Author Topic: 2019 exhaust options for a bit more sound?  (Read 3386 times)

Online Steve in sunny Fla

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 Versys 1000
Re: 2019 exhaust options for a bit more sound?
Reply #40 on: May 20, 2020, 01:11:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]

Thanks Steve , that is alot of muffler to do the job ,must weigh 15lbs  :whistle:

I've had my muffler off and on a bunch of times, I've never weighed it but I don't think it's 15#. Maybe 8-10#... or maybe I'm stronger than I think, which is doubtful. The header with the cat is pretty heavy, esp when compared to the aftermarket headers.

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #41 on: May 20, 2020, 05:23:26 PM
I am guesstimating at the stock weight , but its too heavy as most stock cans are :lostit:
I have also the Jitsu tri oval can that was there before the short pipe , it was probably 1/2 the weight of the stocker .
 Steve what map do you have for my current setup stock header /cat ..plus short pipe  or the Jitsu can ...i like this as to the lower decibel mostly.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #42 on: May 20, 2020, 07:17:36 PM
*Originally Posted by Keener [+]
I am guesstimating at the stock weight , but its too heavy as most stock cans are :lostit:
I have also the Jitsu tri oval can that was there before the short pipe , it was probably 1/2 the weight of the stocker .
 Steve what map do you have for my current setup stock header /cat ..plus short pipe  or the Jitsu can ...i like this as to the lower decibel mostly.

you would get the one for the stock header. Since the muffler isn't a player, it really doesn't affect the tuning.
  BTW if you are having thoughts of going with a different header. get the tune for that header. The tunes are all close, but the fueling is tweaked for each header, generally for economy. In other words if a header change allowed me to pull some fuel off or needed to add fuel, I did it. and just a little hint... just because  a header makes more power, doesn't mean it can't also be the most fuel efficient. Steve

Offline Keener

• Versys God
Reply #43 on: May 20, 2020, 11:13:43 PM
probably stay with stock header with cat as i like the lower decibel , shorty  or JitSu sound , I use the bike for touring mostly and some sport riding as well ..
Cheers Steve ..i will think on your tune for sure  wouldn't mind some more mid range and a little less choppy .

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #44 on: May 21, 2020, 11:14:59 AM
Eventually I'll get the Black Widow headers and use the stock can as suggested by Steve, might spring for the flash as well, I'll see what difference the headers make without it. Sorry Steve but not convinced the flash is worth it ($500 AUD is a big chunk of change to drop on software) but certainly appreciate all the work you have done.
Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 11:16:38 AM by Maverick

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #45 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:33 PM
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Eventually I'll get the Black Widow headers and use the stock can as suggested by Steve, might spring for the flash as well, I'll see what difference the headers make without it. Sorry Steve but not convinced the flash is worth it ($500 AUD is a big chunk of change to drop on software) but certainly appreciate all the work you have done.

Trust me, I understand. I have an AU distributor for my GTR1400 flashes, He has declined flashing the versys line until he could see a desire for it. I don't blame him, there's a fair expense to getting set up, even with the flashes already made.
    I will say this too... if you think flashing is expensive despite not knowing if it's worth it, you ought to delve into suspension upgrades. I have 2300.00 US in my Concours 1400 suspension, and I have spent 1400.00 US on my versys suspension... so far, with more to come. If you never want to feel compelled to spend money on your bike, do not ride one with a proper tune, or proper suspension. Once your eyes are opened, there's no going back... and it's $$$$$.   

Steve

Offline Maverick

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2016 V1K
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #46 on: May 21, 2020, 09:26:43 PM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]

Trust me, I understand. I have an AU distributor for my GTR1400 flashes, He has declined flashing the versys line until he could see a desire for it. I don't blame him, there's a fair expense to getting set up, even with the flashes already made.
    I will say this too... if you think flashing is expensive despite not knowing if it's worth it, you ought to delve into suspension upgrades. I have 2300.00 US in my Concours 1400 suspension, and I have spent 1400.00 US on my versys suspension... so far, with more to come. If you never want to feel compelled to spend money on your bike, do not ride one with a proper tune, or proper suspension. Once your eyes are opened, there's no going back... and it's $$$$$.   

Steve

Hi Steve,
I hear you and believe me I've spent enough on motorcycles to have an idea of what you mean. I won't be spending a lot on suspension or performance as the V1K is quite good in my opinion from the factory. Yep I know there is better I also know the V is a better bike than I am a rider and I'll never push it to it's limits.
If and when I buy the headers it is more for sound and weight loss and sure if our dollar recovers and is more competitive with the American $ I'd be more interested in the flash.
Just out of curiosity and if you have the time and inclination what did you do to the suspension?
Cheers
Garry

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #47 on: May 22, 2020, 12:21:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Hi Steve,
I hear you and believe me I've spent enough on motorcycles to have an idea of what you mean. I won't be spending a lot on suspension or performance as the V1K is quite good in my opinion from the factory. Yep I know there is better I also know the V is a better bike than I am a rider and I'll never push it to it's limits.
If and when I buy the headers it is more for sound and weight loss and sure if our dollar recovers and is more competitive with the American $ I'd be more interested in the flash.
Just out of curiosity and if you have the time and inclination what did you do to the suspension?
Cheers
Garry

i hated the rear shock. I sent it to traxxion and had it revalved and sprung. That wasn't enough. I then bought a wilbers triple clicker with custom spring and valving. That helped alot, but I may send it back and have it re-valved. Wilbers rep warned me it might still be a bit stiffly valved, it still is (I use on and offroad) . I raised the oil level in forks to stop the diving, again not right so I have a set of springs in the shop that I'll install at the next tire change. Maybe a set of Andreani cartridges. Probably. Steve

Offline sweatmachine

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
Reply #48 on: May 24, 2020, 03:00:42 AM
*Originally Posted by Steve in sunny Fla [+]
  I've had my muffler off and on a bunch of times, I've never weighed it but I don't think it's 15#. Maybe 8-10#... or maybe I'm stronger than I think, which is doubtful. The header with the cat is pretty heavy, esp when compared to the aftermarket headers.

The factory muffler on my '17 weighs 13.0 lbs.  The cat, removed from the headers for decat link pipe, weighs 9.5 lbs.

• Approved Vendor
  • Versys Pro
Reply #49 on: May 24, 2020, 04:22:30 AM
*Originally Posted by sweatmachine [+]
The factory muffler on my '17 weighs 13.0 lbs.  The cat, removed from the headers for decat link pipe, weighs 9.5 lbs.

good info, the best part is that now I know I'm stronger than I thought I was!  :5:

waggish