Author Topic: How does the engine behave in the current heat wave?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: How does the engine behave in the current heat wave?
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 03:34:56 PM
 :759:  it will be interesting to hear your feedback
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline danresh

• Versys Member
  • Bike: Versys 1000, 2018
  • City / Town: Tel Aviv
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 01:30:22 PM
Hi all. After a week of riding in ambient temperature of 30-34 Centigrade, I can declare that the methods used for deflecting the hot air flow coming from the radiator, are definitely working.
The Tape blocking the air flow escaping from the fissure between the two side panels of the fairing, reduces this flow almost totally.
The two polycarbonate winglets attached to the engine guards are doing a great job.I would say that about 80% of the warm airflow directed towards the lower body, is now well deflected and the rest reaches my riding shoes and is hardly felt.
I believe that if the winglets were more precise in their outline form, they would have alleviated the problem completely.
Hope this small experiment will contribute to the comfort of VK riders in hot environment.

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2019, 01:44:40 PM
 :762:   I'm sure that members living inor riding to warmer climates will very much appreciate your modifications and feedback.

Did you notice any increase in engine temperature as a result of restricting the escaping hot air from within the fairings /bodywork   :question:   

Roger (Rog)

Offline danresh

• Versys Member
Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 03:07:09 PM
None at all. I do not consider it a restriction, rather a different path of airflow....
I'm hoping that one of the after-market accessories producers will pick up the idea and add such deflectors to their arsenal. I am sure a commercial product will be of higher standard than my "home-made" solutions...
By the way, a prerequisite will be the engine-guard by Givi..

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 03:19:12 PM
*Originally Posted by danresh [+]
None at all. I do not consider it a restriction, rather a different path of airflow....
I'm hoping that one of the after-market accessories producers will pick up the idea and add such deflectors to their arsenal. I am sure a commercial product will be of higher standard than my "home-made" solutions...
By the way, a prerequisite will be the engine-guard by Givi..

:028:   

The engine guard provides the ideal mouting for your deflectors    :002:     

Roger (Rog)

Offline mr.ford

• Versys Pro
  • Mr.Ford
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Ottawa
Reply #35 on: July 23, 2019, 04:31:43 PM
I just posted a reply in another section. I did notice that My new 2019 SE V1K does not like to operate under higher temps. I was recommended to use thicker oil, like 15W50. Manuals do say its OK. In fact, its a recommended oil for hotter climates.

Currently I run a Motul 7100 10W40. But for next summer I will use 15W50 or 10W50... will experiment. I noticed that when engine is hot it affects shifting a bit...

Offline doboy

• Versys Pro
Reply #36 on: July 25, 2019, 10:56:58 AM
Well to confuse things even more, while riding in 30 degrees took my glove off and was feeling the airflow coming from the engine & to my surprise there was No hot air coming out of the area that danrush fitted them deflectors, but seem to be coming out lower down at the bottom of the panel near your feet..??

Offline danresh

• Versys Member
Reply #37 on: July 25, 2019, 11:58:40 AM
It is a fact that since my "home made" deflectors were installed, very little hot air reaches my lower body. There is certainly a possibility that some air flow also reaches the rider's feet, coming from the lower panel space, and it will not be effected by the deflectors due to their current outline form. However, the main annoying phenomenon can be controlled and even eliminated by a set of more precise polycarbonate winglets - should such a set be fabricated by an after-market professional accessories producer...

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 03:25:23 PM
*Originally Posted by danresh [+]
It is a fact that since my "home made" deflectors were installed, very little hot air reaches my lower body. There is certainly a possibility that some air flow also reaches the rider's feet, coming from the lower panel space, and it will not be effected by the deflectors due to their current outline form. However, the main annoying phenomenon can be controlled and even eliminated by a set of more precise polycarbonate winglets - should such a set be fabricated by an after-market professional accessories producer...

Projekt D are a company likely to market something like this, I checked their site and as yet there is no such item 

www.projektd.com 

Roger (Rog)

Offline danresh

• Versys Member
Reply #39 on: July 26, 2019, 08:44:19 AM
Thanks Tyke. Sent them an email.