Author Topic: LED Headlight Bulbs That Work  (Read 3657 times)

Offline BikeRNick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: KLZ1000
  • City / Town: Watford
Re: LED Headlight Bulbs That Work
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 02:15:12 PM
So much for my LED upgrade which I was really pleased with and have no issues other than being able to see twice as far in the dark. Not a single flash from other road users. Now the government has made them ILLEGAL and an MOT failure

MOT Updates that were introduced as from January 2021 and if you have fitted LED bulbs to your headlamp, they will now be an MOT failure same as HID bulbs (wording has been changed to include LED bulbs as failures alongside HID bulbs)
https://www.gov.uk/.../mot-inspection-manual-for.../updates
Look under Updates January 2021 and scroll down to section 4.1.4 which reads:
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Offline solidback

• Versys Pro
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 02:33:12 PM
Just swap them over at MOT time

Online TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 04:02:43 PM
*Originally Posted by BikeRNick [+]
So much for my LED upgrade which I was really pleased with and have no issues other than being able to see twice as far in the dark. Not a single flash from other road users. Now the government has made them ILLEGAL and an MOT failure

MOT Updates that were introduced as from January 2021 and if you have fitted LED bulbs to your headlamp, they will now be an MOT failure same as HID bulbs (wording has been changed to include LED bulbs as failures alongside HID bulbs)
https://www.gov.uk/.../mot-inspection-manual-for.../updates
Look under Updates January 2021 and scroll down to section 4.1.4 which reads:
4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

Link not working properly

This is the corrected one - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment

I can also see this eventually being enforced more rigorously by the police as well - ie m/c in unroadworthy condition  :027:
Richard    :001: 
      and       on www.versys.co.uk forum               

waggish