Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Side Stand Length  (Read 724 times)

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
Re: Side Stand Length
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 03:10:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
When you've taken the rubber out just bend the gaurd forward slightly so it "bows forward", that keeps it off the rad.

Gotcha   :028:   

You have P.M BTW
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 03:15:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by pinkaardvark [+]
Why didn't you just weld back on the original foot after chopping some length out?
*Originally Posted by pinkaardvark [+]
Why didn't you just weld back on the original foot after chopping some length out?

Original foot was too small for one reason,  Also hard to get it cut off cleanly and flush for re-welding.  has that lip around the outside. Easier and faster to simply make a new foot.  I'd make it a half inch longer than this one next time.  I have an adjustable lowering link on mine, so I cut approx 1-1/2" off.

Offline TowerMan

• Versys Master
  • Bike: Mk1 V650 & Mk2 V1k
  • City / Town: Biggar.
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 03:37:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by TYKE [+]
Found this , and other, clip about bike securing procedure on ferries, this is the method I use and have had no problems yet  :152:   

That interesting, as on both my trips they were tightening up from the other side (ie opposite from the side stand)  :027:

Different crews / on different boats  :notsure:
but the straps and the decent foam pads were the same  :028:
Richard    :001:

Offline TYKE

• Versys Mega God
  • Bike: 2019 SE GT
  • City / Town: Northern Ireland .
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 03:49:31 PM »
I have never seen bikes tightened up from the other side and I have crossed some rough stretches of water in my time - over many years, we were even turned away from Larne port on one occasion because the ships Captain considered it too rough to take bikes   :760:     we travelled the next day instead   

Obviously, it is important to not ratchet down too tight as it would be likely to damage the mountings and/or the side stand itself   :169:   I leave my bike in gear and with a broad velcro strap around the grip and front brake lever  :028: 
Be wary of an old man in a world where men die young

Roger (Rog)

Online Ditchburn12

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015KLZ H2 S2 MV KLV
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
On my trips the ratchet has always been on the side stand side. The worst experience I've seen was due to a force 9 gale one October. When we went to collect the bikes we found they'd but an extra strap on each bike and unfortunately on the CBR600 next to me someone had put it over the middle of the petrol tank which had creased it nearly into two.

l also remember a storm in the mid 80's coming back from the TT when they used to put all the bikes on centre stands and lash them together. All the bikes ended up in a big tangled heap sliding from side to side across the car deck. Because my bike only had a side stand they'd let me tie it to a hand rail at the side and out of all my friends bikes it was the only one undamaged. To be fair they all did well out of it as the ferry company had to pay for every scratched item to be replaced.

Offline 9094

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: Versys 1000 LT
  • City / Town: Kansas City
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 03:25:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by 9094 [+]
Original foot was too small for one reason,  Also hard to get it cut off cleanly and flush for re-welding.  has that lip around the outside. Easier and faster to simply make a new foot.  I'd make it a half inch longer than this one next time.  I have an adjustable lowering link on mine, so I cut approx 1-1/2" off.

I should clarify that, I woud make the foot stick out a half inch more, not the stand itself longer.

Recent Topics