Author Topic: Anybody replaced the oem battery with lithium ion  (Read 831 times)

Offline pinkaardvark

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys GT
  • City / Town: Swavesey
Anybody replaced the oem battery with lithium ion
on: June 14, 2019, 11:04:30 AM
Has anybody tried a lithium ion battery to replace the stock item. I'm keen to lose the weight from my 2019 se. If so what model did you go for? and did it fit with or without packing/shims etc?Also did it have an internal Battery Management System and fuse?

Cheers

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Re: Anybody replaced the oem battery with lithium ion
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:51:33 PM
I put an Anti Gravity  AG-12 in my 2016...comes with all the padding and foam you need to make it fit tight and you will still have plenty of room left over in the battery box to store  small items if you so choose ..it also cranks over like a madman...:)

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/antigravity-small-case-12-cell-360ca-lithium-ion-battery?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi43oBRDBARIsAExSRQFDZDzmAoSrMcgE7BsY1uYsTwzfNuYWlJxFTXDFEtECQ-i6TESL0oAaApBYEALw_wcB

Offline pinkaardvark

• Versys Pro
Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 02:11:44 PM
Thanks crosshairs, still waiting to pick up my se and check it has the same yuasa battery as the old model, if it does I will get one ordered. The SE looks like it has minimal room under the seat so any room saved would be fantastic. I always thought the cranking power of the stock item was a bit limp so good to hear the lithium one improves that.  :763:

Offline Sonny

• Versys God
  • RIP
  • Bike: '15 V1K LT, VN900C
  • City / Town: DFW, TX
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:50:52 PM
I would want to know there was zero chance of that sumbitch bursting into flames under the seat before I install one.  :5:
G2Ergo throttle tube, Givi Airflow screen, Dan Moto carbon fiber exhaust, Grip Puppies, Moto Werk bar risers, Kaw rad guard

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 06:35:51 PM
I've had a Shorai in my 1100 Shadow for 4 years, best battery I've ever had. It's a LiFePo4 Lithium/iron phosphate, not the lithium ion type that catch fire.  I did almost cook it when I first put it in when my stator failed and it discharged way below the point where it was supposed to be recoverable. Recharged it and it worked flawlessly for 4 more years. It did die while on a trip. Bought a regular one to finish the trip. contacted Shorai when I got home and they replaced it under a pro-rated warranty, cost around half price to replace it after 4 years,,,

Edit: I did have to shim it, foam shims included, about half the size and less than half the weight 2.31 lbs and 19 amp/hr  285 C.C.A

https://shoraipower.com/
Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:42:20 PM by 9094

Offline pinkaardvark

• Versys Pro
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 11:39:34 AM
Just as an FYI, I replaced the yuasa battery with the exide eltx9-bs which is a direct fit replacement,so no shims needed
It is about 2kg lighter an has a nice charge test button on the top. I can't comment furthe runtil I have used it for a while, but bike starts and runs cleanly with it. Same yuasa battery is used on 2015-2018 bikes as well so is an upgrade most could do cheaply.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/exide/eltx9-bs/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqIeEgXJC5QDDb_KWmGqTAbv4YVRQgRfqBNDZ8dcQcbcIzE38ONGqosaAgl7EALw_wcB

Offline Crosshairs

• Versys God
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:34:16 PM
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]
I would want to know there was zero chance of that sumbitch bursting into flames under the seat before I install one.  :5:

I think you may be worried about the wrong thing.....Im willing to  bet that the number of bikers killed due to accidents is a bit higher than the number killed due to batteries exploding...... like about a million times higher... :756:

Offline pinkaardvark

• Versys Pro
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 12:58:20 PM
*Originally Posted by Sonny [+]

They are becoming standard fit on a lot of production road bikes now, so that's good enough for me.

Offline Dannyboy1949

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2017 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Medford, Oregon
Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 04:12:52 AM
The cost/benefit ratio is still way out of whack on lithium, unless weight savings is critical. A good AGM battery gives excellent service and performance. Also, replacing a battery on a brand new bike (unless I misread your post)  is...well, to be kind, unnecessary.

But if lithium is your preference....by all means get one. They're kinda cool.
I used to do self deprecating humor, but I wasn't very good at it.

waggish