Author Topic: I need help! Hi speed wobble, shimmy, tank-slapper or holy sh*t moment  (Read 2388 times)

Offline sagres

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 Versys 1K SE GT
  • City / Town: V. N. Famalicao
*Originally Posted by Groanup [+]
I'm gonna disagree with the top box thing based solely on my own personal experience.
Like you, I had the wobble ( 2017 V1K) with full luggage, stock tires (Bridgestone T30s 40 psi R/36 psi F) with about 5,000 miles on them, and a VStream sport/tour screen. It started at about 116 mph/186 kph (indicated).
(disclaimer: Professional on a closed course)  :001:
Decided I needed to find a solution, so without changing anything else, I removed the panniers, but left the top box on (OEM/ Givi V47), and tried again.
I did not experience any wobble, even at 120 mph/193 kph. I did not try to go over 120 mph, but felt like I could have done so safely.
As always, YMMV.
For reference, I am 6'0"/182 cm tall, and 190 lbs/86 kgs.
Keep your grip neutral on the bars, your arms relaxed, and ease off the throttle when you feel a wobble. Don't do anything abrupt, and never try to stop a wobble using your strength. You will fail.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Online argus

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 versys 1000 se
  • City / Town: Charlottetown, PE
*Originally Posted by Vespista1960 [+]
Yesterday I also did a short test on a straight highway  :039: with SPORT setting, panniers, no topbox.
I'd say I felt more safe than with MY 15, but the test confirmed to me that high speed is not the ideal habitat for BigV.

agreed just this weekend at 166Kms/H showing on my Garmin GPS the front felt very light.
Forgot to mention since my gig at 155 Kms/h without any issues I have added the Powerbronze beak so this time at 166 Kms/H I felt the front light
Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:37:56 PM by argus
Kickstand

Offline dizzy

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: V1KGT 18
  • City / Town: North West
Depends on the wind strength and direction. Yesterday on a motorway I could feel movement starting (at what looked like) between 70 and 80 indicated, whilst keeping up with traffic flow..........

Online argus

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 versys 1000 se
  • City / Town: Charlottetown, PE
Talk about wind. this bike is like a sail boat on the Confederation Bridge from Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick with side winds of 60 K this bike wants to go with it.
On the way back from N.B. passing a passenger bus at 130 Km/H in a marsh area just before the bridge I was riding sideways to keep the bike going forward.
It didn't happen with my Kawi Voyager 1700 at 906 Lbs that for sure. C :034:an't wait for September windy rain here in the Maritimes region it look like is going to be a lot of fun  :034:
Kickstand

Online Floydsz1

• Versys God
  • Bike: Versys 1000 2019
  • City / Town: Morecambe
there you go, nothing to worry about

seems fairly obvious to me, eat more pies and it wont weave.
Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:41:07 PM by Floydsz1

Offline Sir Rupert

• Versys Pro
Strong, gusty winds in this part of the world today. Despite a big screen (Givi Airflow) and an empty 47 litre topbox (no panniers though) I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary even at motorway speeds.  :761:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Theov39

• Versys Member
  • Bike: V1000 maybe!
  • City / Town: Sydney
*Originally Posted by Floydsz1 [+]
there you go, nothing to worry about

seems fairly obvious to me, eat more pies and it wont weave.

Excellent video. I wonder if wobble and weave is inherent to the design of motorbikes or if contemporary bikes are less prone to it?

Offline uralrob

• Versys Pro
  • Bike: 2015 V1k, 2008 V650
  • City / Town: Bridgewater N.S.
*Originally Posted by argus [+]
Talk about wind. this bike is like a sail boat on the Confederation Bridge from Prince Edward Island to New Brunswick with side winds of 60 K this bike wants to go with it.
On the way back from N.B. passing a passenger bus at 130 Km/H in a marsh area just before the bridge I was riding sideways to keep the bike going forward.
It didn't happen with my Kawi Voyager 1700 at 906 Lbs that for sure. C :034:an't wait for September windy rain here in the Maritimes region it look like is going to be a lot of fun  :034:

The Confederation Bridge is the exception. I had my worst crosswind ever over the Strait on a V 650 with V35 bags and a tall screen. All I could do to keep the bike in it's lane. I may have been the last bike across that day as about 20 minutes later the bridge was closed to high sided vehicles and motorcycles.
 The Prairies in a cross wind are a cakewalk compared to the Bridge, as is the Tantramar Marsh.

Rob.
Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:26:48 PM by uralrob

Offline Funk man

• Versys Member
  • Bike: 2019 versys 1000
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: I need help! Hi speed wobble, shimmy, tank-slapper or holy sh*t mo
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2019, 01:34:15 PM
Glad your safe mate, I had a high speed wobble years ago on my R1 and can confirm its pretty  :172: scary. Personally I got the high speed riding out my system a long time ago, maybe because I have 3 girls. For me its all about the corners

Offline Miks

• Versys Member
  • Yes....I am a movie star!
  • Bike: 19 Versys 1000 SE LT
  • City / Town: Sioux Falls
My experience with a shimmy from the front end has always been a tire pressure problem.  To test the phugoid oscillation problem, I accelerate to a speed close to where I experienced the shimmy, close the throttle and release the handlebars.  As the bike decelerates, sometimes it would start to oscillate, and so I knew it was repeatable.  I tried changing the tire pressure a few psi down first, and see what it does.  Also, ensure the rear tire pressure is correct for the spec.  Usually I have found an over-inflation.

waggish