Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thank God for frame sliders - and d&mn those disc locks!  (Read 637 times)

Offline Joeri999

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 V1K black
  • City / Town: Tilburg
Re: Thank God for frame sliders - and d&mn those disc locks!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 07:12:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by calderonroberto [+]
Welcome to the "forgot the lock" club  :031:.

Hey thanks! :37:

Do I get a pin now? :756:

Offline Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 10:31:38 AM »
So picture this... it's 1979 and a Suzuki GS400 is parked on Southsea sea front. There is a large crowd of holiday makers sitting in their cars watching the waves breaking on the beach. The rider gets on the bike and fires it up. Seeking to make a big impression he gives it a huge handful of throttle to accelerate away down the promenade only to find the steering lock is on and corkscrews the bike into the tarmac.

That never happened to me...  :11:

Online stillsteamn

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys1K, Kymco S250
  • City / Town: Bloomington, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 04:04:44 PM »
Even using the steering lock can upset the apple cart.  I had the steering lock engaged with bike on sidestand, then decided the angle of the parking spot was too risky not enough weight on the sidestand, got back on lifted the bike up then I'm not sure what happened but I think because the steering was locked one hand slipped off a grip, my foot reached for the curb on the right side and missed, and the bike ended up laying on its side.   :157:   Couple scratches on the exhaust heat shield, guess that's a good enough reason to replace with an aftermarket lighter exhaust anyway.  Frame slider saved the front end as the frame slider was lying on top of the curb.
Corbin seat, Puig windshield, windshield gps bracket, Tak-Lok throttle lock, Grip Puppies, Puig fender extender, Kawi 12V socket

Offline flatfour

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys GT
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »
Some 15 years ago I had just bought one of the last Ducati ST2's to arrive in the country. In June, my brother and I set off on our annual trip to the Coupe de Moto Legende at Dijon and, whilst there, we both parked in the grass car park.
When we came to leave, it was all rather hurried because a thunderstorm was moving in and, after changing back into my riding gear, I hurriedly locked the panniers and jumped on the bike to leave. As I pulled away, the front wheel locked and I thought that as the grass was wet and I had started to turn up the hill toward the exit, that must be the problem so I tried again - this time with more power. The front wheel locked once more and so I dismounted and walked around the front to see what the problem was, only to find the factory supplied locking hoop that I had put through the front wheel was still in place!
Quite how I didn't fall of I am still not sure, however now whenever I leave, even in a hurry, I walk around the bike and check that both wheels are free to move.

Offline JohnRS

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Hebburn
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
At least it's superficial damage!
It almost happened to me once, luckily I remembered just as I cocked my leg over the saddle. I swiftly invested in one of those stretching bright orange things TYKE linked to and attach it to my clutch lever now.

Online Claude

• Versys Pro
  • City / Town: Victoriaville Quebec
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
Here's my solution for a safe and easy use of a disc lock.

https://www.versys1000.com/index.php?topic=20169.new#new

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
Rather than a Disc lock I have got a couple of these for my bikes  :028:

Available HERE on Amazon UK for ~£30

Richard  :001:

Richard    :001:           

Recent Topics