Author Topic: Shifter adjustment issue on the '19 LT+  (Read 1287 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Shifter adjustment issue on the '19 LT+
Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 02:38:59 PM
*Originally Posted by rdbandkab [+]
We have 7100 miles on ours now..   I just disabled the KQS and low and behold, the regular "clutch" shifting is totally smooth.   With the KQS enabled, manual clutch shifts were a little "herky-jerky"...and quick shifts were not as smooth as I'd like.   I disabled the KQS yesterday and normal shifts were much better.  Quite a bit smoother.
I'll be taking her in for a 7500 mile check shortly and will have that looked at as well as a mushy rear brake pedal.

richy

Yes Richy, I would get the Quick shift checked over, as mine is very smooth, I haven't found any need to disable it

I would add that the rear brake whilst seemingly better on my 20019 bike, it is still not great, I don't know if other manufacturers have a 'better' performing rear brake system to compare against
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline rdbandkab

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE+
  • City / Town: WV
Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 02:59:33 PM
I may even check the rear brake pedal for too much free play this evening. 
I was thinking the rear might need "bled", but it might even just need an adjustment.  I just want to beware of making an adjustment that has the brake dragging even slightly.
I rarely use the rear brake, but I'm trying to get into the habit of using it more.  It feels like there's an inch and a half of movement before the brake actually gets applied.
We're loving the bike so far!  7100 (give or take a few) miles since end of May.

richy

Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:01:45 PM by rdbandkab

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 08:50:26 PM
That would definitely be too much free play for me. My pedal is adjusted to provide some 'bite' with much less play than yours, it doesn't bind,  which nicely suits me and my slightly 'wonky' right foot, plus there is now better performance from the rear brake.   :169:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline 4Bikes

• Versys Member
  • Bike: C14/2019 V1000 SE LT
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 09:47:55 PM
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Yes Richy, I would get the Quick shift checked over, as mine is very smooth, I haven't found any need to disable it

I would add that the rear brake whilst seemingly better on my 20019 bike, it is still not great, I don't know if other manufacturers have a 'better' performing rear brake system to compare against

Take a look at the clutch “free play” adjustment in the periodic maintenance section of the manual. I adjusted mine to the tight end of the specification, and I am now very happy with the shifting.

I agree that the rear brake pedal takes too much pressure and travel to do much of anything. Overall, this is a great motorcycle!
Keep the rubber side down. Ride fast, live slow.

Offline Smaug

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys SE LT+
  • City / Town: Chicago suburbs
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 12:44:32 PM
The rear brake on my 2019 has no free play, but the initial inch of travel does just about nothing.

I think Kawasaki designed it that way for the people who are afraid to use the front, so that when they step on just the rear and nothing happens, they will use the front.

Either that, or it is for adventure-type riding; don't want it to lock up too easily on gravel roads, right?
-Jeremy

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 09:11:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Smaug [+]
The rear brake on my 2019 has no free play, but the initial inch of travel does just about nothing.

I think Kawasaki designed it that way for the people who are afraid to use the front, so that when they step on just the rear and nothing happens, they will use the front.

Either that, or it is for adventure-type riding; don't want it to lock up too easily on gravel roads, right?

Not a view that I agree with I'm afraid 

Roger (Rog)

Offline rdbandkab

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000 SE+
  • City / Town: WV
Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 10:14:11 PM
**Update on rear brake pedal**

The stock Bridgestone T30 lasted around 7500 (2up) miles before the center developed a wicked highspot.  Lots of rubber left, but very unsettled in turns.
I changed out the rear for a new Shinko (I need to hear some tricks and tips on getting the wheel back on!!!  Seemed to be a tight fit and the wheel spacers were giving me grief!)
*anyway....  It seems as though spreading the pucks to aid in brake disc insertion, during wheel installation, may have "bled" a bubble out of the system.  The rear brakes now feel correct.  Not a whole lot of travel in the pedal before the brakes take effect.  Yeah!
richy

Offline Miks

• Versys Member
  • Yes....I am a movie star!
  • Bike: 19 Versys 1000 SE LT
  • City / Town: Sioux Falls
Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 05:13:49 PM
Interesting topic, as I found the shifting to be a little funky on this bike...funky meaning soft and not precise.

Mine has the Kawasaki quick shifter installed, I tried the clutchless shifts to see how it worked, and found it has it quirks.  It doesn't like the gentle half throttle type shift, the harder I was on the throttle, the easier and more precise the shifting was, same with the downshift, higher rpm's seemed to make it a more precise downshift.  Yet...I found the gearbox to be a little strange with the straight cut gears and not the helical cut that I am used to on my Honda motur-psykles.

I went into the menu and disabled the quick shifter...since I am not on the fun roads that would be keeping the engine right in tune for power/torque, I am mainly commuting on city streets.  Ahaha...that seemed to help with the "feeling" from the shift lever. 

Each bike requires it's own technique for smooth shifting, this bike has that quirk for sure.  I had a BMW that had a clunky gearbox, and what I learned was if you pre-load the shift lever prior to pulling in the clutch, it shifted buttery smooth.

Offline 4Bikes

• Versys Member
  • Bike: C14/2019 V1000 SE LT
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Reply #18 on: October 09, 2019, 06:29:03 PM
I agree with your assessment.  I find I can shift better with the clutch on the up shifts then the KQS .  If the revs are 3000 or higher, the downshifts with the quick shifter are fairly smooth.  I haven't tried disabling the KQS yet.   I recall the owners manual says the KQS works best with revs above 2800, and agree with that.  If you try the KQS below those revs it feels like you are torturing your transmission.    :5:
Keep the rubber side down. Ride fast, live slow.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 08:50:59 AM
Upshifting with the KQS will only function with revs above 2500

Downshifting with the KQS  is designed to function with the throttle closed 

The KQS on my bike works extremely well and only very occasionally shows any slight signs of misbehaving, IMHO the KQS sytem is not designed to perform like a Quick shift mechanism on a 'sports' bike where speed of shifting is more of a priority.

The expectations that I have from the quick shifter on my bike are met  :169:   

Roger (Rog)