, gently lay an index finger or index and middle across the brake lever. That helps steady the hand for smooth throttle control.

If jerky "on/off" throttle behavior is still a problem, consider installing a G2Ergo Throttle Tamer throttle tube. That has made a big difference for me and others.

But relying on lugging and coasting with the clutch in is not the answer, from a mechanical standpoint for the engine or from a safety and handling standpoint.

No, I don't "lug" the engine. I don't open the throttle enough for that. I just trundle along on almost no throttle. It would only be lugging it you open wide, and expect it to go. I don't do that.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 05:11:29 PM »
Old school, As others have said I wouldn't 'coast' the bike as IMHO that would be taking a degree of control away from my riding

I find that it's a balancing act... that is speed v which/correct gear selection

I understand that if I have too lower gear and I open the throttle the bike will respond more aggressively, however too lower gear and the bike will stutter (lug) so find a happy medium which suits the speed and conditions and fells comfortable for you
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline Old school

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2015
  • City / Town: Wisconsin, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 04:26:43 PM »
Thanks to all for the info!  It seems coasting is a bad idea.  I think my problem staying in the wrong gear and getting stuck between gentle acceleration and engine breaking while the road is hilly.  Just need a gentler throttle control and better feel for which gear is best in a given situation.

Thanks again!

Offline Bob van der Hoeven

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Ecu remapping also works. Makes the bike handle a lot better in low revs. Had the same problem with the bike in tight corners. After the remap the bike is better to handle without working the clutch.

Offline TallyRex

• Versys Master
  • Bike: V1K, 900RS, ZRX1200
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Old school [+]
Thanks to all for the info!  It seems coasting is a bad idea.  I think my problem staying in the wrong gear and getting stuck between gentle acceleration and engine breaking while the road is hilly.  Just need a gentler throttle control and better feel for which gear is best in a given situation.

Thanks again!

I like to run between 3,500 to 4,000 rpms. and downshift at 3,000.  But have no problem going to 8,000 when appropriate  :biker1:

Offline limeex2

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V1K,ZRX,Speed3,GL
  • City / Town: Stillwater
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bob van der Hoeven [+]
Ecu remapping also works. Makes the bike handle a lot better in low revs. Had the same problem with the bike in tight corners. After the remap the bike is better to handle without working the clutch.
I have many bikes but the V1K is new to me. At first, throttle input was very sensitive. Now that I have some miles on her, its much better. I dyno or have remapped all my bikes. Was curious how these respond to a remap? The fueling is very good now, and will get a feel for mileage as I ride it more. Not looking for a power increase, but if driveability and mileage can be improved I would be up for it

Offline Bob van der Hoeven

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
Both millage (km in my case ;-)) and handling have improved after my remap.

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
I see no mechanical or safety issues with using the clutch as you've described, but a safety issue can be created by using engine braking in traffic and not activating the brake lights. The other side of the coin is that the substantial braking the engine provides is really nice on a fun twisty highway.

I tend to ride around town, where the lower gears create a lot of engine braking, in the upper gears...sometimes in 6th as at at least one other poster mentioned.

I also often double up-shift when performance isn't a concern. 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 5th, 2nd to 4th, 4th to 6th, etc. These bikes only need about 3 gears much of the time because the engine is magic!

I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

Offline JackLawman

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2015 V1K
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dannyboy1949 [+]
I also often double up-shift when performance isn't a concern. 1st to 3rd, 3rd to 5th, 2nd to 4th, 4th to 6th, etc. These bikes only need about 3 gears much of the time because the engine is magic!

Never considered if it was bad for the bike... but I also double up on the upshift. The one gear at a time upshift is like going to fridge to get yourself and a friend a beer. You don't pull his beer out of the six pack, walk it over to him, then go back and get yours... you grab 'em two at a time  :031:
Jacklawman.com

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »
There is an optimum gear/rev combination for any controlled riding situation: for me, one of the most enjoyable skills of riding lies in finding it and then be able to keep within it. If you always double up, that means that you were either in too low a gear when you changed up, or that you are now in too high a gear.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:51:47 AM by Sir Rupert »
No good deed goes unpunished.

Recent Topics

waggish